Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842426 times)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2300 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »
Oli Mju special edition - unused in box, sealed accessories etc. It arrived today - it's in a sort of mercury/metallic sheen coating to the (plastic) body. It looks really nice, but... every fingerprint shows. Grrrrr. Which is my Mr Olympus thoughtfully provided a polishing cloth with it, no doubt.

Hope to use it this weekend if the UK weather is OK, if not, it will no doubt drop into my hand luggage for a quick trip to Germany next week. But it's so pretty, it might sit in the display case once I've put the maiden roll of film through it, as I'm not exactly short of 135 P&S cameras.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2301 on: February 25, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »
I must admit that I have absolutely no idea. I haven't been following their development for years.

One thing's for sure, they should be getting pretty good by now... If not, I'd be a bit doubtful of their capacity as chemists!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #2302 on: February 25, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »
Hi Francois

Just to clarify - it's a mint 1991 edition. I've since found that their metallic-on-plastic finish is apparently known as 'silver black' in Oli circles.

The only problem I can find with it is that the still-sealed 1991 battery no longer worked. Fortunately, Zap Towers has a few batteries knocking around, so fitting a new CR123A made it spring into life.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2303 on: February 25, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »
The latest films do not need so much shading anymore, but I would not advice to expose them to strong sunlight the first half minute. I always put them straight into a pocket while they develop as I expect that the quality will be better if I do. Anyway I have installed the longer frog tongues on all my Polaroids. The temperature issue will always be there as the developer paste needs the temperature to work. It's not very easy to develop ordinary film in temperatures below 10C either.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2304 on: February 26, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »
Lot´s of goodies you guys have picked up here lately!

Since the TLR thing and the fact that Kai-san scored the minty Autocord I just had to.
2x Flexaret, seemingly in good condition but who knows ;D

So the pair arrived safely and to my amusement the kind "little old lady" seller forgot to mention that the film door on one of the cameras was bent so much it was impossible to close. Several lens elements was taken out, wrapped in toilet paper and placed back into the camera, not to mention that both the focus and shutter on the other camera was completely stuck, lenses had major fogging etc. 
Her reply when I confronted her was "you where the one who choose to take a risk". Looking forward to giving her a honest review  ;D 
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #2305 on: February 26, 2016, 11:27:16 AM »
That's terrible. And really bad luck. Beware little old ladies - they may turn out to be witches
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2306 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »
I don't believe "caveat emptor" applies with blind auctions - unless you're given fair warning that the items are in the condition you've described.  If the auction site management are worth their salt, they should enforce a refund.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2307 on: February 26, 2016, 01:25:21 PM »
Strangely, your story reminds me of the movie "The money pit" with a young Tom Hanks...
The movie has both the trusty old lady and an out of this world con job...
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2308 on: February 26, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »
...a couple of bent shutters.

I like a challenge.

Turns out removing the curtains from a Copal square shutter is quite easy. Not that many parts to deal with.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2309 on: February 26, 2016, 06:23:04 PM »
Peter, I would forget where that little spring on the left goes.   :o  I'm ok with easy repairs but something like this is way beyond what I would attempt, I hope you can fix it. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2310 on: February 26, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »

Peter, I would forget where that little spring on the left goes.   :o  I'm ok with easy repairs but something like this is way beyond what I would attempt, I hope you can fix it.

The S2 is already fixed and working. Not done the 139 yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2311 on: February 26, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
Impressed. Didn't know there where that many cameras with the Copal square shutter. My Canon EF also has one. Seems pretty solid. Will you be selling the S2 on then Peter?
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #2312 on: February 26, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
My wife loves me ...

.... I love her too ;-)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2313 on: February 26, 2016, 09:53:38 PM »
Impressed. Didn't know there where that many cameras with the Copal square shutter. My Canon EF also has one. Seems pretty solid. Will you be selling the S2 on then Peter?

Maybe. Will probably keep it for a while first. Would you be interested if I do?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2314 on: February 26, 2016, 10:20:49 PM »
So the pair arrived safely and to my amusement the kind "little old lady" seller forgot to mention that the film door on one of the cameras was bent so much it was impossible to close. Several lens elements was taken out, wrapped in toilet paper and placed back into the camera, not to mention that both the focus and shutter on the other camera was completely stuck, lenses had major fogging etc. 
Her reply when I confronted her was "you where the one who choose to take a risk". Looking forward to giving her a honest review  ;D
I don't know if you plan on repairing them? if so, I can offer a few tips as I had to repair mine when I got it.
The backs on the Flexarets are often damaged because people don't know that you need to press the button on the top side to open them. The hook is held by rivets. I was lucky that crazy glue worked on mine. If it ever fails again, I'll have to use epoxy. To straighten the back, you need a plank of wood with a hole in it. I had to remove the back to re-adjust it. Try and not use tools as they often make things worse. I just put my weight on the parts to bend them back into relative shape.
The focus often needs just a bit of machine oil applied with a syringe to make the focus work again.
The main taking lens is held by a collar that also functions as the infinity focus stop and is fully adjustable. While working on it, you will lose infinity and need to set it back by hand using a groundglass. I used collimation but then I didn't have the spanner needed to tighten it back, so it's off once more.
The shutters in mine is a Prontor-S and it's surprisingly easy to work with. The retaining ring also houses an f/stop number ring.
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2315 on: February 26, 2016, 11:44:36 PM »
My wife loves me ...

.... I love her too ;-)
With a Voigtlander 50F1. 5 asph I've got a black version wonderful lens

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2316 on: February 27, 2016, 03:23:37 PM »
Pilot 6.3 by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Another Pilot 6.  This time with the 6.3 lens. I was surprised to find out that this camera shoots 6x6 instead of 645, I'm guessing it was sent back to the factory and "upgraded" - I honestly prefer 645 so I don't know if I'll hold on to this one once I have it repaired. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #2317 on: February 27, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »

Maybe. Will probably keep it for a while first. Would you be interested if I do?

Head says I need another 135 SLR like a hole in same head, heart has always wanted a Contax. The RTS iI in the classifieds is tempting, but a fully manual Contax may prove even more tantalising. Feel no obligations, I'm in no hurry whatsoever, aforementioned EF is more than adequate for my needs.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2318 on: February 27, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »
Pilot 6.3 by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Another Pilot 6.  This time with the 6.3 lens. I was surprised to find out that this camera shoots 6x6 instead of 645, I'm guessing it was sent back to the factory and "upgraded" - I honestly prefer 645 so I don't know if I'll hold on to this one once I have it repaired. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Flippy, those cameras are so cool! I did a quick search, it seems there were two different models and one was 6x6. Now if you decide to sell it on, please please please let me buy it off you!  :P
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2319 on: February 28, 2016, 12:48:25 AM »
I'll post about it here if I need to part with it.  ;)

I'm also willing to replace mirrors if you see one on ebay (they pretty much all have bad mirrors).

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2320 on: February 28, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »

Head says I need another 135 SLR like a hole in same head, heart has always wanted a Contax. The RTS iI in the classifieds is tempting, but a fully manual Contax may prove even more tantalising. Feel no obligations, I'm in no hurry whatsoever, aforementioned EF is more than adequate for my needs.

OK. I'll let you know if and when I decide to move it on.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2321 on: February 28, 2016, 02:49:05 PM »
My Praktica arrived with a ding on the edge of the lens where the filter threads are.
It happened in shipping, since I saw a before photo and the camera was perfect.

I'm going to try fixing it and have had some good advice from Sandeha.

The camera is fully functional and I am already smitten with it.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2322 on: February 28, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »
My Praktica arrived with a ding on the edge of the lens where the filter threads are.

Such a shame, but I'm sure if you're careful you'll get it into shape.

I wasn't able to resist finding an FX2 body for my Biotar.  As we know, one shouldn't keep equipment that doesn't get used, and my Biotar was lacking a body.  (Well, that's my excuse.)   :)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2323 on: February 28, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
I'll post about it here if I need to part with it.  ;)

I'm also willing to replace mirrors if you see one on ebay (they pretty much all have bad mirrors).

Out of two Pilot 6 on ebay, two are broken. :(  But I have seen a couple of nice Pilot Super. :P
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #2324 on: February 29, 2016, 01:16:17 AM »

Woot!

(Well, not about the ding.)
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2325 on: February 29, 2016, 04:58:26 AM »
Flippy, those cameras are so cool! I did a quick search, it seems there were two different models and one was 6x6. Now if you decide to sell it on, please please please let me buy it off you!  :P

At least let us have a bidding war! :)

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2326 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
I don't know if you plan on repairing them? if so, I can offer a few tips as I had to repair mine when I got it.
The backs on the Flexarets are often damaged because people don't know that you need to press the button on the top side to open them. The hook is held by rivets. I was lucky that crazy glue worked on mine. If it ever fails again, I'll have to use epoxy. To straighten the back, you need a plank of wood with a hole in it. I had to remove the back to re-adjust it. Try and not use tools as they often make things worse. I just put my weight on the parts to bend them back into relative shape.
The focus often needs just a bit of machine oil applied with a syringe to make the focus work again.
The main taking lens is held by a collar that also functions as the infinity focus stop and is fully adjustable. While working on it, you will lose infinity and need to set it back by hand using a groundglass. I used collimation but then I didn't have the spanner needed to tighten it back, so it's off once more.
The shutters in mine is a Prontor-S and it's surprisingly easy to work with. The retaining ring also houses an f/stop number ring.

Thanks for the advice Francois! I might just try to repair it at some point (when I have the time/inspiration etc.) 
It´s a good challenge in therms of patines and accuracy, two things I don´t have to much of =) 

A
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2327 on: February 29, 2016, 02:12:12 PM »
If you ever decide to give it a go, keep a digicam with a good macro mode next to you. And take plenty of pictures as you go.
Since these cameras don't have any interlock with the film advance, you might be able to do a hybrid of the two that actually works.
Francois

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #2328 on: March 04, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »
10 packs FP100C ordered.

Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2329 on: March 04, 2016, 11:02:10 PM »
10 packs FP100C ordered.

Same with me, it's already shipped.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2330 on: March 10, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
A bunch of FP-100C arrived, purchased at the normal price before it all went sky-high. Probably the last batch I'll ever buy unless the prices come down to a reasonable level again.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2331 on: March 10, 2016, 03:07:36 PM »
I honestly thought I'd sworn off M42, particularly after selling the Bessaflex.  But it sometimes only takes a hint of camera envy to kick over the old and renew an acquaintance. 

Here's my €10 Praktica F.X2, with a couple of older lenses that I haven't used much in a while: my fave Orestor portrait 100, and the Biotar 58.  In fact, since this lens is the older pre-set with a bulbous butt it only worked on the older FX bodies that didn't have the aperture kicker, but the kicker requires only micro-surgery to cleanly remove it.  And I don't need the pin kicker anyway as the auto aperture on the Orestor had long died and been removed, and the other little lens here is just a meniscus rear element from a something or other (focal length about 60mm) moulded into the helical of an ex-zoom and mounted on a defunct M42 lens back with an f.16 black card aperture.

And with several rolls of Rollei 400 thanks to Jojonas, I'm ready for anything, possibly.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #2332 on: March 10, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »
25 packs fuji100c

also probably the last big batch I'll ever buy too at current prices, i was lucky to get in when it was still $10.99...

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2333 on: March 10, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »
I honestly thought I'd sworn off M42, particularly after selling the Bessaflex.  But it sometimes only takes a hint of camera envy to kick over the old and renew an acquaintance. 

Here's my €10 Praktica F.X2, with a couple of older lenses that I haven't used much in a while: my fave Orestor portrait 100, and the Biotar 58.  In fact, since this lens is the older pre-set with a bulbous butt it only worked on the older FX bodies that didn't have the aperture kicker, but the kicker requires only micro-surgery to cleanly remove it.  And I don't need the pin kicker anyway as the auto aperture on the Orestor had long died and been removed, and the other little lens here is just a meniscus rear element from a something or other (focal length about 60mm) moulded into the helical of an ex-zoom and mounted on a defunct M42 lens back with an f.16 black card aperture.

That's a nice looking family.   

And with several rolls of Rollei 400 thanks to Jojonas, I'm ready for anything, possibly.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2334 on: March 10, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »
mmm... M42...
Maybe I should give my best M42 body a try? I've never used M42 for anything before...
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2335 on: March 11, 2016, 10:11:40 PM »
In fact, since this lens is the older pre-set with a bulbous butt it only worked on the older FX bodies that didn't have the aperture kicker, but the kicker requires only micro-surgery to cleanly remove it. 

The aperture plunger in the those cameras is designed to be disabled simply by sliding a part of it over - no need to remove anything at all.

I bought a new mirror for my newish Pilot 6:
mirror replacement by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Interestingly the back of the old mirror was stamped with a date: 15. 8. 36. - nice to know how old it is!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2336 on: March 11, 2016, 10:26:05 PM »
In fact, since this lens is the older pre-set with a bulbous butt it only worked on the older FX bodies that didn't have the aperture kicker, but the kicker requires only micro-surgery to cleanly remove it. 

The aperture plunger in the those cameras is designed to be disabled simply by sliding a part of it over - no need to remove anything at all.

Interestingly the back of the old mirror was stamped with a date: 15. 8. 36. - nice to know how old it is!

Thanks, Flippy.  Yes, it just disengages - I really should have seen that !! 

I've also just found the M42/Tmount fitting for my baseball bat 500/8, so I might just give that a spin as well.

When I replaced the mirror on my Rolleiflex 621 I found the date of 1934 written on the back.  Which I thought interesting as the lens numbers were from 1932.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:28:51 PM by Sandeha Lynch »

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #2337 on: March 14, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
On Saturday I finally became the owner of a 4x5 camera. I have been toying with the idea of getting one for a while, and this was actually in my local shop.

Sinar F1

Kit includes:

Schneider Angulon Lens
Soft Bellows
Folding bellows
Front bellows hood
3 double dark slides
Manfrotto 144B Tripod
Cable release

£500

I still need a few other bits (film, rear hood cloth, case and darkroom bag), so I am on the lookout.
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #2338 on: March 14, 2016, 12:29:37 PM »
awesome... I have a polaroid 545 back for sale, drop me a message if interested :-)

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #2339 on: March 14, 2016, 12:38:27 PM »
Chalky, if New55 ever start making colour film, definitely.
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2340 on: March 14, 2016, 01:12:32 PM »
That's quite nice.
Sinar with Schneider lens... Can't be beat.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2341 on: March 18, 2016, 08:29:39 PM »
I just picked up this Lentar 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens at an estate sale for $15 along with a few other trinkets.  It's a "T" mount so I can fit it on several different cameras, that little thing behind it is my OM-1. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2342 on: March 18, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
Does anyone know what these are, they were in a bag of camera stuff I bought with the above lens.  They are "T" mount and the adapter is m42 to T mount.  They don't seem to have anything to do with the mirror lens.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2343 on: March 18, 2016, 09:40:06 PM »
They look kind of like telescope adapters.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2344 on: March 18, 2016, 09:52:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are telescope adapters. These just fit over the tube instead of the ocular.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2345 on: March 19, 2016, 01:54:59 AM »
That's probably what it is, the one with the beveled end has a hole for a set screw to attach it to something. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2346 on: March 20, 2016, 05:01:31 PM »
Got some more microfilm on a good deal and another Watson daylight loader at a local thrift store. It had a little bit of Kodalith Ortho in it, so we'll see if it will make any images or if it is just good for the bin.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2347 on: March 20, 2016, 08:53:22 PM »
Now that is pretty sweet.
Hope you have a camera that doesn't need sprockets!
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2348 on: March 20, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »
Now that is pretty sweet.
Hope you have a camera that doesn't need sprockets!
I have 2 instamatics just waiting to be fed! :) They don't need "sprockets" per se, but I do have to perforate the holes for the frame spacer to catch. Not a big deal. Just one more fun step in the process (not the 'most' fun step, but you know what I'm saying). BTW, the film is still usable.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:15:08 PM by jharr »
Flickr
Blogger

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2349 on: March 20, 2016, 09:20:34 PM »
Been after one of these for a while. Had to be the crank version though.