Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842499 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2450 on: May 08, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
I've been wanting a Contax 645 since the first time I saw it, but finally found one at a sensible price. This came with a Zeiss 80mm f2.0, a battery hand grip, a prism finder, a waist level finder and a film back with insert. Compared to ebay prices I've saved around a thousand pounds on this deal.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2451 on: May 08, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »
The sexiest 645 on the planet. Ever
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2452 on: May 08, 2016, 10:27:37 PM »
Holy crap my friend, that´s a nice kit  ;D
I always had a good eye to the Contax as well but never actually made the jump. Pleas let us know how it feels!
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2453 on: May 08, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »
And the lenses are ohh so sweet.
Too bad they stopped making it...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2454 on: May 10, 2016, 04:12:52 PM »
... A book! Courtesy of the Hasselblad Foundation. I'm in Gothenburg with the day job and was given a copy of the Hasselblad Awards 1980-2010 book, when I went to the Foundation. It features the 30 award winners to (that) date and has some cracking snaps in it.
The award is, essentially, a 'life time achievement ' award & should not be confused with the annual Masters programme, which recognises Hasselblad kit users skill.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2455 on: May 11, 2016, 06:27:06 AM »
A Calumet 4x5 monorail view camera with a Kodak Ektar lens and a handful of film holders for $99 at a local thrift store.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2456 on: May 11, 2016, 02:12:02 PM »
Monorails at thrift stores? Now that's a rare sight!
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2457 on: May 11, 2016, 04:00:49 PM »
Monorails at thrift stores? Now that's a rare sight!

That was my thought. I've been watching it for about a week and they had it for about a week before that. This week it was 50% off (they had it listed at $299), but they took even more off because I knew about it and would obviously appreciate it, which was nice of them.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #2458 on: May 18, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »
Some prints. From my camera. Remember those? It makes such a change for the postman to deliver something I actually want to open, as opposed to bills, junk mail, final demands, summons, repossession orders etc
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2459 on: May 18, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
 :)
Oh yeah, I remember those days when we actually had mail everyday.
Now we're lucky if we get it two times a week.
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2460 on: May 22, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
Nikon F with 85/1.4 Ai-s just arrived and it´s now loaded with a roll of Fuji Natura 1600. Ready from from dusk till dawn  ;)
A wonderful camera but compared to it´s German competition it´s not really up there when it comes to tactility. At 1/5 the price that´s ok.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2461 on: May 22, 2016, 08:03:27 PM »
A bunch of LF lenses at Photographica - and they all turned out far cheaper than they might have on eBay, so I'm well pleased.

But also a free sample of Fomapan 320 4x5 film, yes free, from some really nice people at the Parallax Photographic Coop.  Yes, a cooperative dealership selling all sorts of nice stuff and well worth your attention if you're looking to support ethical traders. Parallax  Check them out.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2462 on: May 22, 2016, 08:40:23 PM »
At a second hand store, Minolta SRT MC II with a 50 f1.7 Rokkor X
Needs foam, plastic tip missing on advance lever, but fully functional although meter off a stop over with 1.5v battery. I snatched it up for $13 but have some obvious work to do on it. I have an idea about the advance lever tip and I'll tell you later if it works.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2463 on: May 22, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
Nikon F with 85/1.4 Ai-s just arrived and it´s now loaded with a roll of Fuji Natura 1600. Ready from from dusk till dawn  ;)
A wonderful camera but compared to it´s German competition it´s not really up there when it comes to tactility. At 1/5 the price that´s ok.

Congrats Aksel, a Nikon F is never wrong no matter what the Germans say. With an older version of the 85mm this camera could have come straight outta the film 'Blow up'. ;)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2464 on: May 22, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »
I'm waiting until later this week to drop by my favorite antiques store to see if he's got anything new. He told me that he would have more stuff to come, so I can't wait :)
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2465 on: May 23, 2016, 06:32:26 AM »
Nice to have contacts like that, francois :)

Man, I dunno when it started but I'm starting to get a craving for an original nikon f :p
Nice piece of kit!

John, looking forward to see your solution. I just used two layers of shrinktube
/jonas

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #2466 on: May 23, 2016, 08:27:22 AM »
A mini tripod to throw in my overnight bag when away on business. Bought it at Photographica, the used camera love-in in London. I spent £9 on the tripod. Other FWs spent considerably more, but I'll leave it for them to fess-up, hopefully once they have taken some snaps of their lovely new additions. One piece of used Blad stuff looked especially tasty.

As a side note, I actually handled some of the cameras I've been looking at on EvilBay. Some confirmed that I actually 'need' to get one - others - some by respected manufacturers - just didn't sit comfortably in my (rather small) hand. So I'm pleased that I saw them in the flesh before I bought one.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2467 on: May 23, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
As David (Zapsnaps) mentioned, it was an interesting day. 

I managed to trade the Canon FD gear I had for a nice Nikkor 85mm.f1.8 AF-D lens / hood + a mint Voigtlander Vitomatic II with 50mm/f2.8 Color-Skopar and working meter + mixed bag of 8 rolls of 35mm film (Rollei Ortho 25, Rollei Infrarot and Fomapan 200). 

My wonderful wife, however, went totally "off-piste" and bought me a Hasselblad SW/C in very nice condition (incl the viewfinder and A12 back). I genuinely did my best to dissuade her but she was insistent as she knew I'd been after one of these for years.  I will take some photos of it soon....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2468 on: May 23, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
Nice to have contacts like that, francois :)
Sometimes it's worth it to be a repeat buyer at a small shop and get to know the seller :)
So far I got from him a bunch of film holders, a bulk loader, a bunch of empty cassettes, some untested photo paper which turned out to be about 50% good, enlarger lens, a few cameras, a film cassette opener, a large easel for my 4x5 enlarger... and probably some other stuff I can't remember.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2469 on: May 23, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »
My wonderful wife, however, went totally "off-piste" and bought me a Hasselblad SW/C in very nice condition (incl the viewfinder and A12 back). I genuinely did my best to dissuade her but she was insistent as she knew I'd been after one of these for years.  I will take some photos of it soon....

You should take some photos with it, too  ;D ;D ;D

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2470 on: May 23, 2016, 09:59:42 PM »
What Indofunk said! Haha congrats :D
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2471 on: May 23, 2016, 10:55:53 PM »
What Indofunk said! Haha congrats :D

Only got it yesterday.  It's got a fresh roll of HP5+ on-board and will be getting its inaugural outing this weekend.... ;)

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #2472 on: May 24, 2016, 05:30:12 PM »
At Photographica, London I got an OM-1 MD in nice condition apart the motor drive socket cap been broken.

And a nice Zuiko Macro 50mm /3.5. That was what I was looking for.
What I wasn't looking for but did get was the Zoom 35-70mm /3.6.
It has some balsam separation at the edges of an inner element, but I've already shot 2 rolls and I can't find any problem.
And I can't complain about the price being as it was a lot less than what some ask for this lens on Ebay.

WP_20160524_16_37_08_Pro by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

Now it is to find the hood for that lens.
I saw one on Ebay going for more than what I paid for the lens!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:41:42 PM by Ricardo Miranda »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2473 on: May 25, 2016, 04:43:42 PM »
Nice one O2Pilot.  I have a nooky, I find it easier to scale focus than using the rangefinder.

Why is that? Do you find the RF inaccurate?

With my Leica it's hard to see the split image in the rangefinder in dim light and the Nooky makes it even harder.  I have a Leica III made in 1936, it's in great condition but the rangefinder is not very bright.  I tied a knot in a string at a set distance and tied it off on the tripod nut, that's how I shot these.

Nice shots - are those with the an Elmar?

As far as the RF spot goes, you can get a brand new replacement mirror for $10 from Japan. Easy to install and makes a huge difference.

Those were both taken with the Elmar lens.  Do you have a source where I can get the mirror?

Search for ebay seller "nobbysparrow". The part is listed as a beam-splitter mirror. He's in Japan.

I took your advice and got the beam-splitter from "nobbysparrow".  I installed it last night and re-calibrated the rangefinder.  It did make a huge difference, the rangefinder works great now, even in low light!  Other than trying to loosen screws that haven't been turned in 80 years it was a fairly easy fix.  The old beam-splitter was a total mess.  Thanks for the information O2Pilot!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2474 on: May 25, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »
Glad to help, Bryan. A new mirror can make an enormous difference.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2475 on: May 26, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »
I got Meta35 for Canon/Nikon and did a group shot with my supported cameras.

clagom

• Designer / illustrator / Photographer
    • claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #2476 on: May 27, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »
Just picked up this Polaroid Land 190. So happy to use a full manual instant camera! Less happy about the film situation... but I do hope and think someone will make it.
I also tried to put a single Instax film in an empty FP-100C case, shot it, and brought back to the Instax case to use the rollers of the Belair Back. It did work quite well, of course it's not convenient as a normal use :)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2477 on: May 27, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »
I also tried to put a single Instax film in an empty FP-100C case, shot it, and brought back to the Instax case to use the rollers of the Belair Back. It did work quite well, of course it's not convenient as a normal use :)
Could you tape a 'flap' of some sort to the edge of the Instax that would stick out through the rollers of the Land 190 and then just pull it through after exposing? It's a lot of trouble for essentially a single shot, but might be worth trying once.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2478 on: May 27, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
I hope somebody will come up with a type of back replacement adapter for those cameras. That alone would sell like hotcakes.
Francois

clagom

• claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #2479 on: May 27, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »
Could you tape a 'flap' of some sort to the edge of the Instax that would stick out through the rollers of the Land 190 and then just pull it through after exposing? It's a lot of trouble for essentially a single shot, but might be worth trying once.

I thought about that, but I think it doesn't work because of fhe chemical liquid is at the top of the negative in the Instax film, while it's on a side on the pack film. So I wonder if sliding it on the side it'd spread the chemical in the right way (indeed it comes out from the top in the Instax cameras). But indeed it's something to try!

clagom

• claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #2480 on: May 27, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
I hope somebody will come up with a type of back replacement adapter for those cameras. That alone would sell like hotcakes.
I'd prefer a new pack film, but yes, also an adapted back would be great. These cameras are so nice, can't believe they may go for good :(
Anyway I want to try to adapt my Lomo Belair Back with a Polaroid EE100

Mab

« Reply #2481 on: May 28, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »
After a long time keeping an eye out I finally managed to secure myself an original print from Kåre Kivijärvi, without having to sell both my kidneys. Produced by Kåre in the early 60´s but amazingly it was never mounted or framed until now. Me happy long time!

A fabulous shot. The name rings a bell. Apparently he spent a few years in Helsinki in -70's but as far as I know he is not widely known here as an artist. I'll try to find more information of Kåre's time in Helsinki.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2482 on: May 28, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »
not cheap but still a rare find, it's the 2.8 version even :)

unfortunately the shutter is sticky and framelines on the loose.
anyone with experience taking care one of these?
/jonas

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2483 on: May 28, 2016, 07:43:50 PM »

No experience that version, but if it's like the others in the series, it's pretty straightforward. Probably just contamination on the blades - that's the usual culprit. Simple shutter, combined aperture and shutter blades, and only two of them. No meter linkage to worry about, so that simplifies things. I'd pull the blades, clean and rub with graphite powder, and reinstall. You will have to recollimate the lens. Framelines should be easy once you pop the top plate off.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2484 on: May 28, 2016, 09:10:36 PM »

No experience that version, but if it's like the others in the series, it's pretty straightforward. Probably just contamination on the blades - that's the usual culprit. Simple shutter, combined aperture and shutter blades, and only two of them. No meter linkage to worry about, so that simplifies things. I'd pull the blades, clean and rub with graphite powder, and reinstall. You will have to recollimate the lens. Framelines should be easy once you pop the top plate off.
sperture blades are 6 and shutter 5. it seems like a different beast compared to my trip, ees-2 and ee-s. I've seen the ee-s apart since I converted that to pinhole.

I'm not really confident in my recollimating skills since the smena 8m I "fixed" though I think the focusing on that one is just slipping on me...
might be able to get away with putting a mark on the front part of the lens so I screw it in at the same distance as it was at.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2485 on: May 28, 2016, 09:41:08 PM »
Marking is the simplest thing to do when it's accompanied with extensive note taking.
Collimating can be fairly easy if you know the trick. The hard part on the ees will be to keep the shutter open while doing the job.

What I found works best is to take a piece of scotch tape and put some sort of mark on the sticky side. Then you stick it to the film rails in the camera.
With the shutter open, you put a strong slash light behind the scotch tape target.
Now take an SLR with a long lens (I used a 70-300 for my last job and it was more than enough)
Set the camera near the edge of a desk and using your finger as a rest shoot through both lenses to view the target. If the long lens is close to infinity, you just need to adjust the other camera's lens until the mark is sharp.

That's it!
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2486 on: May 28, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »
Now, today was a city wide garage sale day. Not a lot of sellers and usually not much good stuff.
But I did come to a place where the lady had two HUGE boxes of old photo stuff.
I asked her how much she wanted for the boxes, she told me 40$
I looked at them and recognized a few things, so I asked her if she would take 20$ for the whole lot if I don't even look at what's inside. To my surprise, she said yes!

So, this is today's big haul.
I still don't really know what's in the boxes. All I know is that there was a box of Instax film.
I also got a camera bag with some Canon gear inside for a whopping 5$

So... what do you think is inside that mystery box?  8)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2487 on: May 28, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »
Nice haul Francois, looks like you got someones darkroom, all but the enlarger. 

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2488 on: May 28, 2016, 10:14:29 PM »
Ohyeah, I didn't use a tele lens last time. Thanks for the reminder, Francois!

Good haul btw! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's some interesting chemicals among all that :)
/jonas

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2489 on: May 28, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »

sperture blades are 6 and shutter 5. it seems like a different beast compared to my trip, ees-2 and ee-s. I've seen the ee-s apart since I converted that to pinhole.

I'm not really confident in my recollimating skills since the smena 8m I "fixed" though I think the focusing on that one is just slipping on me...
might be able to get away with putting a mark on the front part of the lens so I screw it in at the same distance as it was at.

Jonas, have a look at this link:

http://elekm.net/zeiss-ikon/repair/collimate/
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2490 on: May 28, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »
Thanks, Kai. :)

Now somebody holla if you got any advice or links on this particular camera (olympus pen s)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2491 on: May 28, 2016, 10:30:36 PM »
Nice haul Francois, looks like you got someones darkroom, all but the enlarger.
I started looking through it and I did find some film holders... I wonder if they will fit my Omega D-II?
I also got a whole bunch of stainless reels and tanks. And when I say a bunch, I really mean A LOT!
Like enough to get Squiddly Diddly started on a darkroom course :)
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2492 on: May 28, 2016, 11:43:18 PM »
Thanks, Kai. :)

Now somebody holla if you got any advice or links on this particular camera (olympus pen s)
Well the up-side on collimating the lens on that camera is that it has a 'B' shutter speed. I thought I had adequately marked the lens on my Pen EES2, but when it turned out I didn't, there isn't really any way to collimate the lens. :(
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2493 on: May 29, 2016, 07:26:33 AM »
A digisnap of my Christmas and birthday presents for years to come, courtesy of my lovely wife when we were at Photographica last weekend...

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #2494 on: May 29, 2016, 08:05:12 AM »
That looks amazing. And I'm sure the work you do with it will be amazing too. Have fun
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2495 on: May 29, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
Another, much more modest, little gem I picked up at Photographica.  Voigtlander Vitomatic II in almost mint condition - minus a lens shade and (n)ever-ready case.  Anyone know what diameter the filter is?  It's smaller than 39mm as my 39mm filter is too big....

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2496 on: May 29, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »

OK, so it's closer to the Pen D series. Those use a Copal X shutter - not sure if the S uses the same. The basic approach is still going to require pulling the front element, but the key question as far as collimation is this: is it a unit focusing lens or a front-cell focusing lens? If it's the former, no worries, as you won't need to recollimate.

If it is a Copal X shutter, the one important tidbit to know is that there's a tiny ball bearing used in the shutter speed detent (IIRC) that will be loose once you pull off the front plate of the shutter. Very easy to lose. The shutter itself is very well-designed and easy to service.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2497 on: May 29, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »
That can only mean one thing: work on a big towel or a microfiber cloth with looped tread.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2498 on: May 29, 2016, 06:58:05 PM »

OK, so it's closer to the Pen D series. Those use a Copal X shutter - not sure if the S uses the same. The basic approach is still going to require pulling the front element, but the key question as far as collimation is this: is it a unit focusing lens or a front-cell focusing lens? If it's the former, no worries, as you won't need to recollimate.

If it is a Copal X shutter, the one important tidbit to know is that there's a tiny ball bearing used in the shutter speed detent (IIRC) that will be loose once you pull off the front plate of the shutter. Very easy to lose. The shutter itself is very well-designed and easy to service.

Copal-x shutter it is. Great, I'm starting to feel confident now so I'll give it a go as soon as I have time.

Thanks all for the help everyone! :)
Francois, I'll be sure to use some cloth, that was a good one. I haven't handled loose parts much before so it sounds like a good idea
/jonas

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2499 on: May 29, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »

Copal-x shutter it is. Great, I'm starting to feel confident now so I'll give it a go as soon as I have time.

Thanks all for the help everyone! :)
Francois, I'll be sure to use some cloth, that was a good one. I haven't handled loose parts much before so it sounds like a good idea

This deals with the PEN D rather than the PEN S, but if it's a Copal X shutter, it may be useful (in conjunction with Google Translate): http://blog.livedoor.jp/camera_repair_minoha/tag/%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AA%E3%83%B3%E3%83%91%E3%82%B9PEN-D

-Hunter S. Thompson
-