Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842432 times)

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #4450 on: December 03, 2022, 01:19:07 PM »
It looks like my rate of filmwasting might accelerate sometime in the future...

Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4451 on: December 03, 2022, 02:48:58 PM »
16mm....
Now that is proper filmmaking material.
Too bad it also falls into BMW territory, as in Break My Wallet land. 😁
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #4452 on: December 03, 2022, 04:29:53 PM »
Oh, I am still in denial about that :)

ORWO is supposed to have their next batch of UN54 16mm available from January. I will try Caffenol C-F, and build my own Telecine.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 04:32:34 PM by rotarysmp »
Mark

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4453 on: December 03, 2022, 04:57:07 PM »
It looks like my rate of filmwasting might accelerate sometime in the future...
Nice one!  I have an 8mm, very well built cameras.  I almost exclusively shoot Ektachrome and send it to a lab for processing. 
Beaulieu TR8 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #4454 on: December 03, 2022, 06:10:38 PM »
They are a wonder piece of design. Love those swoopy curves. It is also a very nicely laid out interface, everything just falls into place.
Mark

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4455 on: December 03, 2022, 07:42:13 PM »
They are a wonderful piece of design. Love those swoopy curves. It is also a very nicely laid out interface, everything just falls into place.

Agree. Used one back in my educational film production days, along with a Canon Scoopic and the Bolex here, which was much better suited for animation. The Beaulieu is a beautiful camera to use.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:46:53 PM by EarlJam »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4456 on: December 03, 2022, 08:57:20 PM »
Still got my grandpa's 8mm Bolex. I just love it's clicky sound when it runs 😁
Francois

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #4457 on: December 03, 2022, 11:08:14 PM »
Cool. I like doing time lapses in my machining videos.

On the front of the Beaulieu, below the round lens board, above the shutter button is a lever. Do you remember what it does?
Mark

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4458 on: December 03, 2022, 11:11:55 PM »
I just used my Bolex D-8L today to film myself shoveling snow.  We got a few inches last night then the sun came out today, great conditions to film.  My Bolex cameras definitely get used the most for home movies.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4459 on: December 04, 2022, 12:48:53 AM »
Cool. I like doing time lapses in my machining videos.

On the front of the Beaulieu, below the round lens board, above the shutter button is a lever. Do you remember what it does?

If memory serves, that's the turret lock, although it's been decades since I last used an R16. Someone has helpfully posted a manual PDF at the link

http://www.vintagecameras.fr/images/MonSite/BEAULIEU/R16_Automatic/_doc/Beaulieu_R16-Automatic_Manual_en.pdf

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #4460 on: December 04, 2022, 07:32:45 AM »
Thanks for that. It makes sense why this does nothing on mine. It is the "Special Zoom" version, with only a single C-Mount on the lens board.
Mark

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4461 on: December 04, 2022, 03:17:28 PM »
I just used my Bolex D-8L today to film myself shoveling snow.  We got a few inches last night then the sun came out today, great conditions to film.  My Bolex cameras definitely get used the most for home movies.
When my mom was young, grandpa used to play the movies in reverse instead of doing a quick rewind. Mom says that seeing people put the snow back into place was one of the highlights of movie nights 😁
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4462 on: December 05, 2022, 09:30:59 PM »
Pentax S1a
was gifted to me from a dear friend!
Had a bit of a stubborn/clingy shutter curtain, but a delicate drop of oil on the gears under the bottom plate has it humming happy tunes again!
It's quite a beautiful camera, no battery needed, nor wanted.
It's the kind of camera you are instantly comfortable with too.
it came with a f/2 lens, but I had a 1.8 so am using it to test.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4463 on: December 05, 2022, 11:01:05 PM »
Pentax S1a
Had a bit of a stubborn/clingy shutter curtain, but a delicate drop of oil on the gears under the bottom plate has it humming happy tunes again!

That looks almost exactly the same as my H3v.  I looked them up and the only difference is the H3v has a top speed of 1/1000 compared to 1/500 for the S1a.  Also, the H3v has a self timer.  I think my H3v has a problem, I'll have to get it out and see if it's an easy fix.  It seems like a really nice camera. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4464 on: December 06, 2022, 02:35:50 PM »
Pentax S1a
You just have to love a camera that can be fixed easily simply by accessing the bottom plate.
I've been fighting a Kiev 6c for over a week and sadly have to declare that it has won the fight. So I'm in the process of heavily modifying it to simplify the timing system in order to simply make it operational.
Francois

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #4465 on: December 07, 2022, 02:08:21 PM »
My first camera was an S1A. Nicely made.
Mark

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4466 on: December 11, 2022, 12:44:34 AM »
Back in '77, I bought a used but extremely well-cared for Mamiya C3 kit with two lenses, 80mm and 135mm. The camera was my mainstay for medium format paid jobs, and for various family and vacation photos for nearly 40 years. Over time, I found a chimney finder and paramender, but could never find a decent wide angle at a price I was willing to pay . . . until this week. Forty-five years on, the Mamiya kit's complete (yay!) with the addition of a pristine, later generation 55/4.5.

No pictures yet, but here's an earlier B+W, shot with the 135mm, of she-who's-tolerated-my-hobby-for-the-past-46-years.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 01:13:15 AM by EarlJam »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4467 on: January 09, 2023, 01:41:26 PM »
Just received a TTArtisan hotshoe light meter from China. It's quite handy to put on any old camera without built-in light meter or on cameras where the light meter has stopped working. I did a quick check against my Seconic L-308S and it seems to be spot on.  It works just like the meter in the Voigtländer Bessa L with over- and underexposure indicators. The only drawback I've seen so far is that you cannot change battery in the field. It requires a screwdriver and then there's a small screw that will get lost. I first thought of buying it from the TTArtisan webshop, but a check with ebay changed my mind. A brand new meter from ebay cost me less than half the price directly from TTArtisan. Strange world!
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4468 on: January 09, 2023, 02:27:21 PM »
I've been tempted by one of those for a few years now, but I never did get one.
I know some people complain about the small font used on the wheels. And others complain about battery life. But I really don't know whether this is true as there are always people who are unhappy about trivial things (and there are a lot of klutz out there).
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4469 on: January 09, 2023, 05:13:22 PM »
Given the small size of those wheels, the font could hardly be any larger. I have no trouble seeing the numbers, but maybe the silver version with black numbers are harder to see. As for batteries there are cheap no-brand ones and the slightly more expensive brand types. I found the difference was 20 cents a piece, so I went for the "expensive" ones. And then there is the temperature issue, which I believe some electric car owners in the US have discovered lately. When temperatures drop to -40C to -50C those cars are useless. Here I have never experienced temperatures below -20C and that's bad enough. In low temperatures it's wise to keep a light meter inside your jacket when not in use.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4470 on: January 09, 2023, 10:30:22 PM »
I must admit that I haven't seen sub -20°c temperatures in a very long time. So that wouldn't be much of a problem.
But these days, it's more finding enough light to photograph anything that's the issue as we haven't seen the sun in 21 days. Clouds on top of clouds days after day.

But the small font could be a deal breaker as I'm starting to need eyeglasses for anything under 10 points in size.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4471 on: February 03, 2023, 02:12:37 AM »
I probably paid too much for this Ansco Pix Panorama, $3.00 at an estate sale.  I remember Becky and others took the mask out, is there anything I should know before I just start yanking on it. 

Ansco Pix Panorama by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4472 on: February 03, 2023, 04:46:25 AM »
Bryan, $3.00 is a good price and it is relatively sharp for a"toy" cam. 
Nothing really to know other than it's a lot of fun.
Mines' sitting on my desk as I type this!

I probably paid too much for this Ansco Pix Panorama, $3.00 at an estate sale.  I remember Becky and others took the mask out, is there anything I should know before I just start yanking on it. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4473 on: February 03, 2023, 04:50:38 AM »
Bryan, $3.00 is a good price and it is relatively sharp for a"toy" cam. 
Nothing really to know other than it's a lot of fun.
Mines' sitting on my desk as I type this!

Did you pull the mask out?  I was looking at some of the pictures you took with it, looks like the mask may have still been in. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4474 on: February 03, 2023, 02:54:51 PM »
I'd try it as is first and then see how much you like it. You might want to leave it as is.
If not, there are plenty of things that can be done to it.
Though enlarging the film mask isn't a big deal as you can always crop out the excess part of the image if you want to get back to a panorama format.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 03:29:59 PM by Francois »
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4475 on: March 18, 2023, 12:42:26 PM »
I couldn't resist this beauty, luckily it was cheap. This version of the Wirgin Edixa Kadett was made in 1964-65 and came with a Steinheil Cassaron 2.8/50mm. It is an economy model, shutter speeds from1/30s to 1/500s, no auto-return mirror but with auto aperture and exchangeable viewfinders. The less that can go wrong, the better. I will probably get a prism finder, it will cost me more than twice the price I paid for camera and lens. The shutter will need a CLA, slowest speed like syrup. The lens aperture ring has lost contact with the blades, but I hope to fix that myself.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4476 on: March 18, 2023, 01:51:04 PM »
That is pretty sweet looking.
Since it hasn't got an automatic mirror return, you just have to avoid pointing it at the sun when the mirror is up.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4477 on: March 18, 2023, 09:16:13 PM »
That is pretty sweet looking.
Since it hasn't got an automatic mirror return, you just have to avoid pointing it at the sun when the mirror is up.

I always advance the film straight after I've taken a picture, so that should be ok. But it's more likely to happen with a rangefinder. I've never experienced a pinhole shutter cloth, maybe it's because I never stand still when I'm out shooting; always on the move looking around for a motif.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4478 on: March 19, 2023, 01:23:45 PM »
That's pretty much the best way to prevent this from happening.
Francois

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #4479 on: March 26, 2023, 12:31:52 PM »
I finally found a Konica WaiWai, under its US name "Film-in Super Wide", unopened. Seller from France, which is where I live, so shipping was cheap and I could find no reason to resist :D
I might even be crazy enough to shoot the roll, even though it was most probably not stored properly.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4480 on: March 26, 2023, 02:24:56 PM »
One of those new in box is definitely a rare thing these days.
If the film in it is anything like the roll of Konica that I developed last Friday, expect a negative with plenty of magenta and cyan, very little yellow.

And a big welcome to ya  :)
Francois

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #4481 on: March 26, 2023, 03:46:01 PM »
Thank you François!
Yeah I honestly don't expect much from it. I always keep some old c-41 chemistry around for such iffy rolls :)

A few weeks ago I developed a "brand new" Konica Film-in Panorama, expired 2004 but the person who sent it said it had been frozen most of the time. I shot it in good light and got decent results:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 03:49:51 PM by Phil Snaps »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4482 on: March 26, 2023, 05:39:57 PM »
I finally found a Konica WaiWai, under its US name "Film-in Super Wide", unopened. Seller from France, which is where I live, so shipping was cheap and I could find no reason to resist :D
I might even be crazy enough to shoot the roll, even though it was most probably not stored properly.

Hey, a new filmwaster, that doesn't happen every day! You are very welcome here!  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #4483 on: March 26, 2023, 08:27:54 PM »
Thank you Kai-san! I will write a little blurb in "Meet the Filmwasters" :)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4484 on: March 31, 2023, 05:31:06 PM »
Yashica Mimy S half frame.

I've been thinking of getting a half frame ever since the Travelling Olympus shenanigans. This one appeared recently. Apparently this version is quite rare. It came with a number of other items including an unused roll of FP3 dated 1968. The camera was introduced in about 1965 I think and it looks like this was used for only a short time then put away and hasn't seen daylight since. There was a card with it with the name of the original owner. I did a bit of research on him, he was in the RAF. The seller got it from a house clearance so probably the owner passed on. I just don't understand why leave a roll of unused film in the bag with the camera.

The shutter was stuck, not surprising after at least 50 years not being used. All working now though.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4485 on: March 31, 2023, 05:58:59 PM »
Yashica Mimy S half frame.

I've been thinking of getting a half frame ever since the Travelling Olympus shenanigans. This one appeared recently. Apparently this version is quite rare. It came with a number of other items including an unused roll of FP3 dated 1968. The camera was introduced in about 1965 I think and it looks like this was used for only a short time then put away and hasn't seen daylight since. There was a card with it with the name of the original owner. I did a bit of research on him, he was in the RAF. The seller got it from a house clearance so probably the owner passed on. I just don't understand why leave a roll of unused film in the bag with the camera.

The shutter was stuck, not surprising after at least 50 years not being used. All working now though.

Nice work, are you going to shoot that film?  I find rolls of film with cameras every now and then.  It's the partially shot rolls left in cameras that are the most confusing. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4486 on: March 31, 2023, 06:06:07 PM »
Nice work, are you going to shoot that film?  I find rolls of film with cameras every now and then.  It's the partially shot rolls left in cameras that are the most confusing.
Probably not. It must be one of the last rolls of FP3 as FP4 was introduced in 1968 so I thought I'd put it on ebay with an extortionately high price, call it a collectors item and mention Lomo. I'm sure it will sell.

Or I might just put in my camera cupboard as a decorative item. I quite like the box.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4487 on: March 31, 2023, 06:28:09 PM »
Probably not. It must be one of the last rolls of FP3 as FP4 was introduced in 1968 so I thought I'd put it on ebay with an extortionately high price, call it a collectors item and mention Lomo. I'm sure it will sell.

Or I might just put in my camera cupboard as a decorative item. I quite like the box.
The film may be in one of those metal tins, so it should be worth a fortune on eBay.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4488 on: April 01, 2023, 10:23:21 AM »
The film may be in one of those metal tins, so it should be worth a fortune on eBay.

You tempted me and I opened the box. It's not in a tin.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4489 on: April 01, 2023, 03:25:57 PM »
A roll of paper wrapped 35mm ???
Now I have never seen this before.
I'm used to the Kodak tins (I have quite a few of these) and paper wrapped medium format film, but this is a new one for me.
It even looks like it was hand wrapped!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4490 on: April 01, 2023, 04:02:24 PM »
Both FP3 and FP4 were sold in tins.  I wonder why some came that way and some didn’t?  I still have a roll of Panatomic-X in its original tropical packaging.  The film is in a sealed lead container in the original box from the 1950’s.  I’ll get into that someday and shoot it. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4491 on: April 01, 2023, 08:38:49 PM »
This reminds me of something though.
In the old USSR, I think it was Svema films that were sold with just the central spool and a piece of black paper taped around the film. No film can. No cassette. Just the spindle. People would use reloadable cassettes and just pop the cores in them.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4492 on: April 01, 2023, 09:16:06 PM »
This reminds me of something though.
In the old USSR, I think it was Svema films that were sold with just the central spool and a piece of black paper taped around the film. No film can. No cassette. Just the spindle. People would use reloadable cassettes and just pop the cores in them.
That was the same with Ilford. These cans are supposed to be reloadable and you could buy refills for them.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #4493 on: April 06, 2023, 01:47:05 PM »
A WWII Dallmeyer Air Ministry f2.8 8 inch Pentac 14A/780 aerial lens for a 5x4 camera I'm building. Basically, a UK version of the Aero Ektar, with the advantage that it doesn't glow in the dark. Has some slight rear element haze, but nothing drastic.

Also bought some wood, so I can connect the lens board thingy with the back of the camera glass thingy. I'm making this up as I go along, if that isn't already apparent.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #4494 on: April 06, 2023, 01:48:54 PM »
Oh - and a body cap for the 500 c/m - I want to mount a projector lens on it. I think my (rather late) mid-life crisis may be discovering tinkering and a gentle spot of DIY
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4495 on: April 07, 2023, 03:20:29 PM »
Oh - and a body cap for the 500 c/m - I want to mount a projector lens on it.
Be careful, a body cap with an intention are the gateway drug to lens hacking  ;)

That's pretty much how it all started for me and now I'm collecting oddball lenses and 3D printing the rest.
Francois

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4496 on: April 09, 2023, 03:00:45 PM »
Are you putting a shutter on the projektor lens? I often struggle with projection lenses on cameras without shutter. For smaller ones I got a frontal shutter that works quite well.

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #4497 on: April 10, 2023, 05:32:20 PM »
I got a frontal shutter that works quite well
Ooh interesting, can you tell more about it? Never heard about such thing :)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4498 on: April 10, 2023, 07:26:49 PM »
It is a very simple design. It only has 2 settings, instant and bulb. You can attach it to the front of the lens using 3 screws on the side. Works for lenses up to 8cm diameter or so.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #4499 on: April 13, 2023, 09:21:04 AM »
Are you putting a shutter on the projektor lens? I often struggle with projection lenses on cameras without shutter. For smaller ones I got a frontal shutter that works quite well.

Good point! I'm such a newb at this. Had quite forgotten that the projector lens would need a shutter on a Blad - so used to them being in the camera of most other makes. Thank you - you've saved me a lot of trouble.

The projector lens is too large to fit on the Leica R8 so I suppose I'll have to search for a large-ish donor body to fit my large donor lens.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk