Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842432 times)

cs1

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3700 on: February 22, 2019, 06:55:27 AM »
Looking at the period when it was made, there are good chances that it uses a simple neon indicator.
Do you think I could replace it with an LED and a resistor if it indeed was a neon indicator?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3701 on: February 22, 2019, 01:33:33 PM »
Not really since the neon indicator works on high voltage. But they are still widely available so it's not a problem.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3702 on: February 23, 2019, 12:00:54 AM »
I actually got this years ago but never shot it and just stumbled upon it cleaning my apartment. The light meter still work fine -- what a cool mechanism! -- but the light seals look like they need replacement. Shooting a test roll. We shall see. 40mm rules!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3703 on: February 23, 2019, 01:48:21 PM »
You're lucky that the meter still works.
Mine never worked and I couldn't find a way to get access to the cell.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3704 on: February 23, 2019, 06:25:52 PM »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3705 on: February 23, 2019, 09:08:27 PM »
I wasn't expecting a crescent shaped cell... these must be pretty hard to find new these days.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3706 on: February 24, 2019, 12:22:45 AM »
My old Sekonic died. Time for a new-ish one.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3707 on: March 10, 2019, 06:58:29 PM »
Pentax SV and Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2

* with working rewind lever, though that took a minute to fix

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3708 on: March 10, 2019, 09:22:06 PM »
What was so special about the rewind crank?
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3709 on: March 10, 2019, 09:57:29 PM »

As I was about to load my first roll of film, I noticed that the crank assembly had fallen off. Then, after screwing it back onto the shaft, I found that I couldn't pull the shaft up out of the body. After consulting a repair video, I learned the problem was a detent spring that prevented the shaft to slide up, and it wouldn't budge when I tried to push it out of the way so I loosened the flat nut over it and the spring moved and I got the shaft through.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3710 on: March 10, 2019, 11:41:42 PM »

As I was about to load my first roll of film, I noticed that the crank assembly had fallen off. Then, after screwing it back onto the shaft, I found that I couldn't pull the shaft up out of the body. After consulting a repair video, I learned the problem was a detent spring that prevented the shaft to slide up, and it wouldn't budge when I tried to push it out of the way so I loosened the flat nut over it and the spring moved and I got the shaft through.

That post would send Steve Carell into hysterics with all the "that's what she said"-s  ;D

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3711 on: March 11, 2019, 12:30:25 AM »
I really felt like smoking a cigarette afterward, and I don't smoke.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3712 on: March 14, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
a camera bag. Yet another one. I already have a shoulder-breaking shoulder bag, a more skeletal friendly back-pack, numerous smaller bags. But I need a really small bag - just large enough for a compact P&S (or my Mamiya 6 folder), sunnies and passport, for use in countries where it's best not to leave a passport in the hotel, and room safes have yet to be installed. Take it anywhere and it need never leave my side in 'hostile' environments. I'm sure there is a more pc word than hostile, but it escapes me at present.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3713 on: March 14, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »
When I used to travel I had a passport pouch I wore under my clothes. That way if anything I'm carrying gets stolen I'm ok.
I also know a guy who did field support who always carried a photocopy of his passport and left the real thing in the hotel safe. I'm sure there exists small secure lock boxes that could be attached to the plumbing pipes in the bathroom to keep valuables secure. Just make sure it's not something with a cable whick is easy to cut and a wafer lock which is easy to pick.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3714 on: March 15, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
a camera bag. Yet another one. I already have a shoulder-breaking shoulder bag, a more skeletal friendly back-pack, numerous smaller bags. But I need a really small bag - just large enough for a compact P&S (or my Mamiya 6 folder), sunnies and passport, for use in countries where it's best not to leave a passport in the hotel, and room safes have yet to be installed. Take it anywhere and it need never leave my side in 'hostile' environments. I'm sure there is a more pc word than hostile, but it escapes me at present.

People leave passports in their hotel rooms? :o Mine is always in my front jeans pocket, pretty difficult to pick. Last time I was in Athens (a "hostile" environment on a good day, and this happened to be during the Syntagma Sq riots), a few amateurs tried to set up a pick and ended up very sloppily fishing around in my back pocket. Since I only keep receipts and other sundry paper in my back pocket, all they got away with was a hand drawn hotel map of Delphi. My subsequent confrontation with them and demand that they return my map was pretty hilarious, but I'll leave that to your collective imagination ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3715 on: March 15, 2019, 02:18:14 PM »
Probably not if you're as talented as Apollo Robbins, but pretty hard for all others.
Have you seen this guy on YouTube?
He's really good. Some say he's the best pickpocket in the world. He even managed during a show to steal everything that was in the pockets of Jimmy Carter's security team! He laughingly says that the only thing he didn't take was their guns :)
He also stole the ink refill from Penn Gillette's pen and managed to put it back in his pocket without him noticing. Did the same with Neil Degrasse-Tyson.

He filmed this short but funny video in Montreal a few years ago. He said that it was all real pickpocketing tricks that he and his team used.
https://vimeo.com/70958565
Francois

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3716 on: March 18, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
I picked up this Bronica SQ-AI with everything from KEH's "Ugly" condition cameras/parts. It works flawlessly. Ran three rolls of it this past weekend and developed one this morning, which came out just fine. Going to scan later today.

Untitled
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

Untitled

Untitled

Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3717 on: March 18, 2019, 07:25:23 PM »
They were right, it definitely is UGLY  :P  ;D
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3718 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:33 AM »
It's a fantastic piece of kit. Great buy, you won't regret it. :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3719 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38:39 AM »
There's a load to choose from. I like ones with a Velcro fastening as they are very difficult to open without making a noise - so I suspect they are harder to "pick". Ones which have pockets within internal pockets are useful.  I also saw one which had steel wire in the strap to prevent it being cut. I can't remember the brand, though.

I've been on two holidays where fellow guests at the hotel have had their rooms broken into and passports, money and other valuables stolen. Room safes are virtually useless and can be opened very easily.  One hotel we were in had regular power failures and every time the power went off, the safe disarmed itself, unlocked and asked to be re-set with a new combination, so we never leave anything in them. 

As a back-up, we scan our passports and send the key pages to ourselves as an attachment in an email.  Passport control won't accept them, of course, but at least we have all the right details at all times if we ever need to go to a consulate to get a temporary replacement.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3720 on: March 19, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »
I remember Lowepro has a series of backpacks with the access panels next to your back. I have one and while it isn't as convenient as other bags, it is quite secure and seriously comfortable. If you want the name of the series I can try and find mine.... I know that it's somewhere in the house.....
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3721 on: March 20, 2019, 12:20:05 AM »
I know that it's somewhere in the house.....

These are famous last words before I launch into a seemingly endless cycle of searching for that thing, uncovering another thing that I had forgotten about for years, using that thing for a while, putting it away in another spot that I will never find until the next time I launch into this cycle, then searching for the original thing again, finding yet another thing that I had forgotten about, etc etc etc. And of course, I never do end up finding that original thing ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3722 on: March 20, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
And then you really need that original thing you can't find so you go to the store and get a new one to replace the old one, you go to put it away only to find that you put it right next to the original thing you were looking for and you realize that you now have two original things but can only use one at a time.....
Happened to me countless times. ::)

But on the good side you discover those close-up lenses you thought you had lost in a park three years ago....
Happened to me just last week....
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3723 on: March 20, 2019, 03:16:00 PM »
And then you really need that original thing you can't find so you go to the store and get a new one to replace the old one, you go to put it away only to find that you put it right next to the original thing you were looking for and you realize that you now have two original things but can only use one at a time.....
Happened to me countless times. ::)

But on the good side you discover those close-up lenses you thought you had lost in a park three years ago....
Happened to me just last week....

All of this is 100% true ;D

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #3724 on: March 23, 2019, 10:47:52 AM »
A TLR. Been after one for ages. I used to have a Rollei, but I moved it on as it was under-used (which now, arguably, could be used to describe most of my kit). I've always liked to look of the grey Meopta Flexaret, so I went for the last model made, the VII. I've been thinking about street photography for a while, but am uncomfortable with the idea of 'secretly' photographing others - and have written about this on here previously. So the idea is simple; I stand in plain sight and wait for a passer-by to stare at this old man looking down through the ground glass holding an old TLR and simply press the button. Easy! I have people all looking at the camera, all engaged with the viewer and in a square format. What's not to like?
"Film, please!"
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #3725 on: March 27, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
The Flexaret VII has just arrived. It's as heavy & as well built as internet 'experts' say. And with the grey covering, it is quite a looker, to my eyes. Weather (in the UK) looks OK for Sunday so I'm going bang a roll through it and see how it performs. Already loaded it with Rollei 400, as I didn't fancy loading it for the first time in the street.
The camera itself is mint, apart from a little hot shoe (cold shoe?) scratching where an accessory has been driven home, presumably by a Czech tractor builder using a Czechoslovakian hammer. I've been told to expect pin-sharp images, so I have high hopes for this beauty. And at £128, I paid considerably less than second hand prices on the Bay.

If all goes well on Sunday, I hope to take it back to Prague on Thursday for a few days.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:46:12 PM by zapsnaps »
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3726 on: March 27, 2019, 07:58:26 PM »
I have an older Flexaret and must say they are nice. But the focusing lever takes some getting used to, especially on mine where the mirror has lost a lot of its reflectiveness.
Also, the lines on the focus screen are drawn using red ink. If you try and wipe it using alcohol, the ink just goes away.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3727 on: March 27, 2019, 11:44:00 PM »
One of the downsides of having a local camera shop within walking distance, is that there's almost always something interesting in the used lens display case. The Pentax MX just came back from its once-every-40-years service, and I haven't bought anything new for it since the mid-80s, and thus I found myself coming home with two unexpected additions to the arsenal: 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f2. These lenses join the 28/2.8, 50/1.7, and 100/2.8 that comprised my kit for the bulk of the time that I used the camera regularly. There's a roll of HP5 in the camera now, and decent weather ahead . . .

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3728 on: March 28, 2019, 01:52:57 AM »
Oh damn, if you ever decide that you don't want that 85, let me know!!  ;D

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3729 on: March 28, 2019, 02:27:02 AM »
Oh damn, if you ever decide that you don't want that 85, let me know!!  ;D

Will do, although my plan is to use the 85 with 35/2.0, if I can find one, as part of a two-lens compact system. In the mean time, I'll keep my eyes open and see if another 85 shows up at the shop.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3730 on: March 28, 2019, 04:22:57 AM »
One of the downsides of having a local camera shop within walking distance, is that there's almost always something interesting in the used lens display case. The Pentax MX just came back from its once-every-40-years service, and I haven't bought anything new for it since the mid-80s, and thus I found myself coming home with two unexpected additions to the arsenal: 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f2. These lenses join the 28/2.8, 50/1.7, and 100/2.8 that comprised my kit for the bulk of the time that I used the camera regularly. There's a roll of HP5 in the camera now, and decent weather ahead . . .

Who does the service for your Pentax?

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #3731 on: March 28, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »
Hi  Francois
Is your Felxaret a VII? The framing lines on my focussing screen appear to be either engraved or at least properly printed. I've only played with the focussing lever in my study, rather than outside, but the action seems smooth and progressive. 

As I mentioned, I have high expectations of what this machine will deliver. Providing I can hold the weight, not shake, work out the reversed image, get horizons & verticals reasonably straight etc.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3732 on: March 28, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »
From memory it's a III. It's the one with the strange film advance crank on the right side. It's said to be very fragile and uses a series of gears and a ratchet that are located in an unaccessible place. Strange thing is that the winding mechanism doesn't take into account the length of film that you advance. There is still a red window at the back.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3733 on: March 28, 2019, 01:48:15 PM »

Who does the service for your Pentax?

I used Eric Hendrickson, https://www.pentaxs.com/. He has a general service routine: CLA, replace light seals and mirror bumper, clean finder, calibrate meter and shutter speeds. Cost was $88 plus $14 for USPS Priority Mail return shipping. Eric quotes 3 - 4 weeks turnaround, but the camera was back in less than 2 weeks. I found communication with Eric to be very good as well.

--One thing I'll note: the finder cleaning alone was worth the cost of the service, adding at least a stop of brightness. I had chalked up the finder dimming to aging eyes, so was surprised to see the difference after servicing.

More info here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/columns/twenty-questions-eric-hendrickson-interview.html?src=hs
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:46:45 PM by EarlJam »

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3734 on: March 28, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »
Good to know he's still in the repair business.
 I used him several years ago for my Spotti, and he forgot to do the mirror bumper so I had to send it back...was a bit of a pain, but the camera works and looks great now.
Thanks!
 8)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3735 on: April 13, 2019, 05:56:54 PM »
A couple of thrift store finds.  The first one is a bulk loader that I have never seen before.  It's a 15-C De Luxe Model -A- made by W. W. Bose Co., Dayton Ohio.  It looks similar in design to a Watson.  It's in great condition but it is missing the crank.  I have a crank that may work with it.  Unfortunately it didn't have any mystery film in it.  The second item is an Ambico Hemispheric lens attachment V-0341 that I got for $3.  I have no idea what this went to but I just tried it with a Minolta SLR and it is no where near in focus.  If anyone knows how I may get this thing to work let me know.  I can get it very close to being in focus at infinity on a M4/3 digital camera but only at the widest angle setting on the lens.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3736 on: April 13, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »
Isn't it a fisheye adapter that screws in front of an existing lens?
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3737 on: April 13, 2019, 09:25:45 PM »
Isn't it a fisheye adapter that screws in front of an existing lens?
. That’s what I thought but focusing would be nice.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3738 on: April 13, 2019, 09:30:22 PM »
Maybe it's missing something?
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3739 on: April 13, 2019, 10:42:47 PM »
Some of the front-of-lens adapters need a spacer. If you have one handy, try adding a UV or Skylight filter between the lens and adapter.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3740 on: April 14, 2019, 12:51:46 AM »
I tried moving it forward and back by hand in front of the lens, no change.  I also took the lens off and tried it that way, moving it forward and back.  Since it was close to working with my M4/3 digital camera I’m thinking it went to a camcorder.  Smaller format has a much shorter focal length, that may be what it’s designed for.  I’ll try some more stuff with it later, maybe try it with an 8mm movie camera. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3741 on: April 14, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »
In a pinch, you could always attach it to a bayonet and make a small aperture out of black cardboard. That should allow you to just DOF the heck out of the thing and bring everything into focus.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3742 on: April 28, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
.....from the UK, a lovely Yashica ML Macro 55mm f2.8. I like using macro lenses in stead of standard "normal" lenses, the macros are usually sharper and then you have the opportunity to get real close to your subject. And these were made when Kyocera owned Yashica and in cooperation with Zeiss.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3743 on: April 28, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
Yashica always made some food lenses.
I still have my first 50 f/1.7 and when I look at the old pictures I find it still shines when compared to other 50's I've got.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3744 on: April 30, 2019, 02:21:59 AM »

Schacht macro lens and Spiratone bellows for the Exa. It came with an Exa to Konica adapter too!

I've actually been wanting something like this for a while now so I could do a project to create a slideshow of the internet. I know the "I took a photo of somebody else's thing and put in a gallery so now it's art" ploy is hackneyed (it's not gotten old, it's just been trite from the beginning) I more just feel like the absurdity of using an old fashioned way of showing where you've been - to show where you've been online is not only a good easy laugh, but an amusing commentary on how we share "content" now vs. how our families did half a century ago.

To be completely honest, I got the idea when I attended a gathering of the local Model T club (I was the youngest in the room by a decade) and the meeting was ended with a power point presentation of "funny" car photos one of the members had seen online and saved. Something about seeing an 80 year old guy projecting images he found online for his friends just seemed really goofy but strangely, almost captivatingly innocent.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3745 on: May 07, 2019, 06:25:08 PM »
Last Friday night, I went to a church rummage sale and picked up a few things and knickknacks. But the thing I'm most happy with is this almost mint Polaroid Radio!
And it can also be used as a picture frame :)
Best thing of all, it's got the original battery caddy inside so it can be used either with a used pack of film or AA batteries.

Why can't they make stuff that fun anymore?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:34:17 PM by Francois »
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3746 on: May 07, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
That's pretty cool Francois! 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:49:56 PM by Bryan »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3747 on: May 07, 2019, 07:09:47 PM »
Very nice find Francois, I've got one of those myself. But in this country they've killed off the FM net to make room for DAB! The result is that radio listening has plummeted like a stone, and millions of radios are now junk and will probably end up in a landfill. All in the name of so-called progress!
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3748 on: May 07, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
That is one cool radio, François. Great find! :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3749 on: May 07, 2019, 09:04:59 PM »
And best of all, the volume knob doesn't even scratch!
Francois