Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842462 times)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #1650 on: May 08, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »
Yes, if find it very odd to. I always feel bad when a camera stays in my cupboard for months at a time. I'd rather sell the ones I don't regularly use so that hopefully someone will use them.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1651 on: May 09, 2015, 09:17:47 PM »
My God! I must be on a Minolta roll or something!
I just picked-up yet another Minolta SLR. This one's an X-370 that had a problem. Got it for 5$ again and managed to fix it in the same afternoon I got it...
This one had the mirror stuck in the up position. I replaced the batteries but that didn't fix it. I discovered that these often have faulty capacitors. So I unscrewed the baseplate to see but the cap was perfectly fine... Mmmm... I had started removing another plate when I noticed that there was some sort of ratchet hooked-up to the drive spindle. So I took my little screwdriver to hold the ratchet back and slowly proceeded to wind the camera. It turned and I heard a clank sound; it was the mirror slapping back open. I put batteries back in and it works.

Now, I need to take the lens apart to fix a problem with it not focusing at infinity. I guess there must be some crud on the helicoid's end stops that prevent it from focusing properly...

Here it is properly cleaned.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #1652 on: May 10, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
The Whale. Given to me by a lovely lady whose daughter performed with my son in their high school spring musical production. Said it had been sitting in a drawer and she wanted it to be used by someone who would appreciate it. The film expired in 3/09, so the color is shifted, but the gel packs are still fresh enough to cover the entire image.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1653 on: May 11, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
I don't remember ever seeing those around here!
Sure looks like a cartoon whale...
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #1654 on: May 11, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
I got a Samoca 35II. It is a cute little camera and very satisfying to use. But I found that it won't take modern 135 cannisters without a little work. I'll post about it when I finish my test roll.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1655 on: May 12, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
This beautiful Minolta SR-1s arrived today. The roll of Agfa Precisa CT is already loaded!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1656 on: May 12, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
Nice!
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one getting old Minolta stuff :)
I find these oddly easy to fix too. Minolta had the smarts to make many of the things you need access to accessible through the bottom plate. On my SRT 100 I had a problem of the mirror not always returning after the shutter gas fired. It turns out a small rotating gear with a stop block on its side needed half a drop of oil. Just popped the bottom, diagnosed the problem and fixed it without any problem. I just love it when things are this simple.
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1657 on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »
I have a soft spot for Minolta camera, Francois. Probably because my first camera was a X-300. Now I own a X-500 (from imagesfrugales) and this SR-1s. And next weekend I'll check out my dad's Minolta gear (X-300, X-500, X-700, various lenses). Then I'm only missing an SRT and an XM. ;)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1658 on: May 12, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »
I have a soft spot for Minolta camera, Francois. Probably because my first camera was a X-300. Now I own a X-500 (from imagesfrugales) and this SR-1s. And next weekend I'll check out my dad's Minolta gear (X-300, X-500, X-700, various lenses). Then I'm only missing an SRT and an XM. ;)

You want an SR-T101? I have two of them ... one is pretty much in good condition except I think the slower shutter speeds are a little off, and occasionally the mirror gets locked up until you advance the film (so it's not an issue really unless you want to do a double exposure). The other is in slightly rougher condition, but *seems* to work fine (I haven't tested it thoroughly and have not put a battery in to test the meter).

I will be in Germany later this month, but probably won't have time to post it until I get to Amsterdam or London. Or you could come and see me in Berlin or Frankfurt? ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:35:16 PM by Indofunk »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1659 on: May 12, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
Thanks for the offer Satish, but I think I'll refrain from buying any more cameras for now. I need to run a few rolls through the ones I already have first. And it's not like I really need another SR mount camera.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1660 on: May 12, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
To be clear, I don't want to sell you anything, I was just going to give you one as long as the postage is reasonable. Or perhaps if you have a couple of rolls of that Agfa Precisa we could trade?

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1661 on: May 12, 2015, 02:54:46 PM »
To be honest, I'm not a fan of cameras that work most of the time anymore. If I ever get an SRT-101 it has to work 100% of the time.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1662 on: May 12, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
Well that seals it! Neither of mine fit that bill! :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1663 on: May 12, 2015, 09:29:06 PM »
The mirror problem on the SRT is dead easy to fix 99% of the time.
Here's the how to that I used http://www.willegal.net/photo/srt/srt-repairs.htm
All I used was the hypodermic needle from an inkjet refill kit, some sewing machine oil and a small phillips head screwdriver...
Takes about 5 minutes to fix. It uses about half a drop of oil. Any more would be too much.

The shutters closes but the mirror stays up until you wind again, this oil drop fixes that issue.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1664 on: May 12, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »
The mirror problem on the SRT is dead easy to fix 99% of the time.
Here's the how to that I used http://www.willegal.net/photo/srt/srt-repairs.htm
All I used was the hypodermic needle from an inkjet refill kit, some sewing machine oil and a small phillips head screwdriver...
Takes about 5 minutes to fix. It uses about half a drop of oil. Any more would be too much.

The shutters closes but the mirror stays up until you wind again, this oil drop fixes that issue.

Oh, that's definitely the problem. But since I advance the film right after taking a picture, it almost isn't worth the trouble to even pop open the bottom plate? I see this bug as an "undocumented feature" :D

Basically, it needs a full CLA at some point, and since I have a professionally-CLA'd SR-T102, I really have no reason to even take the 101 out of the drawer :D

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1665 on: May 13, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »
Ah, so more or less the same fix as the squeaking shutter of the Canon AE-1. Even I can do that. ;) Hm ...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1666 on: May 13, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
Believe me, it's an easy fix. And this comes from a guy who totaled a lomo cosmic 35 and a yashica 50mm f/2 lens...
Francois

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #1667 on: May 13, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »
Ah, so more or less the same fix as the squeaking shutter of the Canon AE-1. Even I can do that. ;) Hm ...

There's a fix for that? My AE-1 Program works great but sounds like the alternator belt is loose.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #1668 on: May 13, 2015, 04:18:09 PM »

There's a fix for that? My AE-1 Program works great but sounds like the alternator belt is loose.

The Canon A-series fix is pretty easy, but I guess it depends on your mechanical ability. It took me a few times and way too much oil (I use Tri-Flow because I had it already and it smells good) to figure out where to actually put the drop (or less) of oil.

I had a squealing shutter on my recently-acquired A35 rangefinder and it was much easier to quiet.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #1669 on: May 13, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
I fixed an A1 with a long syringe and some light oil

Not hard to remove the bottom plate, found a guide online that was actually accurate

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #1670 on: May 13, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »
Not hard to remove the bottom plate, found a guide online that was actually accurate

The second part of that sentence is key. There's a lot of information out there, but not a lot of it is accurate - very vague. You do need a long straw in order to access it from the bottom plate and it's fairly cramped. It's not much better from the more common top plate removal method (which is much more involved.)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1671 on: May 13, 2015, 09:04:34 PM »
I'm starting to sometimes wonder why manufacturers never bothered to just put a thin top on the cameras that simply hold the winder, speed and shutter button and make all the mechanicals on the bottom of the camera?
Francois

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #1672 on: May 13, 2015, 10:13:47 PM »
I'm starting to sometimes wonder why manufacturers never bothered to just ......
Probably because no engineer ever figured that their cameras will be used and be saught after 40 or 50 years later. And above all they didn't figure, that humble hobbyists try to rapair their precision-mechanics-wonders. Later, the producers didn't want that their products would survive their engineers for decades! Would be bad for the actual sales. Now every "proper" built product has a built-in predetermined breaking point.

E.g. every Sony A100 (like mine) will die after a short predetermined time because of a broken fire button, a rediculously cents-cheap and tiny part, and the exchange - not repair! - will cost you 120 Eur. A 50 years old CZJ prime-lens will be repaired for 60 Eur by a 60 years old repair-man. So we shouldn't wine about a 40 years old A1 that can be repaired with a little drop of oil. And if it should be totally kaputt it was a great tool for decades. We should wine about the habbits of todays producers and consumers of cams, mobiles, comps and all imaginable gear which poisons the world and above all many innocent children who shall "recycle" this shitty crap.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1673 on: May 13, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
I know, if it was me, every piece of gear should be able to survive a drop test on concrete... but then again it would be really bad economically.

So far I've fixed successfully three dropped minoltas... First was a HiMatic with a seriously bent filter ring that prevented the lens from turning. Second was an AF-C that had skipped a notch in the winding mechanism. Third was this X370 that also had skipped a notch on the advance.
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #1674 on: May 13, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »
I've been pondering a waterproof camera, so I accidentally purchased a Nikonos V. Impatiently awaiting its arrival.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1675 on: May 14, 2015, 01:08:12 AM »
"accidentally" :D

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #1676 on: May 14, 2015, 01:26:35 AM »
My finger slipped over the buy it now button.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #1677 on: May 14, 2015, 06:43:53 PM »
I actually very nearly bought a very expensive camera on ebay, in my sleep. Luck has it that I had not pressed the "commit to purchase" button. The hazards of browsing on an iPad late at night, in bed.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1678 on: May 15, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »
I found that the viewfinder on the Konica Pearl was a bit smallish, especially since I wear glasses. So I started looking for an external viewfinder, but soon realised that all such finders have a landscape orientation. But I didn't want to give up, so I spotted a Nikon Varifocal finder that looked suitable for a modification project. I unscrewed the ring that holds the front lens and then removed the lens plus the outer mask plus one more lens and the inner mask. After a bit of cleaning I put everything back in place, but with the masks rotated 90 deg. So now I have a finder with the correct orientation for the Pearl, it even has parallax adjustment.  8)
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1679 on: May 15, 2015, 08:55:17 PM »
I have one of those finders. It is quite nice. It probably costs more than the camera !
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1680 on: May 15, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
It probably costs more than the camera !
I wouldn't say it was dirt cheap, but I paid considerably more for the camera. Maybe the 'engraving' with a Japanese sign on the side contributed to a lower price. I have no idea what it means, maybe 'No. 1' ?
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1681 on: May 15, 2015, 10:08:19 PM »
My dad let me rummage through his Minolta camera stuff. I was really strong and only took the 50mm f/1.7. Maybe I'll go back for the X-500 or the X-700 some day. But it's getting a bit excessive. ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1682 on: May 15, 2015, 10:33:08 PM »
I don't know if I can call it being excessive when it comes to quality gear.
Lets do a comparison: somebody offers you a mint original mini cooper, would you say "Bah! I already got a car and it gets me from point A to point B" ?
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1683 on: May 15, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »
once you dip your toe in the minolta pool... B-)
/jonas

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1684 on: May 15, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »
You know what? I probably would Francois. ;)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1685 on: May 16, 2015, 06:32:18 AM »
I think I'm past dipping my toe in. ;) I'm currently investigating 28mm lenses even though I own the 24-35mm zoom.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1686 on: May 16, 2015, 07:21:20 AM »
My dad let me rummage through his Minolta camera stuff. I was really strong and only took the 50mm f/1.7. Maybe I'll go back for the X-500 or the X-700 some day. But it's getting a bit excessive. ;)
Excessive? Well, depends on how you look at it. I donated the Oscilloscope camera to a fellow I know by reputation. Got shown round the two full rooms of cabinets containing over 800 cameras, movie cameras, projectors etc. And it for some peculiar reason didn't seem excessive.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1687 on: May 18, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1688 on: May 18, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
No way! a real Leica lens on a real Leica? ;)
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1689 on: May 18, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »

Who'da thunk?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #1690 on: May 22, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
I went to my first ever live auction yesterday. Missed out on few things but did come away with a job lot of (mainly) Contax/Yashica stuff for a bargain £53. Including:

A near mint Contax 139
A near mint Yashica ML 28mm f/2.8
A pretty decent Olympus OM-10 with 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko S
A non-working Yashica 108 (shutter screwed but maybe good for some spares)
An interesting Enna Munchen 85-205 zoom in Alpa fit (problem with the zoom but probably fixable)
And a bunch of other lenses and bits - mostly good.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:27:50 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #1691 on: May 22, 2015, 04:18:24 PM »

Who'da thunk?

That wouldn't happen to have some crazy scratched out name on the back would it? I had a seller trying to tempt me with a sharkskin IIIc a couple months ago.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1692 on: May 22, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »

Who'da thunk?

That wouldn't happen to have some crazy scratched out name on the back would it? I had a seller trying to tempt me with a sharkskin IIIc a couple months ago.

Nope, barely a mark on it anywhere.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #1693 on: May 22, 2015, 08:23:07 PM »
I can't believe nobody has done this...

An ONDU pinhole II. Well, pledged it, anyway. 5x4. Sigh - I want it NOW!
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

mindori

• 35mm
« Reply #1694 on: May 26, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
Made my first real boot sale find yesterday: a black Pentax MX with 50mm 1.7 lens for £8!

It's a kind of a scruffbag, with lots of dirt and a bit of corrosion on the body, but appears to work perfectly.  I even got the light meter going again after some gentle persuasion and fresh batteries.  It even came with a period (i.e. rusty) strap and the original (i.e. badly perished) case.

Pentax MX Black by Kenny Carwash, on Flickr

There was a very clean Ricoh FF-3 that I almost bought as well, but my wife vetoed it.  Although they're decent little compacts, they command very little money these days because superior alternatives can be had so cheaply.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:22:59 AM by mindori »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1695 on: May 26, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
Nice find.
A good fresh neckstrap and a good clean and it will be good just as new.
I find that using one of those magic eraser cleaning sponges a good way to get out the dirt that's in the details like the leatherette.
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #1696 on: May 26, 2015, 01:56:39 PM »
A darkroom timer, ex-Ministry of Defence, from FleaBay for £4.70

And a hand-held (or camera mounted off-axis) continuous light. Great for B&W.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1697 on: May 30, 2015, 11:32:45 PM »
Hollywood Reflex Sportsman 620 TLR.  This thing has two f-stops, f/11 and f/16 and two shutter speeds, timed and 1/50, so the possibilities are endless.  The 80mm Achromat taking lens has a scale focus but the viewing lens is fixed.  I also got a Rolleiflex Tropical case, for a Rolleiflex, not the Hollywood Sportsman.

Hollywood Reflex Sportsman by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Re: RE: I just picked up...
« Reply #1698 on: May 31, 2015, 03:04:15 AM »
Nuffink. Not even a cold  Great thread though :-)

Ed! Boot sales in foreign lands is the stuff I dream about!

I picked up a battered Nikkormat for $10 but the real find is one to gloat over Bryan, who is addicted to cheap tripods. Behold the Bilora Profilo for $2, yet stout enough for my pocket Crown Graphic. :D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: RE: I just picked up...
« Reply #1699 on: May 31, 2015, 11:23:30 PM »
I picked up a battered Nikkormat for $10 but the real find is one to gloat over Bryan, who is addicted to cheap tripods. Behold the Bilora Profilo for $2, yet stout enough for my pocket Crown Graphic. :D

I'm packing one of my cheap tripods for a trip right now, and I don't care if it doesn't make it back.  That looks like a nice one for $2 Jack.