Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842503 times)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2400 on: April 02, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
A Canon EF 35mm f/2 and 10 rolls of Agfa Vista 400.

Canon EF 35mm f/2, Agfa Vista 400 by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2401 on: April 02, 2016, 11:27:54 PM »
This is, of course, all Domingo's fault as I went on the 'bay to look for Retinas and I found a minty-looking Retina IIc with just a few hours to run, so I took a punt....
Now it's mine, and it looks sweet, the case has a few very minor blemishes but is in excellent condition and the camera itself looks like it just rolled out of the factory.
I'm really looking forward to running a roll of film through it.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2402 on: April 03, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »
A Canon EF 35mm f/2 and 10 rolls of Agfa Vista 400.

That´s a brilliant combo Urban, super light - very good lens and far from flashy around town.
Now I need a lens form my 650 here as well =)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2403 on: April 04, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
That´s a brilliant combo Urban, super light - very good lens and far from flashy around town.

I definitely is, although some day I want to own a 1N or 1V as well! BTW if you're OK with a zoom lens then PM me. I have two lying around that I will never use.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2404 on: April 04, 2016, 08:34:16 PM »

I definitely is, although some day I want to own a 1N or 1V as well! BTW if you're OK with a zoom lens then PM me. I have two lying around that I will never use.

Many thanks Urban!
I already have the plastic fantastic 35-70mm lens for it and very soon the 40/2.8 pancake  ;D

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2405 on: April 05, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »
I already have the plastic fantastic 35-70mm lens for it and very soon the 40/2.8 pancake  ;D

Yes, that's one of the lenses I will never use. ;D I also have a Tamron 28-200 that takes up space in my cupboard.

The 40mm is a great lens. Especially when paired with a tiny camera like a 300V. In the end I sold both as either the camera or the lens (or both?) don't focus that quickly. At least not compared to the 50mm f/1.8 or the 35mm f/2.

Canon EOS 300V & Voigtländer Bessa R2 by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #2406 on: April 07, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »
This is a long time awaited book - I saw a good offer and thought only once. The book is 1993 first edition, in excellent condition.

This is the index of the book.

Some extraordinary prints inside the book, giving support to his explanations.

And, finally, the first version of his well known two-bath formula (this is not a chemistry book, full of magical recipes, but you'll also find three or four other formulations). Later, he revised it, lowering the quantity of Metol and Sodium Sulphite in first bath and increasing the Sodium Metaborate in second bath, as the site Barrythorton.com assert.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:52:07 PM by Domingo A. Siliceo »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2407 on: April 09, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »
I've been offered a Minolta Maxxum 9xi with 50mm f/1.7 and 35-70 (or so) zoom for $50 + postage. There's no way I could say no to that even though I've read that the interface of that camera is really not intuitive at all. Can't wait for it to arrive and try the 1/12000s shutter speed. ;)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2408 on: April 09, 2016, 06:38:34 PM »
Came home yesterday to see a big yellow box with kodak written on it :o and thought I love my wife  only to be told it was full of gramaphone records :( :'( but she did get me at the auction  a  Pentax MZ -10 for 22 quid which I'll have to source a couple of batteries to find out if it works

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2409 on: April 10, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
I've been offered a Minolta Maxxum 9xi with 50mm f/1.7 and 35-70 (or so) zoom for $50 + postage. There's no way I could say no to that even though I've read that the interface of that camera is really not intuitive at all. Can't wait for it to arrive and try the 1/12000s shutter speed. ;)

1/12000s !?  Holy crap! Now I need to google 9xi  ;)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #2410 on: April 10, 2016, 08:30:12 PM »
I believe I reported that my awesome brother saved 3 bricks of expired Pan F from the dumpster and recently mailed it to me  :)

Since it seems to like 25ISO (it was expired in '96 and it seems that it was not cold stored) I have been waiting for the days to be getting longer before shooting it and I am happy to report that it is working out quite well. I should probably try a developer other than my tried and true HC110, but thanks to my bro I now have a nice addition to my film cache!

BTW, those Retinas are cute cameras!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2411 on: April 10, 2016, 09:05:06 PM »
I just picked up/found two cameras that I didn't really want.  The first is a Nikon N60 SLR that I picked up at a garage sale in my neighborhood for $20.  It is in very nice condition and has a Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3 kit lens.  I didn't really want the camera but I did want the Lowepro bag that it came in.  I may run a roll of film through it before I decide what to do with it.  It is the first Nikon that I've ever owned.

There was an exposed roll of Kodak 400 C-41 film in the bag that I Semi-Stand developed in Rodinal this weekend.  There were pictures of a bunch of kids in Halloween costumes.  I decided to put the pictures on a CD and gave them back to the lady that was having the sale.  She said it was her daughters camera then asked "Do I really want to see these?".  I assured her it was nothing to worry about. 

Nikon N60 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I didn't just pick up this Kodak Advantix 3200 AF camera, I found it in the back of a high shelf in my laundry room when I was looking for something else.  It was a camera that I used for work about 16 years ago.  I must have shoved it up there and forgot about it.  It still had a roll of film loaded so I put some fresh batteries in it and took a few pictures of my dogs to finish it off and sent it to the lab.  I do have an expired roll of Advantix film so I will probably take some panoramic pictures with it.  It lets you choose three different formats and the panoramic is quite wide. 

Kodak Advantix 3200 AF by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2412 on: April 10, 2016, 09:22:11 PM »
You probably will be happily surprised by the Nikon. Some of their amateur models were so underrated.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2413 on: April 11, 2016, 05:43:34 PM »
Some new film from Japan arrived today:

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2414 on: April 13, 2016, 04:00:31 AM »
A Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 S.S.C. lens in excellent condition from a thrift store for $10.  I couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2415 on: April 13, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
A Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 S.S.C. lens in excellent condition from a thrift store for $10.  I couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Nice! Wish we had thrift stores like that in the UK. That's a $75-100 equivalent in reasonable condition over here.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #2416 on: April 13, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »
after a long break, i couldn't resist. a beautiful, almost new Canon 1V (26 rolls only)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:52:21 PM by Volker »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2417 on: April 13, 2016, 11:05:46 PM »
Can't blame you for not resisting...
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2418 on: April 13, 2016, 11:47:07 PM »
I caved and bought a 116 Beau Brownie in great shape (said the seller).....except it has 2 VERY dessicated spiders in the lens area.

Kodak nailed those cameras together, so I am debating pulling the nails out to clean out the spiders or just leave the spiders continue to dry out and hopefully go to dust...
How they got in there in the first place is a mystery, maybe through the tripod sockets?  Anyway, it's going to be a paper negative user in the meantime.
Good thing I'm not the squeamish type.    ;D

Also I wonder how old those spiders are?   1926 vintage?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:49:08 PM by astrobeck »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2419 on: April 14, 2016, 07:48:43 AM »
after a long break, i couldn't resist. a beautiful, almost new Canon 1V (26 rolls only)

Who could resist such a camera?!? Hadn't I just spent some money on a Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 9xi that's the camera I would have saved up for. :) I probably will get one eventually anyway.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2420 on: April 14, 2016, 09:07:23 AM »
After a long time keeping an eye out I finally managed to secure myself an original print from Kåre Kivijärvi, without having to sell both my kidneys. Produced by Kåre in the early 60´s but amazingly it was never mounted or framed until now. Me happy long time!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2421 on: April 14, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »
Not familiar with that photographer, Aksel, but it looks like a great photo.  Difficult to do justice to prints with a scanner and posting onto a website / viewed via an uncalibrated screen.  I'll check out more of his work.  Glad your kidneys remain intact!
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2422 on: April 15, 2016, 12:00:45 AM »
Given to me by a friend. Running my first roll through. Only 38 more shots to go on a roll of 24! That's some crazy math! :o
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2423 on: April 21, 2016, 10:41:26 PM »
Not that I needed any of these but the opportunity came up and I couldn't resist.  The first is a Pentax Spotmatic with a Super-Takumar f/1.4 50mm lens and a Super-Takumar f/3.5 135mm lens.  I already had the 28mm lens pictured. 

Pentax Spotmatic by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Pentax H3v with a Yashica Auto Yashinon-DS f/1.7 50mm lens.  This one has a problem with the shutter curtain.  There is a gap in the curtain that will leak light onto the film when it is cocked.  If anyone has any recommendations for fixing it that would be appreciated.  It's not worth sending out for repair so I would have to do it myself.   

Pentax H3v by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The Super-Takumar f/1.4 50mm lens and the Yashica Auto Yashinon-DS f/1.7 50mm lens are both radioactive with the Thorium Oxide glass.  The funny thing about this is the person I bought them from is a colleague that works for the U.S. EPA.  In his defense he didn't know they were radioactive. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2424 on: April 21, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »
I also painted another Brownie Hawkeye.

Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2425 on: April 21, 2016, 11:08:21 PM »
Pentax H3v with a Yashica Auto Yashinon-DS f/1.7 50mm lens.  This one has a problem with the shutter curtain.  There is a gap in the curtain that will leak light onto the film when it is cocked.  If anyone has any recommendations for fixing it that would be appreciated.  It's not worth sending out for repair so I would have to do it myself.   

I once fixed a similar problem on a Minolta SRT by tightening the spring that shoots the shutter curtain shut. Wait, come to think of it, that was a different problem, as the light leak came AFTER the rear shutter curtain closed (ie, not fully) and was solved by cocking the shutter (though not without aforementioned light leak). But maybe you can use that information to fix your problem?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2426 on: April 22, 2016, 12:45:48 AM »

I once fixed a similar problem on a Minolta SRT by tightening the spring that shoots the shutter curtain shut. Wait, come to think of it, that was a different problem, as the light leak came AFTER the rear shutter curtain closed (ie, not fully) and was solved by cocking the shutter (though not without aforementioned light leak). But maybe you can use that information to fix your problem?

I can use it if I remember to put the lens cap on before cocking the shutter but I know I'll forget.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2427 on: April 22, 2016, 02:55:34 PM »
Usually, there is a gear that controls the shutter separation between first and second curtain.
Depending on the model, the gears could be either on the bottom or the top depending on the design. Hopefully they will be visible with minimal dismantling.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2428 on: April 27, 2016, 12:51:50 AM »
We have a radiation monitor on a site I'm working on right now so I wanted to show the person I bought the lenses from how radioactive they are.  He was quite surprised.  We used a meter that only reads Gama radiation which is the only radiation that would get through the back of the camera and have any effect on the person holding it.  The Super-Takumar f/1.4 50mm lens was at 360 Micro-R/hr and the Yashica Auto Yashinon-DS f/1.7 50mm lens was at 150 Micro-R/hr.  On a radiation cleanup we usually use 100 Micro-R/hr as a cleanup level but we tend to be very conservative. 

To put this into perspective it takes about 500,000,000 Micro-R/hr (500 Roentgens per hour) to kill a human in 5 hours.  In a typical U.S. city you're exposed to about 10 to 12 Micro-R/hr all day long.  A flight from New York to LA is about 4,000 Micro-R/hr.  I'm not worried about it, it's not like I have the camera hanging around my neck all day, an airplane flight is far worse. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2429 on: April 27, 2016, 01:05:29 AM »
Wow! Why so much radiation on a flight?

Nevermind, just looked it up ... it's cosmic radiation from the sun without the protective layer of the (lower) atmosphere. Interesting consideration for people who fly a lot, and plane crews...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:23:56 AM by Indofunk »

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2430 on: April 27, 2016, 03:46:14 PM »
bananas are also radioactive.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2431 on: April 27, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
Apparently, The Firm is also radioactive.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2432 on: April 28, 2016, 12:22:24 AM »
Apparently, The Firm is also radioactive.

Stop. Just stop.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2433 on: April 28, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
I just picked up this Kodak Instamatic 124.  It needs a little cleaning but I'm sure it will work fine.  :P

I'm working on a project right now to remove an old landfill built over a stream, this was lying on the surface.  I don't know why anyone would throw away such a nice camera.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2434 on: April 28, 2016, 12:29:54 AM »
I've picked up a few Leica (and related) tidbits since i last checked in here. First off is this spiffy Canon 50/3.5 collapsible.

Then there's this fetching Leitz Elmar 50/3.5 collapsible.

And finally, that most salaciously named Leica accessory, the NOOKY (actually a NOOKY-HESUM, but that sounds less fun).

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2435 on: April 28, 2016, 12:32:39 AM »
Nice one O2Pilot.  I have a nooky, I find it easier to scale focus than using the rangefinder. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2436 on: April 28, 2016, 12:54:49 AM »
Nice one O2Pilot.  I have a nooky, I find it easier to scale focus than using the rangefinder.

Why is that? Do you find the RF inaccurate?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2437 on: April 28, 2016, 01:09:23 AM »

With my Leica it's hard to see the split image in the rangefinder in dim light and the Nooky makes it even harder.  I have a Leica III made in 1936, it's in great condition but the rangefinder is not very bright.  I tied a knot in a string at a set distance and tied it off on the tripod nut, that's how I shot these.

Ornament by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Third Night by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2438 on: April 28, 2016, 01:33:48 AM »
I just picked up this Kodak Instamatic 124.  It needs a little cleaning but I'm sure it will work fine.  :P

I'm working on a project right now to remove an old landfill built over a stream, this was lying on the surface.  I don't know why anyone would throw away such a nice camera.

I'll wind you up a 126 cartridge and we can see what that baby will do!! :P
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2439 on: April 28, 2016, 01:42:53 AM »

With my Leica it's hard to see the split image in the rangefinder in dim light and the Nooky makes it even harder.  I have a Leica III made in 1936, it's in great condition but the rangefinder is not very bright.  I tied a knot in a string at a set distance and tied it off on the tripod nut, that's how I shot these.

Ornament by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Third Night by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Nice shots - are those with the an Elmar?

As far as the RF spot goes, you can get a brand new replacement mirror for $10 from Japan. Easy to install and makes a huge difference.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2440 on: April 28, 2016, 04:01:50 AM »

I'll wind you up a 126 cartridge and we can see what that baby will do!! :P

I'll have to clean the dirt out of the film chamber first. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2441 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:37 AM »

As far as the RF spot goes, you can get a brand new replacement mirror for $10 from Japan. Easy to install and makes a huge difference.

Those were both taken with the Elmar lens.  Do you have a source where I can get the mirror?

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2442 on: April 28, 2016, 04:22:40 AM »

Those were both taken with the Elmar lens.  Do you have a source where I can get the mirror?

Search for ebay seller "nobbysparrow". The part is listed as a beam-splitter mirror. He's in Japan.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2443 on: April 29, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
So many buttons, sliders, and wheels! It will take me a while to figure it all out, I think.

Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 9xi by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2444 on: April 29, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »
I was looking for a wide angle lens for my Nikon F3 and thanks to a tip from Aksel I managed to secure this Nikkor Ai 20mm f3.5 for a 'nice price'.  :)
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #2445 on: May 01, 2016, 08:39:34 AM »
So many buttons, sliders, and wheels! It will take me a while to figure it all out, I think.
[...]

beautiful Minolta, Urban. What lenses do you have for it?

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2446 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »
The pictured 50mm f/1.7 and a zoom (that I will never use).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2447 on: May 01, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »
I just picked up 4 rolls of ISO 200 house brand (Black's) expired 2008 film that was stored at an unknown place... for a whopping bank breaking 25¢
Yes, that is ¼ dollar... insane ;D
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2448 on: May 01, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
I just picked up 4 rolls of ISO 200 house brand (Black's) expired 2008 film that was stored at an unknown place... for a whopping bank breaking 25¢
Yes, that is ¼ dollar... insane ;D

Also, those are those funny-looking dollars which are only worth a few cents anyways  :o

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2449 on: May 01, 2016, 09:33:04 PM »
Yeah, and it's especially hard to split them evenly to get perfect quarters...  ;D
Francois