Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842494 times)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2350 on: March 21, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »
Very nice 44, Peter. I prefer cranks too. That's why I'm so happily married.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2351 on: March 21, 2016, 07:29:45 PM »
Good choice, also like the ones in black and grey, rather than the bluish versions. And with auto winding, you can cut down 120 without having to match the backing numbers to that of 127. I want one of those or an LM.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:31:52 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2352 on: March 22, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »
So it was a lovely day and I was walking down the street when I passed the local RSPCA charity shop and spotted a bunch of cameras in the window. A gaggle of generic looking 35mm auto-everything compacts, a scale focus Agfa which I'm fairly certain was a 126 camera, and some late model Polaroid (a Joycam). Then I spotted this....

Agfa Billy by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

I think it's an Agfa Billy - it's an f8.8 'jgetar' anastigmat lens with two focus settings 'Fern' and 'Nah', 3 apertures (f8.8, f12.5 and f18), and shutter speeds 100, 50, 25 and B. Not tried it out yet, while it's a bit scruffy looking the bellows have no obvious problems.
Not sure if the '1947' stamped inside is part of the serial number, or the year of manufacture, because some info I found on teh interwebz told me it was a late 20s camera. If anyone's got one and knows more about it i'd love to know!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2353 on: March 22, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »
Doesn't look scruffy at all!
You should see some of the stuff I sometimes stumble on.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2354 on: March 22, 2016, 09:43:05 PM »
..........a Kaleinar 150mm f2.8 lens for my Pentacon Six and a Pilot Super SLR. By coincidence both items arrived by post today. It might be somewhat confusing that the Pilot Super is labeled Pilot 6, but according to Camera-wiki some of these appeared in 1938 before the labeling was changed in 1939. The Super has got a screw lens mount, mine came with a fast 75mm f2.9 Pilotar lens. It has also got a working light meter of the extinction type. This must be the tiniest 6x6 SLR ever made!
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2355 on: March 23, 2016, 01:45:32 AM »
Interesting Pilot 6. I have a 1938 model too, but it has the old style hood and the old style wire frame sports finder instead of the Super style hood.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2356 on: March 23, 2016, 09:17:49 PM »
Couple of recent additions, both rehabilitation projects I picked up cheap. First up is a Flexaret IIIa. It was pretty dodgy when I got it, but all the parts were there. I rebuilt the shutter (still having a bit of an issue with some of the slow speeds - needs a little adjustment), serviced the automatic winding mechanism and focus helicoid, replaced the mirror, and cleaned everything else. The body covering was junk to begin with, and I destroyed it opening up the camera, so I replaced it with a spiffy navy blue leatherette which is much nicer to handle than the original stuff.

Next is an Ilford Craftsman, a pretty basic box camera with two speeds (plus bulb), two aperture settings, and a focusing lens. The Bakelite was cracked in one spot, so I repaired that with metal-reinforced epoxy. The rest was just cleaning. It's sort of a (slightly) advanced Brownie Hawkeye, though the lens isn't as good as on the Kodak (at least the one on mine).

There's more, but I can only fix so many cameras at once.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2357 on: March 23, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
That metal epoxy should stay around longer than the actual bakelite, so that's good :)
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2358 on: March 23, 2016, 10:45:11 PM »
That metal epoxy should stay around longer than the actual bakelite, so that's good :)

Yeah, I tend to go straight for the nuclear option when it comes to repairs. I've wasted enough of my life screwing around with half-assed repairs to know better at this point (usually...).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2359 on: March 23, 2016, 11:46:12 PM »

Yeah, I tend to go straight for the nuclear option when it comes to repairs. I've wasted enough of my life screwing around with half-assed repairs to know better at this point (usually...).

I use JB Weld for bakelite repairs. It is a little loose to start with, but once it starts to harden it is like putty and shapes nicely.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #2360 on: March 24, 2016, 02:53:30 AM »
And I just picked up this little cutie 6x9 Kodak folder:

Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2361 on: March 24, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »

I use JB Weld for bakelite repairs. It is a little loose to start with, but once it starts to harden it is like putty and shapes nicely.
One thing I've begun to appreciate more and more for repairing a lot of stuff is plumber's epoxy. Easy to shape, not liquid and tough as nails.

BTW Leonore, nice folder :)
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2362 on: March 24, 2016, 07:26:38 PM »
Beautiful folder, Leonore.

There must be something in the air as I've just got my hands on a Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16 in near mint condition - including, leather case, original lens hood, Zeiss Ikophot meter (working) and instruction manuals for the camera and meter.  Apparently, it was something a friend of mine took in as a part exchange many years ago (he runs a camera shop).  He only discovered this kit recently when he was having a clearout in his loft.

I'm going to run a roll of Delta 400 through it this weekend.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2363 on: March 25, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
Late: That is certainly a looker - great addition! Nice that it's so complete too
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #2364 on: March 25, 2016, 09:41:12 AM »
My search for compacts with fine lenses is over (for the time being).

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2365 on: March 25, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
Very nice folder Paul! An early birthday present, eh? ;) I wouldn't mind owning one of them, but it's somewhat hard to find one in good condition (unless you buy from certo6 of course).

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #2366 on: March 25, 2016, 02:31:12 PM »
It's folder week on Filmwasters! ;) An Agfa, a Kodak, and one beee-yoo-tiful Ikonta!
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2367 on: March 25, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »
Very nice folder Paul! An early birthday present, eh? ;) I wouldn't mind owning one of them, but it's somewhat hard to find one in good condition (unless you buy from certo6 of course).

Yeah, 55 tomorrow. Where do the years go? Actually, I gave up counting a few years ago - it was Lara who reminded me that my birthday was imminent!
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2368 on: March 25, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
The sad thing is you won't be able to make a favorable typo ;)
But on the other hand, my grandpa was 39 for most of his life :)

Happy B'day Paul ;D
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2369 on: March 25, 2016, 10:38:46 PM »
Folder week, indeed.  Yesterday a Mihama Model II arrived, consequence of a little work exchange.  It's an Ikonta type 6x6 body with flaps and a separate viewfinder for 6x45.  A triplet 75/3.5, but they can be good sometimes. 

Also shown, a 30/3.5 Pentacon lens, a sort of upgrade from the older Meyer Lydith, some RPX400 that I got from Urban, and a bunch of Acros which I've been missing for a while.  All cheap or good trades. 

I actually got around to leaving the house yesterday and blew off a roll of Fuji 1600 and one of the RPX.  I'd forgotten what a hoot it can be to shoot waist level in 35mm.  Pulled both slightly and dev'd them in Rodinal.  Next to see how they scan ...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:06:28 PM by Sandeha Lynch »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2370 on: March 26, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »
All of you WLF'ers have me lusting after a Praktica now!! There is no contentment for a Filmwaster with G.A.S.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2371 on: March 26, 2016, 07:39:28 PM »
Well... there's a short and a long answer to this.
Short answer: No there isn't.
Long answer: It's not what you have but what you can do with it. And when you're stuck on the side of the road it's time to put more gas in it ;)

But if you want the ultimate WLF 35mm, you have to check out the one from Rollei.
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2372 on: March 26, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
Long answer: It's not what you have but what you can do with it. And when you're stuck on the side of the road it's time to put more gas in it ;)

But if you want the ultimate WLF 35mm, you have to check out the one from Rollei.

Somehow I can't see a near mint Rollei coming in at €10 plus postage.  So not really in the same class, innit.   ;)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2373 on: March 26, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »

Nice ones!

Ihave the Nikon  L 35 AF that I found in a thrift store a few years back.
It's quite a shooter and sharp.
Love the quickness of compacts.
Becky

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2374 on: March 26, 2016, 09:45:22 PM »

Somehow I can't see a near mint Rollei coming in at €10 plus postage.  So not really in the same class, innit.   ;)
Well, not really but the Rollei still is quite something :)

I must admit that 10 quid is not much, even less than the cost of a Lomo Konstruktor...
Francois

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #2375 on: March 27, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »

Nice ones!

Ihave the Nikon  L 35 AF that I found in a thrift store a few years back.
It's quite a shooter and sharp.
Love the quickness of compacts.
Becky

Thanks, Becky. After shooting a roll with both I prefer Pentax. Your Nikon must be equally good or better, judging by it's popularity.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2376 on: March 28, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »

WLF, 35mm and Rollei? what camera are we talking about here? :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2377 on: March 28, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
Rolleiflex SL2000
Check it out on camera wiki
Francois

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #2378 on: March 28, 2016, 07:01:52 PM »
Rolleiflex SL2000

For a minute -- until I read all the messages that this was a response to -- I was excited that you bought one of those crazy, darling little cameras Francois!!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #2379 on: March 28, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »
Rolleiflex SL2000
Ahhh the SL2000F. I had lusted after the 3003 for years but could never justify the price so when a 2000 came up for the right money I grabbed it. If I kept it for a month it was no longer. The single biggest disappoinment I have had in my camera life. It had everything I wanted in 35mm, it was a Rollei after all, but the one thing I did not want was the noise and the accompanied shaking. Maybe I had a bad one but for me it was unusable, never put a film other than a test roll through it. That autowinder was something else, you couldn't shoot it in public! Such a shame.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2380 on: March 28, 2016, 08:37:17 PM »
Rolleiflex SL2000

For a minute -- until I read all the messages that this was a response to -- I was excited that you bought one of those crazy, darling little cameras Francois!!
Well... sadly or happily... not yet.
I'd have to stumble on one at a very low price to take the jump.
Lens selection on those isn't all that great and they tend to be expensive as they are a Rollei.
Right now, I'm contempt with my regular Nikons, Minoltas and others.
The only Rollei I have is a Rolleimat AF... it was made by a subcontractor in Japan in the early 80's
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:45:19 PM by Francois »
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2381 on: March 28, 2016, 10:17:06 PM »
oooh, THAT rollei! I've quite a few opinions on it but either way I'd really like to try shooting a frame or two iwth one once :D
/jonas

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2382 on: March 29, 2016, 03:49:04 AM »
I re-purposed an old Kodak Safelight into a swag light and hung it over my work area in my camera room.  Don't worry, it can easily be turned back into a safelight, all I did did to it was remove the lens. 

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #2383 on: March 29, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
Neato!
Leonore

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #2384 on: March 29, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
... an old Kodak Retina Ia. No rangefinder, no lightmeter, but shutter works like a clock and bellows are light tight. A beautiful masterpiece of German engineering.

One of the first images taken with it

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2385 on: March 29, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »
OH! You guys are killing me with these cool folders! I'm feeling the need to go jump in the Bay!
Flickr
Blogger

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2386 on: March 29, 2016, 05:51:35 PM »
Aargh! That Retina looks really nice. The sight of that's not doing my bank balance any good!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2387 on: March 29, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »
The Retina folders are generally really nicely made (in Germany by Nagel, not riveted together sheet metal like most of the U.S.-made stuff). I recently sold my Retina I (010) only because I prefer my Voigtländer Vito and I was trying to force myself to cull duplicates. Fortunately - if you're buying - they tend to be priced comparatively low for what they are. The lenses are usually very good, the bellows seem to last, and the shutters are commonly available units, so no problem with repairs; about the only bits that seem to cause problems are the cocking racks on the lever-wind models.

Someday I'd like to get a Retina II (011) with the Kodak Ektar 47/2.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2388 on: March 30, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »

New55 PN film by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Two boxes of 5 sheet of New55 PN (I backed the Kickstarter). Now I really need to clean my Polaroid 545i and figure out the reciprocity failure of that film as I don't even own a lens for the Travelwide. ;D

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #2389 on: March 30, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »
Well this could turn out to be a new lease of life for my photography, or it could be an expensive folly; I've bought a tilt-shift adaptor for the Mamiya RZ67 along with a 75mm "short-barrel" lens. The idea is to make a start in using camera movements without going large-format. The 75mm lens can focus to infinity when used with the T/S adaptor, and therefore can be used for landscapes, whereas my 110mm lens won't focus to infinity when used with the adaptor but will be useful for still life or close-up flower images.

I sold a couple of guitars to go towards the cost but still have both kidneys.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2390 on: March 30, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
I'm glad you have not parted with your kidneys Kevin, an arm and a leg is usually enough. ;)  This contraption reminds me that I have several times been tempted to buy a Fuji GX680 which has a bellows up front. They are not terribly expensive either, but maybe that is a bad sign?
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #2391 on: March 30, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »
I'm glad you have not parted with your kidneys Kevin, an arm and a leg is usually enough. ;)  This contraption reminds me that I have several times been tempted to buy a Fuji GX680 which has a bellows up front. They are not terribly expensive either, but maybe that is a bad sign?

I have read good things about the Fuji GX680; if I didn't already have the RZ67 system that could be an attractive option

The expense is only relative, I paid about £680 for the adapter and lens. This is more than I originally paid for the RZ67 with WLF, prism, two lenses, and two film backs a few years ago, but by digital standards it's peanuts. T/S lenses for Canon or Nikon DSLRs cost about £1500.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2392 on: April 01, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »
I got this on our frenzied road trip up to Maine. It needed some significant reconditioning, but all appears well now (test roll is loaded). It still has the Autographic stylus and the tiny EK cable release (which is frayed and thus not terribly functional). The last patent date on it is 1921, so it's obviously later than that, but it's old enough to use 120 (meaning it predates 620 film, which came out in 1932) and have the US aperture scale. B&L Rapid Rectilinear in a (nominally) two-speed Kodak Ball Bearing shutter.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2393 on: April 01, 2016, 07:38:23 PM »
I got this on our frenzied road trip up to Maine. It needed some significant reconditioning, but all appears well now (test roll is loaded). It still has the Autographic stylus and the tiny EK cable release (which is frayed and thus not terribly functional). The last patent date on it is 1921, so it's obviously later than that, but it's old enough to use 120 (meaning it predates 620 film, which came out in 1932) and have the US aperture scale. B&L Rapid Rectilinear in a (nominally) two-speed Kodak Ball Bearing shutter.

I have that exact same camera but I haven't used it for years.  It's my avatar photo.  I think there was an issue with the lens not being perfectly square with the film plane but I did manage to get a few good photos with it.  I need to take it out again and give it another chance.  Does yours still have the Autographic stylus?  Those things always go missing, mine is gone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60348236@N07/albums/72157631861621266

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2394 on: April 01, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »
Yep, still got the stylus, along with the cable release, the manual, and the case.

I can see where the lens standard could be relatively easily bent, which of course would lead to it being out-of-square with the film plane. When I've run across that problem in other cameras, I use a plunge micrometer to check the standard and bend as necessary to get it right. Easier than it sounds.

I see your sample shots are squares - I'm assuming you cropped rather than masked in-camera. Was that because of the out-of-square issue?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2395 on: April 01, 2016, 09:30:03 PM »
Yep, still got the stylus, along with the cable release, the manual, and the case.

I can see where the lens standard could be relatively easily bent, which of course would lead to it being out-of-square with the film plane. When I've run across that problem in other cameras, I use a plunge micrometer to check the standard and bend as necessary to get it right. Easier than it sounds.

I see your sample shots are squares - I'm assuming you cropped rather than masked in-camera. Was that because of the out-of-square issue?

That's good that you have the cable release, it doesn't take a standard thread.  I found one eventually.  I thought about bending it but it felt like I was going to break the camera.  There was enough play that I could just hold it about where it needed to be and it worked ok. 

I'm not sure why the shots are square, I think the scans came back from the lab that way, I'll have to look at the negatives.  I wasn't developing film when I took those. 

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2396 on: April 01, 2016, 11:20:21 PM »
1947 Leica IIIc, "Japanese Summilux" Canon ltm 50/1.4 and a black "de luxe" Luigi strap + 100 rolls of AGFA Vista 200 from Pound land.
I should be good for a while  ;D (no where else then here would anyone understand me!)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2397 on: April 02, 2016, 02:35:12 AM »
The IIIc is lovely to use. I've heard good things about the 50/1.4, but I've never used one. Be sure to post some examples from that combo.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #2398 on: April 02, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
I got this on our frenzied road trip up to Maine.
[...]

some beautiful Kodak ads about the Autographic thing. I think there is a medium format camera, Fuji brand if I'm not wrong, that uses a similar but more actual system to record the negatives with the date or something similar.

I'm in love with old ads...

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2399 on: April 02, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »
The IIIc is lovely to use. I've heard good things about the 50/1.4, but I've never used one. Be sure to post some examples from that combo.

Indeed it is, first roll trough it last night. Must say it feels even better than the M4 in use, more fiddling but so pleasant in hand and they are dirt cheap compared to their younger siblings. It´s my third "Jap Lux" and I love them, they really represent value for money! Will post results as soon as I can get the Jobo up and running  :)
Prosopopoeia, with a camera