Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842481 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #550 on: March 01, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »
The meter could just be that it's not the right battery inside.
check this out
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #551 on: March 03, 2014, 01:34:25 AM »
The P6 Terry sent me, with Kiev 88 to P6 adapter. And a Volna 3 (Kiev mount) I had lying about.

You folk are scoring some fantastic gear. That Pentacon 6 is a thing of beauty, Ezzie.

At the other end of the spectrum, I just picked up a Canon T70 body for $4.50 USD. I've seen people enthuse about the T70 and T90, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It's not my typical fare, but it's fun and I have glass that fits, so how could I resist?

If you haven't held one, they're kind of Canon's last stand with the FD lenses, pre-autofocus. Which means they have a tendency to beep. Upsides: pretty compact, AE-1P style program options in three different flavors and a pair of AA batteries run the autowinder and rewind. Downsides: asymmetric, "fiddly little negatives" and an old standard flash will blow one up. I threw a 50mm f/1.8 and an orange filter on, some Kentmere 100 and away we go. With the autowinder I should be through this roll by Wednesday. ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #552 on: March 03, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »
The P6 Terry sent me, with Kiev 88 to P6 adapter. And a Volna 3 (Kiev mount) I had lying about.

You folk are scoring some fantastic gear. That Pentacon 6 is a thing of beauty, Ezzie.

At the other end of the spectrum, I just picked up a Canon T70 body for $4.50 USD. I've seen people enthuse about the T70 and T90, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It's not my typical fare, but it's fun and I have glass that fits, so how could I resist?

If you haven't held one, they're kind of Canon's last stand with the FD lenses, pre-autofocus. Which means they have a tendency to beep. Upsides: pretty compact, AE-1P style program options in three different flavors and a pair of AA batteries run the autowinder and rewind. Downsides: asymmetric, "fiddly little negatives" and an old standard flash will blow one up. I threw a 50mm f/1.8 and an orange filter on, some Kentmere 100 and away we go. With the autowinder I should be through this roll by Wednesday. ;)

Never owned a T50 or T70 but I owned a T90 and absolutely loved it. If I had some FD glass, I'd bag a T90 again as it had a superb 8 point spot / averaging (high key / low key) meter and was, IMO, beautifully balanced in the hand.  I think they actually did make a couple of battery-powered AF lenses for T-series cameras but then the Eos system appeared shortly thereafter - and that's when I fell out of love with Canion.  I didn't find the viewfinders good for a high prespcription spectacles wearer and the handling wasn't as ergonomically friendly as the Nikons I tried. 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #553 on: March 03, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »

I really like the look and feel of it. If it performs too I must say I am surprised it doesn't have a bigger following. Soon a Kiev 6C will arrive, as part of a swap deal with my Flexaret. So I will be able to see how the Russian take on the super 135 SLR type 6x6 is anywhere as good as the P6
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #554 on: March 03, 2014, 01:52:30 PM »
I have to say that Pentacon Six is a very underrated camera.. Among all those cameras that I have tried, the only one that I sometimes regret selling (well, together with the Leica M2) is the Pentacon 6... At least I can live with the thought, that it's making someone else happy.   ;)
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #555 on: March 03, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »

I really like the look and feel of it. If it performs too I must say I am surprised it doesn't have a bigger following. Soon a Kiev 6C will arrive, as part of a swap deal with my Flexaret. So I will be able to see how the Russian take on the super 135 SLR type 6x6 is anywhere as good as the P6

Before you know it you will be lusting for a sonnar 180/2.8    ;)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #556 on: March 05, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
The EF has arrived, and boy is it handsome. Also a very well thought out camera (and system). Main issue is the rather clumsy DoF preview handling (when you are in AE mode). Apart from that though it a dream to use.

Black Beauty by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #557 on: March 06, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
I have to say that Pentacon Six is a very underrated camera.. Among all those cameras that I have tried, the only one that I sometimes regret selling (well, together with the Leica M2) is the Pentacon 6... At least I can live with the thought, that it's making someone else happy.   ;)

Oh, yes! It's making me very happy Andrej! I treated it with a amazingly expensive CLA, bought a metered prism and now it's my most used medium format camera.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #558 on: March 06, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
Also, the Voigtländer Bessa R2 arrived on Monday. I'm currently shooting my first roll with it with an Industar 61 L/D and I like it a lot. I'm especially happy that I can see the 35mm frame lines. I can already see a 35mm lens in my future :D

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #559 on: March 06, 2014, 10:52:45 PM »
I got a great deal on an M645 body and prism. Well it is awesome deal if the stuff works. It is being sold as not working. If it isn't working the $23 will still be a good investment in spare parts  ;)

If it works I will probably trade it to Mike for some stuff to seduce him into shooting 645  ::)

It will probably be the last camera stuff I buy for a while as I just bought the snowboard I have been lusting after (a 2014 Burton Custom — the old skool cambered version, no rocker malarkey for this cowboy) so my fun money is now long gone!!!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »

I've owned two T70s in the past - or maybe it was three. I can't say I ever loved them but they did their job with a certain charm. I particularly liked the "splutter-splutter-wheeze" noise the autowind made when fitted with rechargeable batteries. The top LCD cover fell off on my first one and it was secured by the same piece of sellotape for about 10 years.

T90s - had two of those but both fell victim to the EEE shutter problem. I did find myself looking for one on eBay the other day though. At the moment my Canon FD lenses are used on a black FTb QL.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #561 on: March 07, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »
The HORIZON 202 arrived today - looks like fun.. Anyone using one of these?
Even managed to load a long forgotten roll of Kodak Double X to try it out..
If only I could get that dratted cold out of my head and take it out for a spin...

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »
One of these days I would love to shoot panos. I cant justify the cost though for some reason. I always seem to get cold feet eventually with it.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
One of these days I would love to shoot panos. I cant justify the cost though for some reason. I always seem to get cold feet eventually with it.

Have you considered 35mm cropped to panorama in camera? There are quite a few point and shoots that offer it and even some SLRs (the Minolta 500si is one of them, I think). Yes, the negative is small, but you actually frame differently when you see the panorama through the viewfinder. See http://urbanhafnerphotography.com/blog/?tag=minolta+riva+panorama for a few examples of mine.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2014, 09:02:21 PM »
Ive got two panoramic format cameras from Lomography and can't really complain about them. Granted it's not the same quality as a Noblex/Widelux/Horizon/Roundshot but it's still good enough to get addicted.

The Sprocket rocket gives somewhat Holga like results, but it's easy to use and focus. It also prints one image on two frames in true panoramic fashion.
The other is the Spinner. Since it uses only the center of the image, you get surprisingly sharp results from it. If I had to make a list of my favorite cameras, it would definitely make the list.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #565 on: March 07, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
I think If I ended up going it would have to be the full 24mm. I had been considering an xpan for a little while. Or even a 135W back for my bronica. I would want something nice and high quality. But right now Im nice and happy with my 6x7 and big neg cameras. GAS for pano isnt high with me.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #566 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
I remember seeing a 35mm pano-insert for Pentax 67, if that is your 67 gig, you may try going that way...
Anyway, the Horizon isn't expensive (or at least mine wasn't) and I am really curious about it. Will have to wait a few days do get something done though..

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #567 on: March 07, 2014, 11:09:27 PM »
Ive got two panoramic format cameras from Lomography and can't really complain about them. Granted it's not the same quality as a Noblex/Widelux/Horizon/Roundshot but it's still good enough to get addicted.

The Sprocket rocket gives somewhat Holga like results, but it's easy to use and focus. It also prints one image on two frames in true panoramic fashion.
The other is the Spinner. Since it uses only the center of the image, you get surprisingly sharp results from it. If I had to make a list of my favorite cameras, it would definitely make the list.

I've got a sprocket rocket but for me the novelty has worn of I rarely take it with me and if I do I have to let lomo develop them so I can see the results with the holes in the picture which is cool but it only does that and it costs more to run then compared to home development, I got bored with it. And from time to time I find the quality of the shots not living up to my expectations.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #568 on: March 08, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »
The trick with it is to scan at home using a special scanning jig.
Check the articles sections in the Contraptions series for my DIY glass negative holder. It works very well for scanning sprockets.

I also have the Digitaliza negative holder which works quite well (unless you have really curly negatives)... something that isn't a problem for my DIY film holder.
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #569 on: March 12, 2014, 02:59:24 AM »
Two new arrivals here in recent weeks.

The first is a Yashica GSN I found at an antiques place for $15. On the plus side, the cosmetics were really good and it came with a full case in nice shape. Unfortunately, the battery was corroded in place and the Pad of Death had died long ago. I extricated the battery and cleaned up the terminals, cleaned everything else inside and out (the shutter wasn't bad at all, but I cleaned it anyway), and replaced the POD with a new piece of hard neoprene. Add a new 28L battery in a cobbled-together adapter and it works perfectly (test roll exposed and developed).

The second is a pretty rare camera, or so I'm led to believe by the Interweb: an Olympus Pen D3. This is a near-last-of-the-line Pen, the last of the classic bodied ones, fitted with full manual controls, a CdS meter, and a six-element 32/1.7 lens. This one led a much harder life than the Yashica. It's got bumps and bruises, the meter doesn't work despite my efforts thus far, the front lens element has got some significant pock-marking from something (but the rest of the glass is clear, thankfully), and the shutter was misbehaving in any number of ways - good thing I didn't pay too much for it. I tried half-measures, but in the end I had to completely disassemble the thing right down to the shutter blades (which had decided to fall out of their intended positions somehow) and rebuild it. Fingers crossed it actually works as designed now (test film is in and waiting to be shot).

I added the hoods to both. I like hoods for my cameras, plus I understand the Yashica can be prone to flare. The Olympus needs all the help it can get with the front element looking like it does.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:13:59 PM by 02Pilot »
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #570 on: March 12, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
The HORIZON 202 arrived today - looks like fun.. Anyone using one of these?

I've got one of those. There are a few things to look out for.
The advance lever can come loose to the point where you can no longer wind it on.
Cure is to remove the little screw holding the plastic cover on the lever, and then retighten the nut holding the lever on the mechanism.

Another problem i've noticed on mine sometimes I get a bright line down the image in one spot.
Never worked out what it is but it might be flare as it only happens in sunlight. If I'm in shade it doesn't.

eastbourne-h202-014 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

The other thing to watch out for is keeping your fingers out of shot!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #571 on: March 12, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
The line could be either some grime in the mechanics that slow down the rotation at this point. This will happen if the line always appears in the exact same spot.
The line is due to the slit aperture used in panoramic cameras. Flare also should show as a single line.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #572 on: March 12, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »
I had that same problem on my Canonet and I solved it with new lightseals.

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #573 on: March 13, 2014, 07:38:08 AM »
My new TLR, with an (IMHO) impressive Xenar 3.5/75mm. I'm really excited.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #574 on: March 13, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
Thank you guys, my first prints from the Horizon are drying, the camera seems to work fine.

Domingo, congrats to the Rolleicord, they are very fine insreuments, mine is my most used camera.

Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #575 on: March 14, 2014, 12:09:03 PM »
I just picked up... inspiration!

I have a shed load of kit and enough film to feed my habit. What I have lacked recently is inspiration. I have met a newbie creative model who is artistic, full of ideas and keen. And she has confidence to tell me what she doesn't like in my work and so I hope to develop her into a focussed muse. She's not for everything, but what she likes, she is pationate about.

What more could a jaded snapper ask for?
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #576 on: March 14, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »
The M645 1000s I got a week or so back

Mamiya M645 1000s by Eirik0304, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:34:49 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #577 on: March 14, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
......Voigtlander R4M, 35mm / f1.2 Nokton and 21mm/f4 Color-Skopar.  Nikon F and F2 went in as part of trade (still have F3HP, F5 and F6 - so not short of a Nikon 35mm SLR if I need one 8) )

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #578 on: March 14, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »
Very nice Paul. How about bringing them to Munich so that I can have a look? ;D I've been thinking about the 35mm f/1.2 myself (and the R4 as a possible second body).

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #579 on: March 14, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
Very nice Paul. How about bringing them to Munich so that I can have a look? ;D I've been thinking about the 35mm f/1.2 myself (and the R4 as a possible second body).

They will definitely be there, Urban.  The R4M, as you probably know, has bright lines for 21, 25, 28, 35 and 50mm lenses - so it's a great camera for street work / wide lenses.  I also like it as I'm much more used to the loading mechanism.  Great, light kit for walkabout.  The 35mm/f1.2 is version 1.  I get the impression that the version 2 is also very good.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #580 on: March 14, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »
Great! I wear glasses so rangefinders are a bit problematic for me. It will be interesting to see if I can even see the 21mm frame lines. v2 of the CV 35mm f/1.2 is supposed to have better build quality than v1. I'm not sure if there are other differences.

David A-W

« Reply #581 on: March 14, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
My Petzval has arrived - it's a beautiful thing though I think it'll take a while before I get the best out of the lens

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #582 on: March 14, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »
So you bit the bullet for the Lomo Petzval...
I can't wait to see if it lives up to the hype.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #583 on: March 15, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »
Great! I wear glasses so rangefinders are a bit problematic for me. It will be interesting to see if I can even see the 21mm frame lines. v2 of the CV 35mm f/1.2 is supposed to have better build quality than v1. I'm not sure if there are other differences.

I believe it's a 0.58 magnification finder and, as a fellow spectacles wearer, I can vouch for it allowing you to see the 21mm frame lines. I've seen some comments that the 0.58 magnification makes it difficult to focus precisely but I've had no such problem, even with an f1.2 lens wide open. The other benefit is that the R4M / R4A are the only cameras with 21mm frame lines in the viewfinder - which saves having to use an external viewfinder to compose and have to focus separately using the camera's finder. With a 21mm lens, pre-focused to 15 feet or so, it's virtually a point and shoot from f5.6 upwards!!

You may be right about the v2 of the lens. All I know is that the v2 is a few mm smaller and has a bayonet fit hood.  Optically, I'm struggling to fault the v1 and it's also built like a tank, so the v2 must really be something if it is any better.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #584 on: March 15, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
Thanks Paul, that sounds encouraging. Although, I do use my left eye for focusing, too so I'm even further away from the finder. But I guess I'll find out soon enough if it works for me.

David A-W

« Reply #585 on: March 16, 2014, 12:59:02 AM »
So you bit the bullet for the Lomo Petzval...
I can't wait to see if it lives up to the hype.

Me too - first results (posted on 52Rolls) were ok but not special. I'm at the stage where I think this new Petzval isn't that much different from, say my LTM Summarit f1,5 at wide open, but that I don't have another lens for my Nikon that does this so I may as well enjoy it.  I think it may come into its elements for taking portraits of people with sunny foliage background far enough away - and the branches are too bare at the moment to achieve that.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #586 on: March 16, 2014, 09:32:50 PM »
Just picked up a Yashica Minimatic-c. I had to get the top plate off to clean up the finder and take out a pointy piece of metal that was sticking out the front, but overall it is in pretty good condition for $3.00US. I have a roll of expired Tri-X in it to see how well the Selenium meter works. Can't wait to see what comes out. The film advance is like butter on this thing and the two blade shutter is pretty darned quiet. If it were a little smaller it would be perfect. As is it will probably compete with the rest of the 35mm stable for my attention.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Terry

« Reply #587 on: March 16, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »
Picked up a Ferrania Rondine on the 'bay for $20.  It was missing much of the (fake) leather and I had some sticky-backed leatherette handy so I did a temporary facelift and shot a roll of Portra 400 in it.  Published details say it's an f/8 1/60th but I think it's closer to f/11.  Anyhow, here's one frame from the roll.  It shoots 127 film but gives a vertically-oriented 4x6.5 frame.  I like the format.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #588 on: March 17, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Nice Terry, and soon you can get Ferrania film again, for your Ferrania.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Terry

« Reply #589 on: March 17, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »
Funny you should say that, Eirik.  It was certainly what piqued my interest in the first place.  I saw one of these in a junk shop and thought, 'Hey! Ferrania made cameras too!'  but the guy wanted $50 for it, so I started watching for them on ebay.  It will indeed be a good feeling to load this with Ferrania film!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #590 on: March 18, 2014, 11:58:34 PM »
I just got my Rolleiflex Automat back from Harry Fleenor of Oceanside Camera Repair.  A few months ago I wanted one of these, now I have two.  This one is by far in better cosmetic condition than the other and thanks to Harry it's in better mechanical condition.  When I first got it I found that the shutter speeds were way off.  I looked into fixing it myself but quickly decided that would be a bad idea.  Harry repaired the shutter and cleaned the lenses inside and out. 

Rolleifloex Automat K4B by bac1967, on Flickr

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #591 on: March 19, 2014, 08:07:04 PM »
over the past week or so these two lenses found their way to me from russia and the us. these will serve me well when I go to japan next week :)

OM2 kit by jojonas~, on Flickr

I'm thinking I'll buy most film there but ordered some fuji superia x-tra 400 to start things off. my gf ordered me to just use iso 400 film or faster (what? I thought the shots on kodak slide duplicating film in barcelona turned out nice! haha)

tips on what film to buy in the land of wonder?
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #592 on: March 19, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
I don't know but if you check out Tokyo Camera Style, you'll find plenty of places to visit for some awesome stuff. Map camera and Yodobashi camera come to mind in the Shinjuku district.

The big M and W on this map are the sites of the Map Camera stores
Francois

Terry

« Reply #593 on: March 19, 2014, 11:49:32 PM »
And important that Starbucks and KFC (PFK to you, Francois) are noted on the map too.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #594 on: March 20, 2014, 08:41:51 AM »
Yesterday, I bought a Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 to go with my Voigtländer Bessa R2 (and possibly Aksel's Leica M4-P  ;D).

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #595 on: March 20, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
A 305mm G-Claron - lighter than the huge Symmar for my 8x10 and prospectively a nice match for a 7x17...  ::)

Info Red

« Reply #596 on: March 20, 2014, 02:58:36 PM »
An original Diana, with the book. I have about 20 of these already, but can't pass up a junk shop bargain!

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #597 on: March 20, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
picked up a cheap INSTAX 200  :)
for more instant shooting.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #598 on: March 21, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »
Alan: enjoy the Instax. I loved mine, but it broke. Must get another one.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #599 on: March 22, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »

Yesterday, I bought a Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 to go with my Voigtländer Bessa R2 (and possibly Aksel's Leica M4-P  ;D).

Urban, sounds like your camera reduction plan is going well! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website