Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842427 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #4300 on: September 20, 2021, 09:30:48 PM »
This is a follow up of an earlier post regarding a Kiev 4 that I acquired at a nice price. As expected the selenium cell was no longer working properly and I accepted that I would have to use an external light meter. By chance I discovered that my favourite repair resource (Oleg Khalyavin in Russia) has got more than a hundred brand new selenium cells for the Kiev 4 in stock. These will also fit the Kiev 3 + the Contax rangefinders. Since the slow speeds on my Kiev were a bit sluggish I decided to send it to Oleg for service and at the same time have the selenium cell replaced. It looks pretty accurate, but I have not finished the first film yet. I thought this might be of interest for people with Kiev and Contax rangefinders.

Brand new, so someone is making them specifically for that camera?  I wonder if they are making them for other cameras as well.  I have Kiev 4 with a working meter that I purchased from the Russian eBay seller fotofilmcam a few years ago.  I think it was serviced before I got it but I don't know if they put a new selenium cell in it.

I don't have any information whether they are still produced, maybe there is a language issue here. Possibly it means that they are new in the sense of being unused, i.e. new old stock (NOS). I assume that if these cells are kept in total darkness they should not deteriorate. Regarding other cameras, I have seen somewhere that there is a shop in Europe that offers new cells for a range of cameras. Sadly I don't know who that is. I have been thinking of investigating that because I have a very nice working Zorkij 10 that needs a new cell, and I seem to remember that this shop could provide that. Now if I could only remember where I read that...........

PS! I was a bit too quick when I stated what cameras can use this cell, it apparently works for Zenits as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:18:26 PM by Kai-san »
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Antonio

• 35mm
« Reply #4301 on: September 21, 2021, 06:03:13 PM »
Hi!

I've just got a Kodak Pony Premo no.4 ... it seems to be in good shape.
It's fitted with a Unicum shutter. I guess that the lens is a Rapid Rectilinear 6" f/8-f/128? (I cannot say because I cannot read the numbers)
Looking for 5x7 sheath for the plate holders.

Cheers!
Antonio

Very nice camera Antonio!  This company sells 13X18cm film sheaths, not sure if they are compatible with 5X7 inch. 

https://alternativephotographicsupplies.com/category/large-format-photography/wkladka-negatywowa-13x18cm

I think I have three metal plate holders with film sheaths at home but I would have to measure them to see if they are 13X18cm or 5X7 inch.  Let me know if you are interested in them.  I won't be able to check the size until I get home in a few weeks.
Hi!
Thank you, Bryan
I've asked to the people of alternativephotographicsupplies. Unfortunately they don't make 5x7 sheaths :-(
And, yes, please, I'm interested ... Thank you again.

Kind regards
Antonio

Antonio

• 35mm
« Reply #4302 on: September 21, 2021, 06:10:16 PM »
That is a pretty camera Antonio!
I ordered an Argentum 5x7 some time ago. They have a 1 year lead time at the moment. Hope I can photograph some 5x7 next year.  :)
Hi!

Thank you :-)
I didn't know these cameras:
http://www.argentumcamera.com/eng/pages/cameras/excursor_eng.htm
One year ... Hope we'll enjoy your 5x7 photos soon!!

Cheers
Antonio

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4303 on: September 21, 2021, 09:15:29 PM »
You can always get in touch with Cameradactyl. He's pretty good at hacking stuff and finding solutions for odd stuff. Maybe he's already got something that would work for you?

There's also 20th century camera https://20thcenturycamera.com that does some pretty neat stuff for large format.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:17:03 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4304 on: September 22, 2021, 01:50:55 PM »
Hi!
Thank you, Bryan
I've asked to the people of alternativephotographicsupplies. Unfortunately they don't make 5x7 sheaths :-(
And, yes, please, I'm interested ... Thank you again.

Kind regards
Antonio

I'll get in touch with you when I get home.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4305 on: October 20, 2021, 10:25:10 PM »
My latest acquisition....
An almost pristine Ricoh KR-10 super.
I mainly bought it for the lens, but the camera works fine after removing the bottom plate and persuading the shutter to advance.
New batteries and it's all goodness gracious great balls of fire...well not quite that good, but pretty close for a kicker than only cost 20 USD.

A Sears KSX was my very very first SLR a long time ago, so I'm partial to a Pentax K mount and Ricoh in particular.
Hope to have some samples for the weekend.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:45:27 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4306 on: October 21, 2021, 03:43:17 PM »
I must admit that it looks pretty darn good.
When you can fix a camera through the bottom plate, it's always a good sign for me.
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4307 on: October 21, 2021, 08:17:48 PM »
So far it works well too....
The inside was showroom,out of the box clean, so I'm not sure if it had ever been used.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4308 on: October 21, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »
Sometimes there are cameras that stay in their box and are never sold.
And then there are some which get bought, used once or twice and left to gather dust on a shelf.
When you get either of these, the worse that can happen is that the grease has had time to thicken.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4309 on: October 22, 2021, 12:12:29 AM »
That looks like a nice one Becky.  You can also easily adapt to your M42 lenses.

I had another GAS attack.  I'm kind of amazed that I can get a really nice Zeiss Ikon Maximar with a Tessar lens for $57.  It did need a little work but it took me less than an hour to replace the felt light seals and the ground glass viewing screen.  The lens is clean and clear, the bellows are light tight and the shutter speeds sound good.  Even though I enjoy using them I need to stop buying 9X12 cameras, I have enough.  I also need to stop buying TLR's, this Rolleicord Va is in really good working condition as well. 

Zeiss Ikon Maximar 207/7 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Rolleicord Va by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4310 on: October 22, 2021, 03:01:37 PM »
These days I try and redirect my GAS urges into building weird gear.
This week I finished building both a panoramic camera and and a monster lens for my Nikon...
I'll post photos of the contraptions.
Francois

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #4311 on: October 27, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »
Man, it's been years since I have been here, but I am back.

I had picked up a Rolleiflex K4A two weeks ago and shot some old film I had in my house.

2021-10-26-0003 by David Aragon, on Flickr

I need to run more rolls to get the hang of this camera.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4312 on: October 27, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »
Welcome back! That's a very nice looking camera you've got yourself there. The Ektar is perfect for clear autumn days. I use it in between, but my default colour film is the Portra 400. Recently I bought a five-pack of Pro Image to see what it's like, but I'm waiting for a sunny day.  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4313 on: October 27, 2021, 03:06:02 PM »
Good to see you again.
And yes, rolleiflexes are definitely a treat to use. Enjoy!
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4314 on: October 28, 2021, 08:45:46 PM »
and...slow death knell...after two rolls it is totally kaput.
Took the bottom plate off again and no go. Batteries are still good.
I have a nice 1.7 lens out of the deal though..
ah well, win some lose some.  :-\

My latest acquisition....
An almost pristine Ricoh KR-10 super.
I mainly bought it for the lens, but the camera works fine after removing the bottom plate and persuading the shutter to advance.
New batteries and it's all goodness gracious great balls of fire...well not quite that good, but pretty close for a kicker than only cost 20 USD.

A Sears KSX was my very very first SLR a long time ago, so I'm partial to a Pentax K mount and Ricoh in particular.
Hope to have some samples for the weekend.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4315 on: October 28, 2021, 10:26:22 PM »
What's it doing exactly?
Is there still some activity in the finder?
Is the film advance stuck?

If it's anything like a Minolta, it could be an easy fix.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 10:31:21 PM by Francois »
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4316 on: October 29, 2021, 09:00:33 AM »
Mirror stuck up and film advance won't advance. Meter still works.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:04:54 AM by astrobeck »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4317 on: October 29, 2021, 09:22:13 AM »
Seems a common problem. This thread might help. It's for an XR but probably similar.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/ricoh-xr-mirror-stuck-i-know-this-is-the-pentax-forum-but-i-need-some-help.340311/
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4318 on: October 29, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »
I hax a similar problem with two Minolta. It turns out that on the bottom, there was on the advance side a little hook that jumped a notch. When I took the bottom plate off and wiggle the winder I could see the problem. I just loosened up a few screws and used a small hook to make the hook go back to normal.

Maybe it's a similar problem with the Ricoh?
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4319 on: October 29, 2021, 09:21:39 PM »
Hey guess what?!?!
I took the bottom plate off again and pushed that little pin as in the photo posted in the link.
At first it just wound and wound and wound some more.
I was kind of thinking this was really a clunker, then the mirror released and it's working again.
Yay!
I used a volt meter to check the batteries and they were still good, but I also took some emery paper and gave each battery a light sand .
I don't know what the specific trick was, but the camera is working again. Brought back from the mostly dead.
Thanks everyone. You guys rock.

Seems a common problem. This thread might help. It's for an XR but probably similar.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/ricoh-xr-mirror-stuck-i-know-this-is-the-pentax-forum-but-i-need-some-help.340311/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:32:06 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4320 on: October 29, 2021, 10:09:22 PM »
Yay!  ;D
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4321 on: November 02, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »
Just received this one in the post, a Kyoei Super-Acall 3.5/105mm in LTM mount. It should fit nicely on my Canon P which has 100mm frame lines in the viewfinder. Spotless clean glass, and it's got 16 aperture blades. That should hopefully give a nice "bokeh".
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4322 on: November 02, 2021, 01:44:48 PM »
Wow, that must have cost you a pretty penny!
Well... Ok, for me these days anything over 20$ is a luxury.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4323 on: November 02, 2021, 02:01:13 PM »
There's one on evilbay now for 600 USD, I got it for less than a third of that price. The reason for the price difference could be that mine has got a quite stiff focus ring, but I hope to fix that. If anybody has experience with this or other Kyoei lenses, I'd appreciate a tip. If only all lenses were so easy to take apart as the Soviet lenses like the Jupiters!
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4324 on: November 02, 2021, 04:51:51 PM »
I have a 35/3.5 W.Acall (well, actually two of them - long story). It's been a long time since I had it apart, but it wasn't complicated. Telephoto rangefinder lenses tend to be pretty simple - I've had Nikkor, Canon, and Leitz stuff apart, and none of it has been as complex as stuff like fast 50s.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4325 on: November 02, 2021, 08:01:59 PM »
Rangefinder lenses are really primitive mechanically. Since they don't need the instant aperture return, there's a lot less to worry about.
As long as you get the helixes properly aligned, you should be OK.
Francois

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #4326 on: November 02, 2021, 08:19:15 PM »
Wanted something quirky to sit on the shelf with a few interesting bits and bobs.
A modern take on the Victorian cabinet of curiosities, if you will...

It's a bit grubby, so could do with a good clean, which I'll get around to some time.
Not pretty, but it's quite cute in a weird, ugly, boxy only-cost-a-fiver kinda way.
Switching the "time/inst" lever makes absolutely no difference to the performance of the shutter, but I didn't buy it as a user...

Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4327 on: November 03, 2021, 12:47:41 PM »
I always loved quirky stuff. And this definitely falls into that category.
I'm also a bit sad when I think that the victorian cabinet de curiosités has evolved to be just a corner hutch where ladies store Royal Doulton figurines... How uninteresting.
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4328 on: November 03, 2021, 02:35:03 PM »
Oh, that's a different model of Ensign Ful-Vue to mine!
Mine has the "I T" shutter selector on the front rather than the side, and the shutter 'button' is the metal part coming down on the left of the image. The hole on the right on the image is apparently some kind of flash socket.

First time i used it the shutter got on to T and I didn't notice until after the penultimate frame!
Second time I remembered to check!

Do not board the Skylark by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4329 on: November 07, 2021, 01:15:56 AM »
I just "barely" upgraded my Epson V500 to a V600. Mostly I just wanted a new scanner with less use than mine (I even bought the 500 used) 😁 For the time being I'll still use the bundled EpsonScan software, but is SilverFast worth the hype? For example, if the dust and scratch removal is as good as I've heard it is, that might be worth it to me.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4330 on: November 07, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
I just "barely" upgraded my Epson V500 to a V600. Mostly I just wanted a new scanner with less use than mine (I even bought the 500 used) 😁 For the time being I'll still use the bundled EpsonScan software, but is SilverFast worth the hype? For example, if the dust and scratch removal is as good as I've heard it is, that might be worth it to me.

I use Silverfast 8 and the dust & scratch removal is very good in my opinion, but I must add that I have not tried any of the competition. I do not know the Epson 600, does it support IR scanning? If not, this function will not work. Silverfast also has a dust & scratch removal tool for B&W, but I have not taken the time to dig into it. In addition there is a Grain and Noise Elimination tool which I do use.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4331 on: November 07, 2021, 02:41:28 PM »
I have a 35/3.5 W.Acall (well, actually two of them - long story). It's been a long time since I had it apart, but it wasn't complicated. Telephoto rangefinder lenses tend to be pretty simple - I've had Nikkor, Canon, and Leitz stuff apart, and none of it has been as complex as stuff like fast 50s.

Today I got down to fixing the stiff focus on the Super-Acall 105mm. It was not complicated, but I ran into an issue straight away with a stuck screw which of course had a worn slot. In the end I just had to drill it out with a 1.6mm drill bit. Not very pretty, but the outer cover hides it. Luckily it was a set screw, not the one that screws into the mount tube. There was a lot of sh** in there and I used quite a lot of lighter fluid to clean it out. But now it's like new.  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4332 on: November 07, 2021, 06:07:23 PM »

I use Silverfast 8 and the dust & scratch removal is very good in my opinion, but I must add that I have not tried any of the competition. I do not know the Epson 600, does it support IR scanning? If not, this function will not work. Silverfast also has a dust & scratch removal tool for B&W, but I have not taken the time to dig into it. In addition there is a Grain and Noise Elimination tool which I do use.

Well, I'll admit that until this very moment I had no idea how dust and scratch removal worked, and that it required infrared 😂 This site/review/whatever it is confirms that Epson's ICE technology also uses IR, and that it can be hacked into SilverFast too.

The scanner has an ICE technology with which dust and scratches are automatically recognized and removed with the help of an infrared technique. Unfortunately, this hardware-based dust and scratch correction only works with the Epson Scan software without detours. Due to legal licensing reasons,this technique is not rightly implemented in the software of SilverFast. But the infrared channel can be also red-out from the SilverFast-software. In order to accomplish here a dust and scratch correction, one has to take the detour over a raw scan that is also containing the data of the infrared channel - in the SilverFast-jargon this is called HDRi-scan. With the SilverFast HDR-software, the raw data can be then processed under the inclusion of the infrared channel, so that the dust and scratch correction takes place afterwards.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4333 on: November 07, 2021, 06:44:58 PM »

Well, I'll admit that until this very moment I had no idea how dust and scratch removal worked, and that it required infrared 😂 This site/review/whatever it is confirms that Epson's ICE technology also uses IR, and that it can be hacked into SilverFast too.

The scanner has an ICE technology with which dust and scratches are automatically recognized and removed with the help of an infrared technique. Unfortunately, this hardware-based dust and scratch correction only works with the Epson Scan software without detours. Due to legal licensing reasons,this technique is not rightly implemented in the software of SilverFast. But the infrared channel can be also red-out from the SilverFast-software. In order to accomplish here a dust and scratch correction, one has to take the detour over a raw scan that is also containing the data of the infrared channel - in the SilverFast-jargon this is called HDRi-scan. With the SilverFast HDR-software, the raw data can be then processed under the inclusion of the infrared channel, so that the dust and scratch correction takes place afterwards.

Just checked my Silverfast SW and the version 8 supports 32 and 64 bit HDRi. So it seems like it can be done, but if it scans in RAW format I would think it is time consuming. I have never tried the HDR format, I scan everything in TIFF and import it to Lightroom.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4334 on: November 07, 2021, 08:54:29 PM »
There was a lot of sh** in there and I used quite a lot of lighter fluid to clean it out. But now it's like new.  :)
These places can be surprisingly filthy. The grease captures the grits and then dries out leaving just the stuff.
I had to clean my Nikkor 50 f/1.8 because of that. While it would turn, you could feel and hear the crunching noise in the helicoid... not the most reassuring sound there is.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4335 on: November 11, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »
I just fell for this one, a really nice Leidolf Wetzlar Lordox Junior. It has recently been serviced as well, so looking very good. I believe it's a 1957 model, it's got a Pronto shutter. I've seen others with a Prontor SVS which I assume is made later. I've loaded it with T-max 400, hope to get out on Sunday if the weather holds.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4336 on: November 11, 2021, 07:50:28 PM »
I just fell for this one, a really nice Leidolf Wetzlar Lordox Junior. It has recently been serviced as well, so looking very good. I believe it's a 1957 model, it's got a Pronto shutter. I've seen others with a Prontor SVS which I assume is made later. I've loaded it with T-max 400, hope to get out on Sunday if the weather holds.

I have the Lordomat which looks almost identical except it has a rangfinder and interchangeable lenses.  Is the Lordox a fixed lens?  They are well built cameras and my lenses are nice and sharp.   

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4337 on: November 11, 2021, 09:57:46 PM »
This one has a fixed lens and it's not a rangefinder. Like you say it's very well built, and it's just a very nice camera to handle.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4338 on: November 21, 2021, 04:20:39 AM »
Some expired Kodak Super-XX Nitrate film from France.  This should be interesting, hopefully it's still good.  As far as I know they stopped making Nitrate film in the early 1950's but I think that's the U.S.  The film says it was made in France so maybe they made it later there.  There is no expiration date on the box but then I can't read French.  Did they make Kodak film in France?  I'll do a bracket test on a sheet and see how good it is.  I have some Nitrate negatives that were shot by someone else but I've never shot it myself. 

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4339 on: November 21, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »
Some expired Kodak Super-XX Nitrate film from France.  This should be interesting, hopefully it's still good.  As far as I know they stopped making Nitrate film in the early 1950's but I think that's the U.S.  The film says it was made in France so maybe they made it later there.  There is no expiration date on the box but then I can't read French.  Did they make Kodak film in France?  I'll do a bracket test on a sheet and see how good it is.  I have some Nitrate negatives that were shot by someone else but I've never shot it myself.

Dusting off my high school French: those appear to be plates for tri-color photography, manufactured in France. The note indicates that a green safelight with a 15 watt lamp can be used to view development for a few seconds only.

At least in the US, nitrate sheet film went out of manufacture in 1939, pack film a decade or so later, perhaps due to the thin base required. Tri-color "one shot" cameras like the Curtis here, as well as Devin and National Colorgraph, had a moment in time in the 30s and 40s before they were overtaken by Kodachrome sheet film initially and Ektachrome sheet later.

My best guess is that your film is pre-WW2 vintage, maybe 1939 or 1940. The expiry date may be stamped on the black wrapper within the box. If it's been kept relatively cool and dry over the years, it may still be in reasonably decent condition. Nitrate film does shrink over time, so don't be surprised if it doesn't quite fit the holders. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:27:39 PM by EarlJam »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4340 on: November 21, 2021, 07:47:51 PM »
No need to dust off my French...
Here's the full translation
On the cover:
The film in this box were made with the upmost care and, while they will be replaced if they should show any manufacturing defect, they are sold without any engagement or warranty whatsoever.
The films contained in this box are dangerous if exposed to high temperatures or an open flame.

On the side:
Kodak Super-XX
For tricolor separations.
Special panchromatic film, very high speed, low shrinkage. For the creation of trichrome color separation negatives for use in photomechanical reproduction or dye transfer.
Note: during development a Kodak Wratten series 3 (green) filter can be used in a lantern equipped with a 15 watt bulb. Examine the film only at the end of the development for a few seconds only. Do not bring the film at less than 1 meter from the safelight.

On the other side:
Nitrate film for trichrome selections.

All in all, there's nothing really exciting written on there.
I'll check to see if I have more info in some old literature.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4341 on: November 21, 2021, 07:56:38 PM »
I don't know if it's the same but in the Photographic Lab Handbook (1977), they have this data sheet.
I'll check another very old Kodak book I have.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 08:09:18 PM by Francois »
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4342 on: November 21, 2021, 08:26:30 PM »
OK, nothing in other books, but I checked the Internet archive and there are a lot of references to the film.
Like this 1942 Popular mechanics that suggests some exposure times
(https://archive.org/embed/PopularMechanics1942/Popular_Mechanics_07_1942) on page 198

I just checked and that box sold for 2.25$ in I don't know what year
(https://archive.org/embed/CatalogueOfPhotographicMaterials/Geo.MurphyInc.Cca71770) page 96

And check page 113 of this for some very helpful information
(https://archive.org/details/TheManualOfModernPhotographyTheTechnique/page/n113/mode/2up?q=kodak+%22super-xx%22)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 08:29:41 PM by Francois »
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4343 on: November 21, 2021, 11:45:45 PM »
Thanks for the translation and information Earl and Francois.  I won’t be using them for tri-color photography but I may be tempted to light one up. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4344 on: November 22, 2021, 03:02:47 PM »
I too would be tempted to do that too.
Maybe just half a sheet and use the other half to test exposure.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4345 on: November 22, 2021, 11:28:05 PM »
Thanks for the translation and information Earl and Francois.  I won’t be using them for tri-color photography but I may be tempted to light one up.

The pyromaniac in me says YES 😂

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4346 on: November 23, 2021, 02:32:59 PM »
I don't know if it's true but I once heard that the only place where nitrocellulose is still used today is in the manufacturing of professional quality ping pong balls.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4347 on: November 23, 2021, 05:27:44 PM »
I don't know if it's true but I once heard that the only place where nitrocellulose is still used today is in the manufacturing of professional quality ping pong balls.

It’s still used in other applications.  Nitrocellulose lacquer is still used in things like nail polish.  There are other uses for the lacquer.  There are scientific uses for it as well.  Gun cotton is what magicians use to make smoke free flashes.  I cleaned up a site about 10 years ago where a guy was selling supplies on eBay to make fireworks, we found a lot of gun cotton.  He set his business on fire when he spilled a strong oxidizer on some paper.  That sent him back to prison for violating his parol, I guess he wasn’t allowed to poses firearms and munitions. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4348 on: November 23, 2021, 09:16:53 PM »
That must have been a pretty spectacular moment... though I can't tell if I'm thinking about the burning papers, the fireworks or the arrest  ;D
Isn't it funny how people who improvise themselves as specialists in that field always have the worst safety procedures?

And somehow, I have a few redneck jokes that come to mind...
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
Re: I just picked up...A telescope
« Reply #4349 on: November 30, 2021, 03:04:16 AM »
A Celestron 102mm f6.5 refractor on a alt/az mount, Filmwasters angle? The 11/4” draw tube is threaded for T mount. Unfortunately after trying it out it will need a T mount extension tube to reach infinity, a couple of inch’s will do fine.
This beast was at Costco for $199, at least $100 cheaper than anywhere else I looked.
Living in Lacey, western Washington, it might be JUNE! before I get a cloudless sky. (Bryan knows what I mean.)
Yes, the mount and tripod is just acceptable, especially for the price. And the eyepieces are probably 2 element Ramsden’s, they don’t say and not going to take them apart to find out. The terrestrial view is correct and at 33x there doesn’t seem to be too much false color. So….not bad for a 4 inch air spaced achromat.