Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842431 times)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #450 on: January 07, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
I have used the self timer several times and it functioned correctly. This camera has been hardly
used so I think that P.A.D. situation won't happen for quite some time.  :)
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #451 on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »
If I was out on the street and had to sell all my leica gear to pay rent and had enough to just get one camera the electro would be my choice.

Hey Tintin how about rephrasing that to:  "If I sell my Leica gear to pay for migrating to 99% medium format and had enough left over to just get one 35mm camera the electro would be my choice."  ::) :P :o

All kidding aside, the electro is a great camera. And any product that has electrons circling a nucleus (like planets circling a sun) is awesome in my books! To hell with probability fields!!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #452 on: January 08, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Several new tools over the past couple weeks - An Exakta VXIIB, a Perfex thirty three, and a Clarus MS-35. All suitably esoteric and arcane.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #453 on: January 08, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »
Great find, Flippy! They are esoteric, arcane and obscure, at least the bottom two.  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #454 on: January 08, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
For most folks, even the Exacta is pretty off the beaten path.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #455 on: January 08, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »
I always loved the art deco look of the Clarus, along with the Mercury Univex. Something about that 1930s design aesthetic....
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #456 on: January 08, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
A long desired 45degree prism for my Bronica SQ.. A "handy" ( or eyey? ) little thing.

Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk

Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #457 on: January 08, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »
I have shot a roll so far with my newly bought toy . Yashica Electro 35 GSN and I'm satisfied with the results.
The camera functioned flawlessly, but I have found a problem with it - a partly fogged viewfinder window.

The first image was taken outside, slightly overcast, aperture 5.6, and the second was taken inside a department
store, aperture 1.7, focused at AC/DC shirt.

David A-W

« Reply #458 on: January 08, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »
Oh dear. Just what I do not need - yet another camera. I do like them though. :-[

This time its an Exa 1a in excellent condition. The thing that really strikes me is that, despite this being an economy model, that this is a beautifully made camera with a great, solid feel to it. Mine has the Meyer Domiplan lens which I look forward to proving just how bad it really is.

I also love the fact that there is not shutter as such, just the flip-up of the mirror exposes the film. This does mean the only shutter speeds are 1/30, 1/60, 1/25 and 1/175 + B. Think I'll start with some HP5+ and see how I get on with it.

FiatluX

• Cookbook chef
    • The Caffenol Cookbook
« Reply #459 on: January 09, 2014, 02:27:20 AM »
Just got myself a pair of Bowens Esprit 500 mk1´s, stands, umbrella/brolly, barndoors and snoot with 3 honeycombs.. Was a steal really, couldn´t resist!
So after 25 years of mostly using tungsten lights I´m finally coming around to modern tech as far as lights go! :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:55:09 AM by FiatluX »

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #460 on: January 10, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »
Three rolls Agfa Precisa off of ebay - good stuff - try it you'll like it.

PS: always nice to see somebody picking up an Exa.  :D

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #461 on: January 10, 2014, 03:03:57 AM »
Fluminian, I really wanted to like the Yashica Electro GSN (I really love the look of them and the lens), but either I got a lemon or its owner is one, I failed to connect entirely with it. I haven't passed mine on yet so I may give it another chance but I think I might have given my heart to another... Here's my story of the latest edition to the harem.

Last year I had bought a job lot which had in it an Olympus RC. I sort of ignored it as I pegged myself as "not a rangefinder guy" but I love cute cameras so I played with it and I really came to like it. A casual, light, very compact rangefinder with a sharp lens with styling similar to my beloved Trip 35. But frankly I wanted a little more out of it. So I've been on the prowl for her more robust kin, the SP.

So one came up on fleabay, poorly described & badly photographed. I gambled, managed to get it for a decent price ($40) and figured at the very least I could use it for a parts camera if it was in poor shape. I was surprised to get it finally and find that it was in fairly good shape! Had some severe battery corrosion but it cleaned up nicely. Lens is nice and clean (42mm f/1.7 G.Zuiko lens!), rangefinder looks fine and bright. Popped a battery in and the metre lives (and seems accurate)!

We'll see if it lives up to its fame but regardless I'm looking forward to shooting with it!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:15:58 AM by Hungry Mike »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #462 on: January 10, 2014, 03:47:39 AM »
Three rolls Agfa Precisa off of ebay - good stuff - try it you'll like it.

I did the same a few months ago, for the purpose of cross-processing in C41. I thought, based on the Flickr photos I saw, that it would give me a blue-shifted xpro. What happened was that I got a very yellow-shifted xpro, with lots of greens, too. See here. Just developed the last roll of the batch tonight, and I must say good riddance (because it was not what I'd expected, not because it's not good film ;) )

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #463 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
Fluminian, I really wanted to like the Yashica Electro GSN (I really love the look of them and the lens), but either I got a lemon or its owner is one, I failed to connect entirely with it. I haven't passed mine on yet so I may give it another chance but I think I might have given my heart to another... Here's my story of the latest edition to the harem.

Last year I had bought a job lot which had in it an Olympus RC. I sort of ignored it as I pegged myself as "not a rangefinder guy" but I love cute cameras so I played with it and I really came to like it. A casual, light, very compact rangefinder with a sharp lens with styling similar to my beloved Trip 35. But frankly I wanted a little more out of it. So I've been on the prowl for her more robust kin, the SP.

So one came up on fleabay, poorly described & badly photographed. I gambled, managed to get it for a decent price ($40) and figured at the very least I could use it for a parts camera if it was in poor shape. I was surprised to get it finally and find that it was in fairly good shape! Had some severe battery corrosion but it cleaned up nicely. Lens is nice and clean (42mm f/1.7 G.Zuiko lens!), rangefinder looks fine and bright. Popped a battery in and the metre lives (and seems accurate)!

We'll see if it lives up to its fame but regardless I'm looking forward to shooting with it!

I like mine very much. The only problem I've found so far is that it has a partly fogged front viewfinder glass. I took some great images with the
camera, but the viewfinder bothered me enough to send it to  a camera repairman in Zagreb. I hope to have lots of happy hours shooting it after
it returns. In the meantime I'll play with Don's and Verian's little Canons. Incidentally, have you solved the problem with the Ricoh?

Here is an image I took the other day with my Yashica:

fiat500 by Fluminian, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #464 on: January 10, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »
......I've just had 25 rolls of 36 exposure 35mm film (mixture of XP2 Super, Provia 100f and Velvia 100f) and two rolls of 120 Provia 100 film processed and delivered by Genie Imaging. They seem to have done a really good job and, if you order on-line, they charge the princely sum of £2.95 per film - irrespective of whether it's E6 or C41.

I've now got my Route 66 photos (35mm XP2 and Provia 100f) all processed as well as a load of Velvia 100f I shot on Skye a couple of years ago.

All I've got to do now is scan them.......aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!!  :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #465 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »
......I've just had 25 rolls of 36 exposure 35mm film (mixture of XP2 Super, Provia 100f and Velvia 100f) and two rolls of 120 Provia 100 film processed and delivered by Genie Imaging. They seem to have done a really good job and, if you order on-line, they charge the princely sum of £2.95 per film - irrespective of whether it's E6 or C41.

I've now got my Route 66 photos (35mm XP2 and Provia 100f) all processed as well as a load of Velvia 100f I shot on Skye a couple of years ago.

All I've got to do now is scan them.......aaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!!  :o

Just popped over and had a look at their site, £2.29 for 120 film processing (and prints I think), that's a bargain!
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

benjiboy

• 35mm
« Reply #466 on: January 10, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »
I haven't bought any photographic equipment lately, but I did manage to exchange my 70 year old wife for two thirty five year olds recently   8)
Ben

johnha

« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2014, 01:37:52 AM »
I've obtained another example of my first 35mm SLR, a Miranda MS2-Super (essentially an auto/manual 'ME Super' clone with Pentax K mount). I believe it was made by Cosina around 1987 and branded Miranda by Dixons. I still have my original, but the film speed dial only operates the meter correctly up to ISO 64. It's not as slick as the Pentax's, but the new one seems OK without running film through it.

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #468 on: January 13, 2014, 03:13:45 AM »
It had been quite some time since I bought a new camera, but this came up on our local Craigslist and I couldn't resist. The price was right at $180 (Canadian$$$) It was missing the 8x10 ground glass and the lens has a bit of separation, but I have already ordered a new ground glass. It also came with a 4X5 reducing back and an extension rail. The long term goal it to shoot some Wet Plate Collodion images with it.
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #469 on: January 13, 2014, 03:15:09 AM »
Just added another 6x6 to the family. Rolleicord Va. Something MF that I can keep with my leica kit and keep it portable. Needs a CLA for shutter speeds lower than 1/8th but bulb works and I managed to free up 1/15th.

Got it for a decent price ($150). Hopefully paying someone to free up those slower speeds won't cost too much.

Untitled by nownownownow, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #470 on: January 13, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
Just added another 6x6 to the family. Rolleicord Va. Something MF that I can keep with my leica kit and keep it portable. Needs a CLA for shutter speeds lower than 1/8th but bulb works and I managed to free up 1/15th.

Got it for a decent price ($150). Hopefully paying someone to free up those slower speeds won't cost too much.

I just got a great deal on a Rolleiflex Automat K4A with a Schneider Xenar lens but after checking it out this weekend it needs some work on the shutter.  The speeds are a little off and it sticks every now and then.  I was going to contact Harry Fleenor at Oceanside Camera Repair in Manhattan Beach, CA to see about having him make it useable.  Since I only paid $50 for it I think I can invest a little more to get it working properly.  It looks like he charges around $134 to work on the shutter.

http://www.rolleirepairs.com/cla.htm

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #471 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
It had been quite some time since I bought a new camera, but this came up on our local Craigslist and I couldn't resist. The price was right at $180 (Canadian$$$) It was missing the 8x10 ground glass and the lens has a bit of separation, but I have already ordered a new ground glass. It also came with a 4X5 reducing back and an extension rail. The long term goal it to shoot some Wet Plate Collodion images with it.
Let me guess: a Burke & James!
Francois

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #472 on: January 13, 2014, 03:05:54 PM »
Burke & James is correct. I can't wait to get out shooting with it.
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #473 on: January 13, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »
They're the only ones who could cover nice wood with battleship gray (possibly loaded with lead) paint!
Francois

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #474 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:35 AM »
A pretty 80mm macro for my 645. Will love to try it out outside tomorrow!

While the std. 80mm lens is not much bigger than a 135 format std lens, this one is beefy! (The pics compare it to the regular 80mm.)

---------------

soeren

« Reply #475 on: January 15, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
Please take your time to make a review and post some pics from that one McDuff.
Best regards
Soeren
Naestved, Denmark

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #476 on: January 15, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
Will do soeren. I want to use the lens as a "walking about lens" that just so happens to allow close focussing, so I am expecting a fair bit from it! I do know a part of the review already will include "compared to the regular 80mm f2.8, this sucker is big and heavy" but the build quality is excellent.

But perhaps I will save the rest for a comparative review of it to the 80mm f2.8.

One last comment that is more general and not specific to this lens: I have heard that buying used gear  Japan is a positive experience. This lens was from Japan and it (like much of the gear I have looked at on eBay from Japan) was in amazing condition. I think there is a ton of gear in Japan in great shape for reasonable prices. Additionally, the shipping was no more than if it was coming from USA. I am sure there are shopping horror stories from everywhere but so far I am impressed.
Please take your time to make a review and post some pics from that one McDuff.
Best regards

---------------

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #477 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »

I don't need another Exa by berangberang, on Flickr

I got another Exa... because I wanted the lens on it. It's very hard to find Exakta-Era wide angle lenses for decent prices these days since the digital folk have blown the prices up lately. I'll try to get the exa working and then I might send it off as a travel cam once I find a less exotic lens to travel with it.  :)

I still have a Kiev 4 in the post... but I've promised myself to only buy film and not cameras after that.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #478 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:37 PM »
a ticket to japan for the end of march (I'm turning 30!).
I've got about 80€ in the bank after that purchase so I'll be saving every penny from now on! ofcourse I'll see to it so I can report back here after the trip ;)
/jonas

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #479 on: January 16, 2014, 09:05:45 AM »
a ticket to japan for the end of march (I'm turning 30!).
I've got about 80€ in the bank after that purchase so I'll be saving every penny from now on! ofcourse I'll see to it so I can report back here after the trip ;)

Congrats, Jonas, that's a great gift to yourself... I wonder what shall I pick up for my 30 this year...

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #480 on: January 16, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
Sad news. Pentax 67 arrived today, sadly, the body seems to be not working properly. Now to look for a technician... :(

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #481 on: January 16, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »
Sad news. Pentax 67 arrived today, sadly, the body seems to be not working properly. Now to look for a technician... :(
bummer! you can't return it for a refund?
/jonas

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #482 on: January 16, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »
I know what i'll be picking up tomorrow night, quite a few pints of Real Ale  ;D

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #483 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »
bummer! you can't return it for a refund?
Nope. For the first time in long long while I trusted my luck with a non-refund ebay auction. Luckily it was cheap-ish. Will call some repairmen tomorrow, will see how it turn out. It's a lovely camera to handle though, so I hope to get it going. Or pick up another body.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #484 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »
Just picked up, as in not used it since I bought it last winter. Super Ikonta with Tessar 75/3.5
Got a full cla before I bought it last year but the rangefinder is off by several meters at ∞.
I intended to let this compact 6x6 serve as my everyday 120 camera now, but I need to get the focus fixed.  So the big Q. Does anyone know of a place in the UK, or Europe that are to be trusted servicing my little beauty?

Cheers,
Aksel

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #485 on: January 17, 2014, 06:25:54 AM »
It finally arrived - a Kiev 4. Pretty cool.  8)  It even broke five minutes after I got it. The fixes were relatively simple - but getting access to the parts that needed fixing was a pain. No more cameras for me this year.  :-X

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #486 on: January 17, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
Not the best available but a good place for me to start, and quite cheap.

verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #487 on: January 18, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »
A long wait is over, my ONDU has arrived. 6x6 and pretty compact. Time to load it up with film.

My ONDU by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #488 on: January 18, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »
A tiny Canon Dial 35 2, everything works, but the shutter. Considering how much I got it for, I guess it's OK.

I like how this camera works, manual features that's pretty hard to find outside a PEN in half frame. I think it's time to get this thing a snapping.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #489 on: January 18, 2014, 10:07:11 PM »
A new changing bag to replace my ten year-old baggie which had collapsed and shredded after a second time in the washing machine ...

And a copy of "Lucien Aigner", 1979, one of the ICP Library of Photographers series, edited by Cornell Capa.  A contemporary and friend of Robert Capa, Aigner was best known for his shot of Mussolini sneezing, but he also took other remarkable portraits, (Dietrich, Chaplin, Hitler, Einstein) and street shots.  It's a well-worn copy, ex-library and dogchewed in one corner, but oddly enough it has Aigner's signature on the inside page.

But I'm not sure when I last picked up a camera myself.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #490 on: January 18, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »
A long wait is over, my ONDU has arrived. 6x6 and pretty compact. Time to load it up with film.

Looks stunning Ezzie! 25mm focal distance, was it? Super tempted after having a look at their site  ::)

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #491 on: January 19, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »
a Minolta 2.8/24mm VFC (Variable Field Curvature); it's a wide angle lens with a floating element.
If you rotate the ring on the front you can change the plane of sharp from flat to convex or to concave.
A bargain, i couldn't resist.....

a 122m roll Fuji F-125 (motion picture color negative)
I came across this film after i visited a german forum. Someone asked: "How can i remove rem jet
coating?" I never heard of "rem jet". Searched the net, found a HowTo-video on YouTube, and this roll on
ebay. Let's see, what will happen...

an old casket lens set.
Depending on the lenses you use, you have
- focal lengths between 100mm and 750mm,
- image circles which will cover formats from 7x10cm up to 50x60cm.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #492 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »

Looks stunning Ezzie! 25mm focal distance, was it? Super tempted after having a look at their site  ::)
Yepp 25mm on 6x6, 15 or 18mm depending on how you look at it equivalent on 135. So it is wide! Will need some time to adapt to it I think. We'll see.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
ITS HERE!

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2014, 06:47:01 PM »
Congrats, TinTin! Wishing you better luck than I've had with the lovely Pentax.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »
Id be lying if I said I wasn't super excited. Its too bad though I just bought a rolleicord about 3 weeks ago that will be collecting more dust than initially expected.

So far so good on the camera. I wish I had more time to get a test roll through it.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »
Just got an untested Minolta SRT101 off of the 'bay for $20. Predictably, it's busted ... the mirror does not flip up. I know nothing about repairing cameras, should I dive into this and attempt to fix it? Or is it a relatively-affordable paperweight?

FiatluX

• Cookbook chef
    • The Caffenol Cookbook
« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
Could be some of the mirror damper foam turned into sticky black goo in the mechanism somewhere..

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #498 on: January 29, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
A SRT 101 has a MLU, I would check that first. I have a SRT 202, it's darn near impossible to bust it. Still light tight with with it's original light seals and just has a sticky meter.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #499 on: January 29, 2014, 09:13:49 PM »
MLU = mirror lockup unit? Like I said, I know zero about cameras :) I downloaded an SRT101 service manual and it looks like I can pull out the whole mirror box and there's a lever that can be adjusted, but I got 2 screws out and the rest are stymieing my attempts at removing them without stripping the heads :(