Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842501 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #1450 on: February 09, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
Nice grab Fluminian. I have considered the Kiev 60 so many times, but I keep holding out for the Pentacon Six. I'll look forward to seeing your photos. Maybe redscale some 120 and shoot it for Red Feb!

I haven't got a redscale, but TMY expired in 2004 will do:

nice, fluminian! gotta dig close ups of palms~

this bronica c 7.5cm nikkor fujifilm superia x-tra 400 (expired)
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #1451 on: February 09, 2015, 05:25:02 PM »
I picked up 20 rolls of Tri-X the other week. half 35 half 120. mmmmmm fresh film.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1452 on: February 09, 2015, 06:14:05 PM »
I picked up 20 rolls of Tri-X the other week. half 35 half 120. mmmmmm fresh film.
btw, "SLVR"? the first thing to spring to mind for me is slaver but I guess that ain't right.
/jonas

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1453 on: February 09, 2015, 07:37:56 PM »
btw, "SLVR"? the first thing to spring to mind for me is slaver but I guess that ain't right.

One of my first mobile phones was a Motorola SLVR (remember those)?

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #1454 on: February 09, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »
Silver, slaver, Tomato, tobacco...

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1455 on: February 10, 2015, 04:08:02 AM »
Minolta 110 Zoom SLR, I don't know why I bought this, I saw it and my GAS got the better of me.  I have a bunch of expired 110 Kodak Gold so I will waste some film in it just for fun.

Minolta 110 Zoom SLR by bac1967, on Flickr

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1456 on: February 10, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
okay, scuze me for asking. I was just curious :P
/jonas

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #1457 on: February 10, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »
okay, scuze me for asking. I was just curious :P
haha, that reminds me of a forum I was on once and someone posted "YMMV" and someone else asked what it meant. All they could think of for those letters was "You Make Me Vomit". Now whenever I see YMMV, I instantly think "You Make Me Vomit" and have a good chuckle. I kind of figured SLVR was silver, but could be solver, or sliver or slaver, though in the context of a film photography forum, you should probably stick with Silver.  :D
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1458 on: February 10, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
makes sense, but I'll think again before writing someone on the nose ;) or did I get that saying backwards? whatever :D
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #1459 on: February 10, 2015, 05:11:20 PM »
I just need a name that's edgy and trendy. Something with mystery that you won't get unless you're in the club. Something that has some controversy. You know.  8)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1460 on: February 10, 2015, 05:42:01 PM »
I also for some reason connect it with SLVR SRFR. That superhero never dropped his vowels, did he? Then why do I think of it?  ???

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1461 on: February 10, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »
now we're talking ;D
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1462 on: February 10, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »
I think the Motorola SLVR stood for sliver... simply because it was very thin at the time. They also made the RAZR which was razor thin.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1463 on: February 10, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »
I think the Motorola SLVR stood for sliver... simply because it was very thin at the time. They also made the RAZR which was razor thin.
Too bad they didn't make a WFR that was "only wafer thin".  :P
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1464 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
I like my phones WFFL thin ;D
with a bit of SRP on top, maple preferred ;)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1465 on: February 11, 2015, 01:53:38 PM »
I kinda miss the BRK ;)
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #1466 on: February 14, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
Thanks Diane. It's in a 49c frame at the moment.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #1467 on: February 14, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »
Oooooh, nice. That's what we're in it for!
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1468 on: February 14, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »
It's a silly fun gift for a friend, as I apparently "haunt them in their dreams"
tk

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1469 on: February 18, 2015, 09:25:55 PM »
Industar 61 L/D 55mm f/2,8 with a plastic push-on hood, m39 mount.  A faster lens for my Zorki's.  Just arrived from a seller in Armenia in less than 3 weeks!

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1470 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:52 PM »
Thanks 02Pilot! already started adding labels...
tk

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1471 on: February 18, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
Thanks 02Pilot! already started adding labels...
ah, so you're the one who took care of it? I'll be looking forward to seeing some results :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1472 on: February 18, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »
Another Labeling fan! Yeah!
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1473 on: February 19, 2015, 01:03:45 AM »
I'll be looking forward to seeing some results :)
fairly sure it does, but lets hope it works (as well as a holga should), as it was lost in the post a bit, and the conditioning of the packaging was not too inspiring.
tk

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1474 on: February 19, 2015, 02:17:23 AM »
Hopefully the one moving part was unaffected by the rough ride. FWIW, when I got it (new) it was not as well-protected (I added the bubble wrap) and basically rattling around in a giant box and it worked just fine, so I'm guessing it's fairly robust. It's also a lot more precisely built than the original models; I saw no evidence of light leaks at all.

This is one I think I posted here before:

Let me know if there's a problem with it and we'll work something out.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #1475 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:34 AM »
Well, I have not picked it up yet, but I've managed to get myself an etching press...

... which means, of course...

... photogravures.

Lot of work ahead.. Looking forward to it very much.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1476 on: February 19, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »
It's also a lot more precisely built than the original models; I saw no evidence of light leaks at all.

More preisely built? A Holga?
Isn't that a contradiction? ;)

Andrej: nice find. I just hope it's a nice small one. I know a place where they have the big models that weigh a ton and a half. They're nice but I don't see myself moving one more than an inch! Actually, they're so heavy I can put all my weight on them and they don't move at all!
Francois

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #1477 on: February 19, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »
Thanks, Francois, it is a small-ish table top model. I am not one for huge prints and I would not have the space for those mammoth sized beasts..
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1478 on: February 19, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »
I FINALLY picked up my Yashica Lynx 14 from the local repair shop. He'd been sitting on it since January 8(!!) because he said he didn't have the parts, then the technician was out of town, and he probably straight up forgot about it for weeks on end. Anyways, threw a roll of the Arista Tri-X rebrand and shot it 400. It came out about a stop overexposed, so I did a quick 'n' dirty comparison to my Canonet's meter in a few different lighting situations and it predictably read about a stop too slow. So I brought it back to the shop to get calibrated, but the tech said that there's no resistor to calibrate the meter, and that I'd need to replace the light cell itself, which he said there's no way in hell he's going to be able to source. So his solution was to just meter a stop faster. Which I suppose is fine unless I want to shoot at 800. I suppose I could also pretend that the exposure line is slightly lower than it actually is. In any case, it's something extra to remember. Maybe I'll slap a label on it like tk & Francois :)

But apart from that, the exposure meter is pretty neat ... since it's on top, you adjust shutter speed and aperture while looking down at the camera = nobody knows what I'm doing, so after getting the right exposure, I can just put the camera to my eye, focus real quick, and hey I just took your picture! Or just keep it at waist level and use the distance meter. Oh, the lens is super soft, that's not really my style, but someone else who was in the shop at the time said it works great for portraits. I'll shoot some more with it (at the proper ASA) and figure out how best to use it for my (nefarious?) purposes :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1479 on: February 19, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »
At least you can always use a handheld meter with it.
Or just one of those expocalc devices.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1480 on: February 19, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »
Yup, aint nothin' wrong with full manual :)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1481 on: February 19, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »
Oh, the lens is super soft, that's not really my style, but someone else who was in the shop at the time said it works great for portraits.

Is it soft at all apertures or just wide open? I would expect f/8 to be sharper.
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1482 on: February 19, 2015, 09:07:51 PM »
Oh, the lens is super soft, that's not really my style, but someone else who was in the shop at the time said it works great for portraits.

Is it soft at all apertures or just wide open? I would expect f/8 to be sharper.

Nope, all the shots on the roll were soft, and I was shooting outdoors in bright sunlight, generally at least at f/5.6

http://www.indofunkstudios.com/image.php?dir=images/yashica_lynx/2015_02_19_arista

(2 "original" non-LR-processed shots straight off scanner to demonstrate overexposure & softness. The processed ones have a good deal of sharpening and contrast added.)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:09:35 PM by Indofunk »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1483 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:19 PM »
I FINALLY picked up my Yashica Lynx 14 from the local repair shop. He'd been sitting on it since January 8(!!) because he said he didn't have the parts, then the technician was out of town, and he probably straight up forgot about it for weeks on end. Anyways, threw a roll of the Arista Tri-X rebrand and shot it 400. It came out about a stop overexposed, so I did a quick 'n' dirty comparison to my Canonet's meter in a few different lighting situations and it predictably read about a stop too slow. So I brought it back to the shop to get calibrated, but the tech said that there's no resistor to calibrate the meter, and that I'd need to replace the light cell itself, which he said there's no way in hell he's going to be able to source. So his solution was to just meter a stop faster. Which I suppose is fine unless I want to shoot at 800. I suppose I could also pretend that the exposure line is slightly lower than it actually is. In any case, it's something extra to remember. Maybe I'll slap a label on it like tk & Francois :)

But apart from that, the exposure meter is pretty neat ... since it's on top, you adjust shutter speed and aperture while looking down at the camera = nobody knows what I'm doing, so after getting the right exposure, I can just put the camera to my eye, focus real quick, and hey I just took your picture! Or just keep it at waist level and use the distance meter. Oh, the lens is super soft, that's not really my style, but someone else who was in the shop at the time said it works great for portraits. I'll shoot some more with it (at the proper ASA) and figure out how best to use it for my (nefarious?) purposes :)

Selenium cells are all getting old at this point - the last ones probably left the factory in the mid-1960s. I'm not sure how the Lynx is set up, but most selenium meters I've encountered simply use a movable shade to cover a variable portion of the cell, adjusted by the dial or knob. Often the cell itself is mounted with slotted holes so that it could be calibrated at the factory; if so, you can recalibrate it, though it's a trial-and-error process.

I'm surprised the lens is soft - Yashica lenses are usually quite sharp edge-to-edge. Did you stop it down or were you wide open (or close to it)?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1484 on: February 19, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »
Yes! There are slots, I can see them right through the selenium cell's window. So this tech guy was just too lazy to properly calibrate it? I wasn't planning on going back to this particular shop again anyways...  :-\

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1485 on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »
Yes! There are slots, I can see them right through the selenium cell's window. So this tech guy was just too lazy to properly calibrate it? I wasn't planning on going back to this particular shop again anyways...  :-\

Probably. Only old geezers (like me) are damn fools enough to mess around with these horse-and-buggy cameras....

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1486 on: February 19, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »
The funny thing is that the shop owner is like 90 years old, and Eastern European, both of which led me to conclude that he would be an awesome repair guy. But it was only today that I found out that he actually knows nothing about cameras, it's his Mexican/Caribbean tech (who is definitely south of 50) who does all the work.

I only went to this shop in Queens to avoid shipping cameras back and forth to the guy in Vermont who Peter recommended and who does good work. Guess I'm going back to him then :-\

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1487 on: February 19, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
For me, good work is always important. I once read that someone once said that "cheap is always too expensive". In a sense, they were right.
Today I got my shoes back from the leathersmith. The re-sole job he did cost a bit more than at other places but he used top quality materials that almost guarantee that he won't have to do the job ever again. Same thing with cameras.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1488 on: February 20, 2015, 12:33:13 AM »

I once read that someone once said that "cheap is always too expensive". In a sense, they were right.
Woo HOOO! I'm tossing those crappy Brownies and buying me a Hassleblad!! (not)
Actually there is a sense of "you get what you pray for". You just have to know what the desired outcome is and pay accordingly.
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1489 on: February 20, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »
I agree with both of you. There's an old garment district saying "cheat me on the price but not on the goods" which basically means the same thing :)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1490 on: February 20, 2015, 01:26:49 AM »
If you ever get in a pinch for repairs, let me know. Can't promise anything, but if I have the time I can handle a lot of common repair stuff at least.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1491 on: February 21, 2015, 05:48:20 PM »
More preisely built? A Holga?
Isn't that a contradiction? ;)
Your right Francois... well the first test roll is ruined! ;D Not sure how but the back opened in full sunlight! I should learn my lesson and tape every single holga! even more precisely built ones.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:50:30 PM by tkmedia »
tk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1492 on: February 21, 2015, 09:16:11 PM »
On my big holga I always used a rubberband...
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #1493 on: February 24, 2015, 04:06:46 PM »
Back to 'I just picked up';

A surprise secondhand store find, an Olympus OM-4T for $30. Took a bit of a risk as the batteries were dead and it was two days before I could source a set of 675 silver oxide batteries for it. Works fine, everything as it should be. What a nice camera and, finally, adjustable eyepiece diopter. Still have the first roll of B&W in it but should finish it today. This is my very first battery dependant camera and I'm finally coming to trust them. 

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1494 on: February 25, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »

A surprise secondhand store find, an Olympus OM-4T for $30. Took a bit of a risk as the batteries were dead and it was two days before I could source a set of 675 silver oxide batteries for it. Works fine, everything as it should be. What a nice camera and, finally, adjustable eyepiece diopter. Still have the first roll of B&W in it but should finish it today. This is my very first battery dependant camera and I'm finally coming to trust them. 
very nice find! but you should know that it likes to eat batteries. I think the T model is a bit improved over the original but still, I'd always set it at a mechanical time when not in use. seems to help
/jonas

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #1495 on: February 27, 2015, 02:01:04 AM »

very nice find! but you should know that it likes to eat batteries. I think the T model is a bit improved over the original but still, I'd always set it at a mechanical time when not in use. seems to help

Wow, a good deal!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1496 on: February 27, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »
I picked up 3 bargains last night at our club auction
1 Nikkormat FTN + 50F2  £10

2 Plustek 7500i scanner hardly used £12

3 18 rolls of B+W film 8 original Agfa APX100 £2

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1497 on: February 27, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
I just received ... the Holga 120WPC that Urban sent me! Our 3-month gear swap has finally been consummated! :D I've put in a roll of Acros in and I am rudely reminded how much of a mindf*ck pinhole exposure times can be  :o I think I'll use this roll as a test and try a few wildly different exposure times for the same scene and see what comes out best.

Also will be my first time loading 120 film onto a Paterson reel. Does the paper backing come off easily?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1498 on: February 27, 2015, 10:55:54 PM »
Also will be my first time loading 120 film onto a Paterson reel. Does the paper backing come off easily?

It's held on by one piece of tape at the leading edge of the the film.  Just tear it off but be careful not to crease the film.  Don't be afraid to leave some tape on the film.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1499 on: February 27, 2015, 11:08:52 PM »
I just received ... the Holga 120WPC that Urban sent me! Our 3-month gear swap has finally been consummated! :D I've put in a roll of Acros in and I am rudely reminded how much of a mindf*ck pinhole exposure times can be  :o I think I'll use this roll as a test and try a few wildly different exposure times for the same scene and see what comes out best.

I think you will find that Acros is almost embarrassingly forgiving and is not bothered with reciprocity failure <Acros says, "I'll be damned if you're gonna blame me for bad exposures!!">  :P
Flickr
Blogger