Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842477 times)

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #3400 on: April 08, 2018, 11:33:35 PM »
This photo from the Wikipedia entry on rotary shutters shows the design of a simple shutter. I've forgotten much of what I learned and/or knew about motion cameras, but if memory serves, over-exposed frames at the end of a shot did occur on occasion, albeit infrequently.

(Photo by Ralf Hüls - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15997419)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3401 on: April 09, 2018, 01:56:09 AM »
I have always wanted a Mercury II, now O2Pilot has me thinking about it again.  I just sold a bunch of stuff so there’s plenty of cash burning a hole in my PayPal account.

Trade ya even for your Contax T...  ;)
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3402 on: April 09, 2018, 02:07:10 AM »
I have always wanted a Mercury II, now O2Pilot has me thinking about it again.  I just sold a bunch of stuff so there’s plenty of cash burning a hole in my PayPal account.

Sorry, I’ve grow to like that camera, that little lens is pretty amazing. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3403 on: April 09, 2018, 02:45:59 AM »

Sorry, I’ve grow to like that camera, that little lens is pretty amazing.

Can't blame a guy for trying, hopelessly unrealistic as my proposal may have been....  ;)
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3404 on: April 12, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
Well this just arrived, so now I've got to decide where i'm going to try it.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3405 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »
A Fujica Mini, black paint with black covering dating it to 1965 or later. The camera was introduced in 1964 with a very bright silver wrap, only. I've wanted a half frame for a while and it arrived today. It's a gem, but heavy - had very little use and no wear to the paint. 25mm f2.8. All I need now is some good UK weather over the weekend so I can bang a roll through it and see what it can do. I want to experiment with 2 photos per print, hence the half frame attraction.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3406 on: April 13, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
I think third time lucky is the correct description of my efforts to buy this camera model. The two first ones I purchased were faulty on arrival and had to be returned. This is the "fat boy" of the Contax family, the AX. It's an autofocus camera that works with manual lenses, and it does so by moving the film plane inside the camera. But perhaps the nicest feature is that you can turn any lens into a macro lens by the flick of a switch. It moves the film carriage to the back of the camera, giving the same effect as putting an extension ring on the lens. In this mode you get manual focus, but that is often an advantage in macro work.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3407 on: April 14, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »
The AX is a brilliant camera and a highlight in terms of camera engineering. I'm really looking forward to reading about your experiences with it.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3408 on: April 15, 2018, 05:54:53 AM »
Amazing! I've been watching this video on repeat for hours ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjgV34PzKTA

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3409 on: April 15, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »
Come on Satish, get a life! Go out and shoot some film.  ;D
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3410 on: April 15, 2018, 02:35:17 PM »
Amazing! I've been watching this video on repeat for hours ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjgV34PzKTA
This is so smooth and quiet....
Sad they stopped producing them.

BTW I too find it sort of hypnotizing.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3411 on: April 15, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »
If you want a AX brochure (or, at least, a scan of one) you can get it off my Google drive at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yHeg205UaO05hbELzLXz0QXFv6UzHp2i
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3412 on: April 16, 2018, 07:33:19 PM »
I picked up an Altissa Periskop 1:8 and a Konica C35 AF2 at a garage sale for 15 € total. The Konica seems to work and it's in a really good shape (I replaced the light seals) and I also cleaned up the Altissa (the photos were taken before the cleaning). I'm currently shooting a Fomapan 100 in the Konica to see if everything's alright. I've had my eye on the Altissa for a while because it's a 6x6 box and because it has this cool looking viewfinder and it's also otherwise an absolutely stunning looking box. I'm pretty thankful that I found my copy on the garage sale. The Konica is the second version of the C35 AF which is the first mass produced autofocus camera with a Honeywell contrast autofocus system.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3413 on: April 17, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of an old Leica for some time, but when I saw this iiif and 5cm f2.8 Elmar on the Red Dot Cameras website I just had to make busy with the clicky.

Now I've got a few days to practice loading it before I take it out at the weekend.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3414 on: April 17, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »
make sure to cut the leader. Makes loading these things way easier.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3415 on: April 17, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
Yep, cut the leader to 20 sprocket holes and make sure there are no sharp edges. Small curved scissors help for the curved sections. Once you get the film in place, tension the spool with the rewind knob before advancing it; that way you can confirm it is correctly installed by watching the rewind knob turn as you advance.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3416 on: April 17, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
Been practising with an old roll, and it seems a lot easier than I'd expected. Once I'd figured how to connect the film to the take-up spool I managed to load the film a few times and could see the rewind knob rotating as I wound on, and taking the lens off and using a slow shutter speed I could see the film was in place too.
Might pre-trim a few rolls for the weekend.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3417 on: April 17, 2018, 10:08:29 PM »
Welcome to the cult.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3418 on: April 18, 2018, 01:33:38 AM »
Once you get the film in place, tension the spool with the rewind knob before advancing it; that way you can confirm it is correctly installed by watching the rewind knob turn as you advance.

I've started doing this as a matter of course with all my cameras because I've screwed this up one too many times  ;D

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3419 on: April 18, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
Might pre-trim a few rolls for the weekend.

I usually keep a small swiss army classic in my bag. Works well for trimming leaders on the go. That way you can trim just before you load rather than pre trimming and having to load it in another camera. I don't think it would really make a difference but I'd rather have something unmodified if I don't have to.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #3420 on: April 19, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »
I think third time lucky is the correct description of my efforts to buy this camera model. The two first ones I purchased were faulty on arrival and had to be returned. This is the "fat boy" of the Contax family, the AX. It's an autofocus camera that works with manual lenses, and it does so by moving the film plane inside the camera. But perhaps the nicest feature is that you can turn any lens into a macro lens by the flick of a switch. It moves the film carriage to the back of the camera, giving the same effect as putting an extension ring on the lens. In this mode you get manual focus, but that is often an advantage in macro work.

Auto focus with manual focus lenses. AMAZING. Thanks for sharing!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3421 on: April 23, 2018, 02:42:35 AM »
I blame O2Pilot for this.

Mercury II by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3422 on: April 23, 2018, 03:27:34 AM »

You're welcome.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3423 on: April 23, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
ROBOT CAMERA!!!  ;D ;D ;D

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3424 on: April 23, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
It's a Mercury II Invasion!
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3425 on: April 24, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »
I was just gifted a Yashica Mat 124G. The meter wasn't working, so I popped open the battery compartment and although there was a fair bit of corrosion, it's not the worst I've seen, but the battery contact was just rattling around in there. I assume the lead is corroded somewhere in there. It would be very nice to have a working meter on this, but it's probably not worth the expense, is it? Plus, I'm used to my Ciroflex which doesn't have a meter.

Just put a roll of Tri-X through it which is drying now, and the exposure looks pretty far off, but I'm going to blame that on myself ;D I like the shutter and aperture dials, as well as the fact that the shutter button is a *button* not a lever like on the Ciroflex. I can't get used to the focus knob being on the left side though, that's actually quite annoying  :P The film advance is really fun though, makes me feel like I'm shooting a Mamiya (I wasn't sure where to start the film, so I wasted a good 3 exposures on that).

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3426 on: April 24, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "rattling around in there" - could be it's just the wrong battery (looks like it needs a PX625, which is discontinued, but the 675 hearing aid battery will work). Without cracking it open there's no way to tell where the break in the circuit is.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3427 on: April 24, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
I can recommend using 675 hearing aid batteries. They work really well with my cameras that normally take PX625 batteries. If the battery doesn't fit properly you can use some tin foil around the + part (the original PX625 had a "saturn ring" around its rim). Make sure not to shorten + and -.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3428 on: April 24, 2018, 03:45:23 PM »
The Mat has for a long time been one of my all-time favorites.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3429 on: April 24, 2018, 07:22:13 PM »
I'm not quite ready to feed the Polaroid/Instax beast for my grandson, which I fear would be much like watching a taxi meter run. My local shop had a used but cared for Fuji X100 on the shelf at a price consistent with a year's worth of film and processing, at a couple of rolls a month. If nothing else, a stepping stone to get him ready for one of the Leicas when he's a bit older; at least, that's the plan.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:48:46 PM by EarlJam »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3430 on: April 24, 2018, 09:41:20 PM »
I've got something even better in the mail today!
Well... OK, I'm probably the only one here who gets excited by electronic components but here I go anyway.
It's a 3 watt LED with a spectral frequency of 660nm.
And what does this have to do with photography you might ask? Well it falls outside the visible color range for photo paper, lith film and Direct Positive paper.
All I need is a 1.2Ω resistor, a switch and a two battery holder to turn it into the world's best portable safelight.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3431 on: April 25, 2018, 03:18:44 AM »
Not sure what you mean by "rattling around in there" - could be it's just the wrong battery (looks like it needs a PX625, which is discontinued, but the 675 hearing aid battery will work). Without cracking it open there's no way to tell where the break in the circuit is.

There is no battery in there. The lead ... maybe that's not the right word ... the metal part that contacts the battery and brings either the positive or negative pole in contact with whatever wire will bring that charge where it needs to go ... that part is apparently not connected to said wire anymore. Therefore will have a very poor chance of bringing the charge from even a correctly-sized battery to where it needs to go. Could just be a matter of soldering it back onto the wire, or if the wire is as corroded as the battery compartment is, maybe it's a lost cause.

But I know nothing about electronics ;D

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3432 on: April 25, 2018, 12:30:34 PM »

There is no battery in there. The lead ... maybe that's not the right word ... the metal part that contacts the battery and brings either the positive or negative pole in contact with whatever wire will bring that charge where it needs to go ... that part is apparently not connected to said wire anymore. Therefore will have a very poor chance of bringing the charge from even a correctly-sized battery to where it needs to go. Could just be a matter of soldering it back onto the wire, or if the wire is as corroded as the battery compartment is, maybe it's a lost cause.

Sounds like exactly the problem I found with the Petri we were discussing. The battery acids work their way up the (usually very small gauge) wire and just eat it from the inside. Eventually it falls off. On some cameras it might not be too bad to run a new wire, on others...bad. Where is the battery compartment on the 124G? Is the meter coupled or uncoupled? If everything is up top it might just be that you only need to pull a few bits off.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3433 on: April 29, 2018, 10:28:17 PM »

Sounds like exactly the problem I found with the Petri we were discussing. The battery acids work their way up the (usually very small gauge) wire and just eat it from the inside. Eventually it falls off. On some cameras it might not be too bad to run a new wire, on others...bad. Where is the battery compartment on the 124G? Is the meter coupled or uncoupled? If everything is up top it might just be that you only need to pull a few bits off.

So it turns out there's a larger problem with the camera ... there's a ton of fungus inside the lens. Look at this sample photo:

I looked at the lens and it's definitely in the middle of the lens, so .... not really worth fixing, is it? What with the corroded battery compartment and fungus in the lens? :( OR, turn lemons into lemonade ... this could make a great soft-focus portrait camera :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3434 on: April 29, 2018, 11:08:24 PM »
If the fungus is not too etched in, a good clean could improve things...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3435 on: April 29, 2018, 11:53:39 PM »

But wouldn't that involve uncementing the lens elements, cleaning, and recementing them? I know nothing about lenses ;D or cameras, really  ;D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3436 on: April 30, 2018, 12:26:40 AM »

But wouldn't that involve uncementing the lens elements, cleaning, and recementing them? I know nothing about lenses ;D or cameras, really  ;D

Haze usually forms between the elements, mold usually grows on the outer edges of the glass.  You may be able to just unscrew the front lens to get at it.  A 50/50 mix of ammonia and hydrogen peroxibe will get rid of the mold.  Make sure you have good ventilation with that mix. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3437 on: April 30, 2018, 01:42:00 AM »
That lens is a Tessar-type, four elements in three groups: two singles and a cemented pair in the back. Easy to disassemble in most cases. For cleaning fungus, I've found nothing better than moisturizing hand cream. Apply liberally, wait five minutes or so, remove, and clean normally. I am not making this up.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3438 on: April 30, 2018, 01:53:27 AM »
You guys are enablers, is what you are. You really want me to take apart a lens? ;D God only knows what will happen. I'll probably end up with a plastic bag full of screws and springs and rings and various other elements that I'll have no idea how to put back together ;D

So .... here goes?  :o

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3439 on: April 30, 2018, 02:14:45 AM »
It should be as simple as using a lens spanner to unscrew the front and rear blocks. The second element will probably require unscrewing a retaining ring from the back of the front block. Keep the first and second elements oriented properly (convex front). That's probably all there is to it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3440 on: April 30, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
For removing the fungus I've also used some purell. It works fine.
I tend to like it better on some mumbo jumbo science base... I feel the fungi won't like the high alcohol contents...

Usually you also have to keep an eye out for set screws. Most of those don't need excessive force to take them apart. If something won't budge, look for the reason before torquing the heck out of it.
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3441 on: May 01, 2018, 07:17:57 PM »
Happiness comes in all shapes, colours and sizes.
I love the BTZS 4X5 B&W film tube kit, even before I have tested it :)

As for fungus, it's  one of the few ways still left to make a nice deal, given you are willing to take the risk ;)

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3442 on: May 06, 2018, 03:34:22 AM »
A few months ago I bought a 220 back for my Bronica ETRSi intending to shoot 120 film with it, then this deal came along for some Plus-X.  It was cold stored so it should be good. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3443 on: May 06, 2018, 01:24:50 PM »
PX was really nice. Probably better looking than TMX, though less contrasty if I remember correctly.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3444 on: May 06, 2018, 07:02:09 PM »
So I just recently found out that 220 film is just 120 film with double the exposures? So one can shoot 220 film in a 120 camera and vice-versa?

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3445 on: May 06, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
So I just recently found out that 220 film is just 120 film with double the exposures? So one can shoot 220 film in a 120 camera and vice-versa?

Yes and no. Some cameras will take 220, some not. If you have a users guide it should tell you.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3446 on: May 06, 2018, 09:38:05 PM »
On 220 film, there is no backing paper except for lead-in and lead-out. So if the camera has a red window, it definitely won't work.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3447 on: May 06, 2018, 10:08:43 PM »
Re 220, there's typically a provision for adjusting the pressure plate as well, since the lack of paper backing requires the plate to be a smidge closer to the gate.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3448 on: May 07, 2018, 01:23:12 AM »
Yeah, I know on my Yashicamat 124G you have to move the pressure plate to a different position to shoot 220.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3449 on: May 07, 2018, 04:30:06 AM »
That lens is a Tessar-type, four elements in three groups: two singles and a cemented pair in the back. Easy to disassemble in most cases. For cleaning fungus, I've found nothing better than moisturizing hand cream. Apply liberally, wait five minutes or so, remove, and clean normally. I am not making this up.

Guys!! (and girls) Good news and bad news! The good news is that it was super simple to unscrew the lenses. Like Andrej said, there are just 2 lens groups to actually unscrew, and they came off pretty easily with a lens spanner (I scratched up the metal parts around the lens spanner divets, but I do that with anything I unscrew in general :( My dad is so disappointed in me :'( ). No set screws, no retaining rings, no nothing. The BAD news is that whatever it is on the lens (the inner part of the back lens group, in case you're keeping score) is IMPOSSIBLE to clean. I tried Andrej's hand cream suggestion, and I didn't have any ammonia or Purell, so I tried alcohol and generic, ammonia-based glass cleaner, and nothing is working. Soaked it in all of the above for minutes at a time. Is there anything else I can try?