Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842541 times)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2550 on: August 09, 2016, 10:53:55 AM »
It's arrived. My 5x4 ONDU pinhole. Now all I need is a bit of sun and a model who can sit still for quite a long time.

The camera is nicely made - looking forward to having a play with it
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2551 on: August 10, 2016, 07:16:05 PM »
After many years of wanting one I finally picked up a Polaroid 195 Land Camera. There was one up for buy it now that had some wear at a reasonable price. I weighed the condition/price vs my stash of pack film and took the plunge. It arrived in better condition than I expected but with a bit of a musty odor. I swabbed it down with white vinegar and aired it out overnight which helped a bit. Now it smells like a slightly musty salad. A couple of test shots confirmed that it's working well with no apparent light leaks. Now to waste all of that pack film.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2552 on: August 10, 2016, 10:12:09 PM »
Wipe it with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda 1+1. That should get the smell out.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2553 on: August 11, 2016, 02:22:08 AM »
I'll probably never find a deal like this again, but....

During my usual thrift store rounds, I checked one of the stores in one of the area where they keep their sub-$20 point and shoot cameras. I saw a gray case with what I thought was a Pentax logo (all I could see was AX as I grabbed it). Opened the case and found this:

It wasn't marked, so I called the manager over and asked what the price was. He said "how does $3 sound? Just tell them at the register that xxxx said $3." Sounded great to me, so I thanked him and kept looking. I found an empty camera bag marked for slightly more than the $3 he told me with the manual for the T2, the original sales receipt, and some miscellaneous other paperwork. I brought it to his attention and thanked him again for his help. It's in fantastic condition and hasn't yet been film tested, but wow...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:24:34 AM by thatguychad »

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #2554 on: August 11, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »
Wow! That is quite a find.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2555 on: August 11, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
Wipe it with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda 1+1. That should get the smell out.

Thanks!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2556 on: August 11, 2016, 02:51:09 PM »
This recipe is based on my skunk-out formula which also uses dish soap to remove the grease that is also in skunk urine and that makes the odor hard to get out.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2557 on: August 11, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
This recipe is based on my skunk-out formula which also uses dish soap to remove the grease that is also in skunk urine and that makes the odor hard to get out.

Francois, there are, occasionally, odd things I hear about that make me feel lucky to live in the UK and the total absence (outside of a zoo) of skunk urine is definitely one of them  :o :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2558 on: August 11, 2016, 07:29:49 PM »

That you have a recipe for skunk-out formula begs the question: How often do you need it?  :o

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2559 on: August 11, 2016, 09:36:03 PM »
Well, you know, here in Canada, skunks are a very common sight when you live outside the city. At night they all come out from under garden sheds and roam around. If you're unlucky, if you go out at night to check if you locked the car doors and one happens to be eating grubs in the front lawn, you're in for it ;)

This is a formula I got from Adam Savage and I can say that it works on most anything with a funky smell. And it's particularly effective on skunk spray, much more than the commercial stuff. They can't sell this formula because it breaks down very rapidly. You can't store it.

I'm lucky to never have been skunked, though the neighbor's dog has... and the neighbors tried to wash him with tomato juice... poor thing.

The original skunk-out formula is a simple 1+1+1 using baking soda, dish soap and hydrogen peroxide. When you mix the peroxide and the baking soda, it releases a lot of oxygen that attack the bacteria and molecules that cause the smell to break them down. And since skunk smell contains a molecule that stinks more when you add water and an oily substance to make it all stick, the dish soap breaks down the oil. Once it's foamed and covered the zone where there is spray, you just rinse with water and the smell is gone.

I've used it on smelly jars I wanted to re-use and you'd be surprised at how good it is. You'll actually wonder what nothing actually smells like!
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2560 on: August 11, 2016, 09:40:11 PM »
I saw a possum right outside my apartment building the other day. I had no idea possums live in NYC (though, why wouldn't they? raccoons do!) so it scared the s**t out of me. I also didn't realize quite how ugly they look in person  ???

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2561 on: August 11, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
I saw a possum right outside my apartment building the other day. I had no idea possums live in NYC (though, why wouldn't they? raccoons do!) so it scared the s**t out of me. I also didn't realize quite how ugly they look in person  ???

The only time I ever saw a possum in NYC was when I was a kid in the 70s and it was in someone's backyard in Jamaica.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2562 on: August 11, 2016, 09:47:14 PM »

The only time I ever saw a possum in NYC was when I was a kid in the 70s and it was in someone's backyard in Jamaica.

See, Jamaica I'd believe because it's basically almost Long Island. Astoria? Not so much.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2563 on: August 11, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
Also, what is this "backyard" thing you speak of?  ;D

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2564 on: August 11, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »

It was this amazing outside thing. A part of their house except there was no house on it. Once we got back to our apartment I kept looking for ours but just kept bumping my head into walls.

clagom

• Designer / illustrator / Photographer
    • claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #2565 on: August 12, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »
Wow, that a find! :D

I'll probably never find a deal like this again, but....

During my usual thrift store rounds, I checked one of the stores in one of the area where they keep their sub-$20 point and shoot cameras. I saw a gray case with what I thought was a Pentax logo (all I could see was AX as I grabbed it). Opened the case and found this:

It wasn't marked, so I called the manager over and asked what the price was. He said "how does $3 sound? Just tell them at the register that xxxx said $3." Sounded great to me, so I thanked him and kept looking. I found an empty camera bag marked for slightly more than the $3 he told me with the manual for the T2, the original sales receipt, and some miscellaneous other paperwork. I brought it to his attention and thanked him again for his help. It's in fantastic condition and hasn't yet been film tested, but wow...

clagom

• Designer / illustrator / Photographer
    • claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #2566 on: August 12, 2016, 12:12:39 PM »
I just picked up... a Mamiya RB67 Pro S. Wanted this camera for a while, and I found a great deal with the 90mm C lens, 120 and Polaroid back.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2567 on: August 12, 2016, 11:30:23 PM »

It was this amazing outside thing. A part of their house except there was no house on it. Once we got back to our apartment I kept looking for ours but just kept bumping my head into walls.

;D ;D ;D I bump my head into things all the time but I don't think it has anything to do with this "backyard" thing...

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #2568 on: August 13, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »
Hi!

I picked up a Dallmeyer Pentac 8" 2.9 for my Graflex (+ the JoLo adapter) ...
I hope to show you some pics next weekend ;-)

Salud!

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2569 on: August 17, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »
Congrats on finding the T2 thatguychad! It´s an absolutely loveable camera  :)

I treated myself to 100 rolls of 400h, while it´s still possible  ???
A cupel of years out of date but well keept so they should be good.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2570 on: August 17, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »
Wow, you really like 400H!! :o

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2571 on: August 18, 2016, 04:30:10 AM »
Congrats on finding the T2 thatguychad! It´s an absolutely loveable camera  :)

Thanks, but I think I'm going to sell it. With what they fetch, I could use the money for a Minolta CLE or something that I really want (the T2 just fell into my lap.) I also just picked up a Rolleiflex with a 2.8 Planar for a good price. I haven't received it yet, I'm just hoping it's in decent shape (can't tell the state of the lenses from the pictures.)

That's quite a haul of film you've got there!

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2572 on: August 18, 2016, 10:21:11 AM »
That Makes sens, just give it a good try first  ;)
I love to do good deals and trade up to something I really want - it´s something childishly fun in it. Fingers crossed for the 2.8 Planar! In my opinion hands down the camera that feels the best of all medium format cameras  ;D

And yea, I like how the 400h looks, so much that I went back and bought the rest of the stok, 85 more rolls + 40 rolls of 800z and 20 160s. The seller was asking $0.60 a roll. Should have enough color film for the rest of the decade, though 6x18 eats film!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2573 on: August 18, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »
At $0.60 a roll I'd have done the same.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2574 on: August 18, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
I could use the money for a Minolta CLE or something that I really want.

I recently saw a Minolta CLE Kit (Body + 28/40/90 lenses all in nice condition) on a UK camera retailer website.  The kit was up for £849.  I've seen them cheaper - but not much when being sold by a retailer.  I've looked at these before and they are very nice.  Apparently, some lenses can have white spots (slight balsam failure I think) - which don't impact image quality but can put off some buyers.

Good luck with the hunt.....

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2575 on: August 18, 2016, 01:08:39 PM »
Apparently, some lenses can have white spots (slight balsam failure I think) - which don't impact image quality but can put off some buyers.

I can assure you that the white spot problem with the 28/2.8 M-Rokkor does impact on the performance. I have had three of them, two with dots, one clean. Thing is that it performs so well that you don´t really notice, unless you play with stray light, back light etc. in those conditions the contrast is reduced and the color´s gets less saturation and gets a "dead" look. The 40/2 is brilliant! and the 90/4 is good.
Never had the CLE but several CL´s, in my opinion the are superb pocketable cameras but a bit to small for man hands as a walk-around street shooter.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2576 on: August 18, 2016, 01:40:57 PM »
When I got my first Leica M body (quite a few years ago), it was a toss up against a CLE kit like the one I described and I was sorely tempted to go for the CLE as it had all the lenses I'd need.  I won't dispute your comments on performance where there's white spot present but the shop did produce photos using the 28mm and, in all honesty, I couldn't see any defects.  That said, they were all taken "with" the light rather than contre-jour.  The presence of the spots and the fear that they might worsen is what swayed my decision.

As it's an M-mount camera, I suppose it would be possible to mount a 28mm-Elmarit-M if a wide option is required?  It might impinge on the viewfinder a bit more, though.

Yes, and if you have larger and chunky hands, the CLE can be a bit too compact....

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2577 on: August 19, 2016, 06:59:08 PM »
I traded my Minolta XD7 for a Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4. Look what came with it as a body cap! ;)

Minolta 7000 & 35-70mm f/4 by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2578 on: August 19, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »
Skinny rectangular buttons were soooo cool in the '80s!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2579 on: August 19, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »
Skinny rectangular buttons were soooo cool in the '80s!

I never gave that much thought until your post, now I'm having flashbacks to skinny rectangular buttons.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2580 on: August 19, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Ha ha ha. I was born in 81 so I'm probably too young to have noticed. But I must say that I'm positively surprised by the camera. The finder is great and it feels solid enough.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2581 on: August 19, 2016, 10:07:08 PM »
Oh yeah! those were the days when designers were definitely pushing the envelope.
I just love square buttons and angular casings!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:09:39 PM by Francois »
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2582 on: August 23, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »
Thanks to the generosity of some fellow Filmwasters I now have an Olympus OM-2n and my first Soviet 8mm movie camera.  Peter sent me the Olympus OM-2n with a Zuiko MC Autozoom f/4 35-70mm lens and a Winder 2.   Terry sent me an Ekran-4 with a three lens turret plus two packs of FP-100c. 

Olympus OM-2n by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2583 on: August 23, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »
Nice! When I bought my Beaulieu 4008 I was looking also at a little Russian wind-up. I haven't shot any recently, but maybe if Ferraina gets things going, I'll dust it off again.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2584 on: August 25, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »
Even though I don't own a 4x5 camera at this point (just sold my Travelwide) I've a few sheets that I still need to develop. Now I just need to figure out which camera to get.  ;D

SP-445 4x5 processing tank by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2585 on: August 26, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
A beautiful Flektogon 50mm for my Pentacon Six. It's a really odd version with leatherette on it.

Pentacon Six with Flektogon 50mm by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2586 on: August 30, 2016, 12:08:18 AM »
just picked up a phat roll of 220 from the fuji 690.

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #2587 on: August 30, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »
Berlebach wooden tripod. Ebay £80.
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #2588 on: August 30, 2016, 06:34:50 PM »
Something modest  - a brass 3/8 to 1/4 female to male adapter so I can use a super vintage £10 tripod I bought at the May camera meet for £10, universally. Well, part from the 5x4. And the 1/2 plate. And the Blad and the big Leica - all to heavy. But for a point and shoot or Polaroid support on business trips, it's just the thing. And now, usable.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #2589 on: August 31, 2016, 09:59:09 AM »
You've just reminded me I need a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter  :)
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2590 on: August 31, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
Two packs of second run New55, and a 545 holder.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2591 on: August 31, 2016, 10:44:15 PM »
I sure do hope you got a good batch :)
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2592 on: September 01, 2016, 02:07:40 AM »
Hooray, my SPP-445 4x5 processor and my Ondu 6x12 multiform pinhole camera (with nifty Ondu t-shirt) both arrived on the same day!!!

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2593 on: September 02, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
Another F100 + 50/1.4 AF-D arrived yesterday and 15 rolls of Fuji Natura 1600 is on the way.
The idea is that this will be designated to a upcoming ethnographic pice I`m working on. I have a serious love/hate relation to the F100, the best and most boring, the practical but way to loud and large. My fifth body, probably not my last.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2594 on: September 02, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Nice rig, Aksel.  I have the same lens and really like how it renders wide open. 

Strangely, I recently traded an F100 c/w MB15 winder for an F5.  Although I usually like to travel light, I really love the F5 and, as that's my only auto-focus camera, I don't feel guilty having to lug around probably the heaviest SLR ever made....!  Thankfully, the only lenses I have for it are the 24/f2.8, 50/f1.4 and 85/f1.8 - which don't with that much or take up too much room.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2595 on: September 03, 2016, 09:05:20 PM »
Mom spent a whole 2$ for me. No tax since it was at a charity shop.
She got me an Olympus Stylus Epic Limited... I know not everybody likes the Epic/µ (Mju), but this one is a bit special.
It's a Limited edition in a dark burgundy Quartz date model that was produced at only 20,000 examples to celebrate the first 10 million sales of the epic stylus series .
And mine is in the low serials! (number 0000487)
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2596 on: September 03, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
Just got one of these

and immediately popped the top (as you do) to clean the viewfinder which was pretty dusty.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2597 on: September 03, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
Lucky...
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2598 on: September 03, 2016, 11:38:15 PM »
Went to my local camera shop to buy a spare Arca Swiss style plate for my tripod, because I've become a firm believer that you should always have a spare, in either your camera bag or if you have one, your tripod bag. It's no fun setting up a shot and realizing that you left the plate attached to a camera that you don't have with you. While I was there I took a look through the various bits and junk that they keep in the back of the store and came away with a non-working Konica FS-1 for $5.00. The sweet part was that there was a Hexagon f1.4 50mm lens attached that was in fairly good shape. Then I noticed a Yashica C in the used case for only $50.00 and thought "Well yes, I have an A and a D, and that C looks like it could us company." Oh yes, I got the base plate as well.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2599 on: September 04, 2016, 12:35:19 AM »
Now you just need a B :D