Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842501 times)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #1350 on: January 04, 2015, 07:56:18 AM »
I just found this at a Garage Sale yesterday and couldn't walk away from it.  The entire kit was $175 without a lens.  I slapped an old Kodak Kodar 131mm f:7.9 lens on it to check it out.  I need to get another lens board to put my Ilex Paragon Anastigmat f:4.5 E.F. 5 1/2"/140mm lens and Ilex No. 3 Acme Synchro shutter on it.  I may take a few shots with the Kodak lens to see how it does.  I'm not sure I got a great deal on it but at least I could check it out before buying it and didn't have to pay shipping.  The guy I bought it from used to be a professional photographer who did portraits and landscapes.  Now I need to start shooting more 4x5 film.  I already have some Polaroid backs for when I get my New 55 film. 

the Kit includes:
Graflex Corwn Graphic camera body
Kalart Synchronized Range Finder.
4 - 4x5 film holders.
Graphic Film Pack Adapter.
Grafmatic Film Holder.
"22" Graphic 120 film back.
Graflex Graflite I-Cell Extension Tube.
Graflex Flash.
Metal case.

Hey Bryan! Nice score!

I've been slacking, meaning to post, but I picked up nearly the identical kit the first weekend in December in micro size: a 2x3 Crown Graphic in the same funky green case. Mine was missing the flash shield but had the Ektar 101mm (off getting CLA'd now) with sixteen film holders and the "22" back: $75 USD.

I've since bought a Vivitar flash handle, replacement ground glass, and I might pick up a 6x7 Mamiya back off a friend. I nearly bought a compatible Kalart flash today for $12, but figured it would only be for show because I wouldn't intend to shoot with flash bulbs more than once or twice.

It's killing me to wait for the shutter & lens to come back. I should probably shoot some pinholes while I wait. I nearly did it myself after our chat, but I kept reading that the Ektar 101mm is one of the better lenses for the baby Graflex and I didn't want to screw it up. :)

Leonore, you'll have to tell me how you're getting on with yours!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1351 on: January 04, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
Wanna trade Arizona for a mixture of ice drizzle, rain, snow?  ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1352 on: January 04, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »
I just found this at a Garage Sale yesterday and couldn't walk away from it.  The entire kit was $175 without a lens.  I slapped an old Kodak Kodar 131mm f:7.9 lens on it to check it out.  I need to get another lens board to put my Ilex Paragon Anastigmat f:4.5 E.F. 5 1/2"/140mm lens and Ilex No. 3 Acme Synchro shutter on it.  I may take a few shots with the Kodak lens to see how it does.  I'm not sure I got a great deal on it but at least I could check it out before buying it and didn't have to pay shipping.  The guy I bought it from used to be a professional photographer who did portraits and landscapes.  Now I need to start shooting more 4x5 film.  I already have some Polaroid backs for when I get my New 55 film. 

the Kit includes:
Graflex Corwn Graphic camera body
Kalart Synchronized Range Finder.
4 - 4x5 film holders.
Graphic Film Pack Adapter.
Grafmatic Film Holder.
"22" Graphic 120 film back.
Graflex Graflite I-Cell Extension Tube.
Graflex Flash.
Metal case.

Hey Bryan! Nice score!

I've been slacking, meaning to post, but I picked up nearly the identical kit the first weekend in December in micro size: a 2x3 Crown Graphic in the same funky green case. Mine was missing the flash shield but had the Ektar 101mm (off getting CLA'd now) with sixteen film holders and the "22" back: $75 USD.

I've since bought a Vivitar flash handle, replacement ground glass, and I might pick up a 6x7 Mamiya back off a friend. I nearly bought a compatible Kalart flash today for $12, but figured it would only be for show because I wouldn't intend to shoot with flash bulbs more than once or twice.

It's killing me to wait for the shutter & lens to come back. I should probably shoot some pinholes while I wait. I nearly did it myself after our chat, but I kept reading that the Ektar 101mm is one of the better lenses for the baby Graflex and I didn't want to screw it up. :)

Awesome Jack, that Ektar Lens alone would be a good deal for $75.  I ended up getting a Graflex Optar f/4.7 135mm.  I gave it a flush with lighter fluid and it works great now.  You can make a Star Wars Light Saber out of the Graflex flash, that's what they used in the movies. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #1353 on: January 04, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
I just found this at a Garage Sale yesterday and couldn't walk away from it. 

You can make a Star Wars Light Saber out of the Graflex flash, that's what they used in the movies.

Get some GE #5 flashbulbs and do some indoor shots in a darkish room. You won't be disappointed. The flash with the large 7" reflector gives a beautiful bath of light with natural fall off at the edges using a 135mm lens at f/22. It is a completely different look than the point light of electronic flashes. I also enjoy the "WHOA!" reaction from the people in the room. It is a really bright flash and you get some heat off it out to about 10 feet as well. The bulbs are an extra expense, but I find it worth it.

Reception1 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:00:10 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #1354 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:23 AM »
Hey Bryan! Nice score!

Definitely! I have a roll back for mine but I'd really like to use the 2x3 film. Freestyle I believe sells some by Ilford and their own Arista. I just have to figure out how to develop 2x3. I'm envious of your 16 film holders! :)

Wanna trade Arizona for a mixture of ice drizzle, rain, snow?  ;)

We're in northern Arizona at the moment and there was a big snowstorm on New Year's Eve. Still snow on the ground, in fact. So maybe it's not all that different at the moment ;)

And while here, we're poking through antique stores as we like to do. Today, 02 spotted a Polaroid Portrait Lens kit #581 for my Land Camera 100. It was then mine for $6. So excited!
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1355 on: January 07, 2015, 03:59:49 AM »
It isn't exactly "film" related exclusively, but it is for me. I just got a Huion H610 Pro tablet. I can't believe I went so long doing retouching with a mouse. This thing is like magic! I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure I could live without it at this point. For the price (~$70) it is now one of the indispensable peripherals in my workflow. Take a look, then buy one.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

huevos_rancheros

« Reply #1356 on: January 07, 2015, 05:38:40 AM »
It isn't exactly "film" related exclusively, but it is for me. I just got a Huion H610 Pro tablet. I can't believe I went so long doing retouching with a mouse. This thing is like magic! I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure I could live without it at this point. For the price (~$70) it is now one of the indispensable peripherals in my workflow. Take a look, then buy one.

Wow, how incredible for the price!

definitely going to be picking one of these up!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1357 on: January 07, 2015, 07:29:44 AM »
I've been looking for a closeup lens for my Rolleiflex for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Today I was organizing my closet full of camera stuff when I found two boxes with lenses shoved way in the back.  I remember someone sent them to me for free with something else I bought on eBay several years ago.  They didn't know what they were for and neither did I at the time.  When I found them today I realized that they are Rondo 1 and 2 close-up lenses for a Rolleiflex and Yashica Mat.  They're not top quality but they both appear to be in perfect condition.  Not something "I just picked up" but they are like new to me, talk about dumb luck.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #1358 on: January 07, 2015, 10:45:58 AM »

I have been using a Bamboo, one of the simpler versions, for years now. I get the "mouse-arm" very easily, and after using track balls and all sorts of pointing devices, have settled for a tablet. As you say, one main advantage is when spotting your scans, much easier and quicker than with a mouse. Well worth it.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #1359 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »

I have been using a Bamboo, one of the simpler versions, for years now. I get the "mouse-arm" very easily, and after using track balls and all sorts of pointing devices, have settled for a tablet. As you say, one main advantage is when spotting your scans, much easier and quicker than with a mouse. Well worth it.

If it makes cleaning up dust and hairs from scans, I'll have to give this a look as that is the one job I detest when processing.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1360 on: January 07, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
I too have the small bamboo from wacom. The only thing I don't like about it is how small it is.
But when dusting scans it's really good. The nice thing is that it's pressure sensitive. Press lightli for light touches, hard for deep marks.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1361 on: January 07, 2015, 03:33:48 PM »
I too have the small bamboo from wacom. The only thing I don't like about it is how small it is.
But when dusting scans it's really good. The nice thing is that it's pressure sensitive. Press lightli for light touches, hard for deep marks.
I thought getting a bigger model would be better, but I ended up configuring it so I only use about a 4x6 section of the tablet. The variable pressure sensitivity is definitely the shiznit. I set the healing brush size to something like 30px and I can draw over fine hairs or big blobs without changing the brush. I haven't quite figured out an easy way to zoom in/out in PS yet, but it is probably just a google away. Maybe a tablet tips/tricks thread would be good to have in the Resources section?
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1362 on: January 07, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »
Can anyone confirm or deny that these tablets work with GIMP? Sounds like a great thing, but it does me no good if it doesn't play nice with my software.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #1363 on: January 07, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
Can anyone confirm or deny that these tablets work with GIMP? Sounds like a great thing, but it does me no good if it doesn't play nice with my software.

Amazon has an answer to a question as follows:

It will work with any software that supports pressure sensitivity, so if coral does then yes it will. Personally I use gimp.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1364 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
The tablets usually work through the Human User Interface part of the OS. So compatibility is usually not a problem unless the programmers did something really nasty.
Francois

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #1365 on: January 07, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
After reading the above I ordered myself a Huion H610 Pro tablet which will arrive tomorrow, I can't afford it at the moment but never mind, looking forward to using it.
verianthomas.com

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1366 on: January 08, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
around A5 is a good size for tablets. I've had two, the later one a wacom (same manufacturer as the bamboo) and it's swell for drawing with on the computer (what I used them for).
I've tried larger ones around A4 but the only difference I got was that I got tired in my arm faster from using it. the small ones are pretty precise from the start.
/jonas

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #1367 on: January 11, 2015, 06:59:56 AM »
Don't have them yet but I have a Zenit ttl and a Photosniper heading my way :)

This thread also inspired me to dig my graphics tablet from the loft, glad I did now

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #1368 on: January 12, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
My graphic tablet arrived on Friday, I've used it, and, well, I may be a little bit in love with it now.
verianthomas.com

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #1369 on: January 12, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »
My graphic tablet arrived on Friday, I've used it, and, well, I may be a little bit in love with it now.

I might have to think about getting one of those.  I watched a Youtube thing about how to use an Intuos version and it seemed really good.  I use an Apple Track-pad at the moment and suspect it's a bit like a bigger, grown-up version of that.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1370 on: January 12, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
The main advantage is speed. Where you point the pen is where the pointer is on the screen. No-scrolling. And yet it is very accurate. Mine can be used with pen and without (touch sensitive). I much prefer pen, even if I have to pick it up and put it down all the time (quickly becomes second nature).
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1371 on: January 12, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »
On mine I disabled the touch feature. I simply found it annoying as it makes the tablet act like a big trackpad. I also discovered that when the touch feature is on, just laying a piece of paper on it makes the pointer go crazy.
Francois

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #1372 on: January 12, 2015, 09:27:42 PM »
A friend just went to the Punjab and brought me back some film. Nothing supercool or funky but the kodak with Hindi (it could also be Urdu - satish or anyone else, got a clue?) is fun. In addition to it being a good pricey daughter may like shooting film from half way around the world.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:29:17 PM by mcduff »
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1373 on: January 12, 2015, 10:29:42 PM »
It just says Colorplus in Hindi. I don't speak or understand Hindi (not well), but I can read and write it because it's the same script as Sanskrit.

For those of you keeping score at home (or stalking me to steal my identity :P ) my mother tongue is Tamil. I can speak and understand Tamil well, but I can't really read it very easily, and definitely can't write it. In addition, Tamil is a diglossic language, so even if I could read it well, I probably wouldn't understand what I'm reading, because I only know the spoken language ;D

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1374 on: January 12, 2015, 10:36:32 PM »
In addition, Tamil is a diglossic language, ...
From now on, whenever someone posts a) mathematical equations or b) $13 college words, I am going to counter with a picture of a pretty flower. That's just the way it's going to be.

Can I get a ruling from the line judge?? Yes, diglossic is a "flower foul".

The bee and the coral tree by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1375 on: January 12, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »
Diglossic just means the words are used in two different dialects.

I remember reading years ago in shutterbug a warning about gray market films. They said many of those came from India and were odd emulsions that were badly stored and packaged as big brand names... this was in the early 1990's and I suspect they were doing this to protect Kodak's market. If it had been known that there aren't that many film manufacturing sites and that out of date film is still quite usable, they would have had big losses.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1376 on: January 12, 2015, 11:13:39 PM »
In addition, Tamil is a diglossic language, ...
From now on, whenever someone posts a) mathematical equations or b) $13 college words, I am going to counter with a picture of a pretty flower. That's just the way it's going to be.

Can I get a ruling from the line judge?? Yes, diglossic is a "flower foul".

I agree, flower foul, I hope you have a lot of flower photos. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1377 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:16 PM »
1. I love that flower shot ... the bee/fly/insect you captured right as it was about to settle on the leaf is the best part.

2. Diglossic doesn't exactly mean 2 different dialects, but it's close enough for FW. There is a "high" or formal version of the language that is used in print and for news broadcasts. The "low" version is the colloquial version of the language that is used in everyday speech (and actually all speech, even if I was speaking to the Prime Minister, I'd use the "low" dialect). An interesting, although still not 100% analogy, is that "hood rats" from the ghettos of New York speak a version of English that is pretty far removed from formal (American) English, however they can still read the New York Times (written in the "high" version of American English) and understand it.

3. I'm pretty sure James has more flower shots than any of us. For that, I love him :)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #1378 on: January 13, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »
Perhaps if a word needs googling then it's a flower foul, that's my tittynope on the subject anyway.
verianthomas.com

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #1379 on: January 13, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
...that's my tittynope on the subject anyway.
hats off to you Verian... post of the day... :) That certainly deserves a pretty flower, something xenogamous perhaps?
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1380 on: January 13, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »
Sesquipedalianism aside... I hope others will join my cause and struggle against the left-brainies.

Life and Death by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:25:33 PM by jharr »
Flickr
Blogger

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #1381 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »
hang on a minute, if the referee is doing it we need a foul for the caller of flower fouls. I suggest this picture:

verianthomas.com

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #1382 on: January 16, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »
Sometimes stuff that are just to temping shows up when I really should focus on paying my bills, but hey!

Seitz Roundshot 65-EL became mine this afternoon  ;D

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1383 on: January 16, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
Ooops. Eeh, I mean congratulations, of course. Hope you have enough left over for day old bread and water for the next two moons. :D ;)
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1384 on: January 16, 2015, 04:14:47 PM »
Had to do some Googling to figure out what the Roundshot 65-EL is, very cool.  Can't wait to see what it does, if you can still afford film.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #1385 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:30 PM »
..a Kiev 60 and a Mir 38B both in excellent condition for for $138.-

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1386 on: January 16, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »
Nice grab Fluminian. I have considered the Kiev 60 so many times, but I keep holding out for the Pentacon Six. I'll look forward to seeing your photos. Maybe redscale some 120 and shoot it for Red Feb!
Flickr
Blogger

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #1387 on: January 16, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »
Ooops. Eeh, I mean congratulations, of course. Hope you have enough left over for day old bread and water for the next two moons. :D ;)

Thanks Ezzie, where you interested in picking it up as well?
Heppy to lend it to you anytime if you (as I do) need to get it out of your system.

BAC1967, I already have some fresh film in the fridge so I should be good for now - thanks  ;)

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1388 on: January 17, 2015, 09:04:34 AM »
I have a thing for panoramic cameras, as you know. I dare not try the Roundshot out in case I want to keep it. At the moment I've a soft spot for Noblex and Widepan, one of which I may be able to afford keeping. ;)

Reports on how you and Seitz get on however would be most welcome. :D
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1389 on: January 17, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »
I have the same fascination for them. That's why I got the limo spinner. It's the cheapest 360 camera I could get and I must admit it's not too bad for the price. The only thing I find missing is speed control and more than two apertures. But I can live with it.
Francois

huevos_rancheros

« Reply #1390 on: January 18, 2015, 01:30:24 AM »
Just picked up a Mamiya RZ67 with some extra money i had from selling old gear.

Got a 120 & polaroid back, a winder, the great 110mm 2.8 lens, & of course the body, bought for $400.

Really love shooting Polaroids on this, i thought i would be more bothered by the black lines on the sides, but i love the results you can get with this back!

I had a lot of fun the day i got it in the mail, so here is me a mushroom!

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #1391 on: January 18, 2015, 02:06:28 PM »
Congrats, huevos_rancheros.

I have always wanted a Mamiya RZ67, but was afraid I won't use it much because of the weight.
The images it produces are fantastic though.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1392 on: January 18, 2015, 03:14:05 PM »
Just picked up a Mamiya RZ67 with some extra money i had from selling old gear.

Got a 120 & polaroid back, a winder, the great 110mm 2.8 lens, & of course the body, bought for $400.

Really love shooting Polaroids on this, i thought i would be more bothered by the black lines on the sides, but i love the results you can get with this back!

I had a lot of fun the day i got it in the mail, so here is me a mushroom!

quite nice! :)

also, I didn't know the mamiya rb/rz67 system had a 2.8 lens. ...intruiging ;)
/jonas

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1393 on: January 18, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
I was just at my parents house yesterday and found the first camera I ever owned, a Kodak Instamatic X-15F.  I got it new around 1976 and used it for several years until I got something better.  I also found my Fathers old Yashica Lynx-1000.  It needs work, the shutter is sticking and the light meter is not responding.  He had a story about how he got it.  He was working in Louisiana in the 1960's and one of his co-workers couldn't get a parking permit due to a bad driving record.  He said the guy was quite a party animal.  My Father traded him his parking permit for the camera.  He got a lot of use out of it, many of our early family photos were taken with it.  At the time he was working for Boeing and was contracted to NASA to help build the Saturn V rocket which was built near New Orleans. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1394 on: January 18, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »
Bryan, those Yashica cameras are so nice, hope you can manage to get it back in working order.

I went to the post office yesterday to pick up a lens I bought off the bay. It's a Nikkor N-C 2,8 24mm for my Nikkormat FTn. It's very nice and squeaky clean, the only fault I could find is a little squeak from the focus ring. Of cause I had to take it for a spin this morning.......

Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

huevos_rancheros

« Reply #1395 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:33 PM »
Thanks Fluminian! That's the first thing i did, was weigh the thing, (just a tad under six #'s!) but i got used to the weight after lugging it around for awhile.haha

jojonas, That was partly what made me do it, and man is this sharp, just on the Polaroids too! Ill post some shots in the weekend thread after i process!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1396 on: January 20, 2015, 08:48:34 PM »
My GAS has gotten the better of me lately, though to be fair these were priced where I suspect many of you would have succumbed to the temptation.

Up first is lovely little Mamiyaflex Automat A. Fascinating little camera - clearly a Rolleicord derivative, but with a different and very complex automatic frame counter arrangement. The shutter release is nice and large and falls perfectly to hand. Perhaps the most unusual characteristic, however, is that it is fitted with Olympus lenses; from what I'm able to discover, early top-of-the-line Mamiya cameras used Olympus Tessar-formula lenses, while those with triplets used Mamiya's own glass. I had to do a little cleaning and some service and repair (thank you, Mamiya engineers, for making this camera so easy to disassemble), but overall it's in great shape.

Next is a camera I've been thinking about for quite a while, a Voigtländer Bessa II. Those of you familiar with these already know how relatively rare they are (and how pricey they can get); though mine has the lowest-spec Color Skopar lens, the whole camera is just a work of art. This one was dirty but seemingly barely used. I cleaned it up and serviced the shutter and it's working great. Since it saw so little use, the front standard is rock solid. It's big, and it's not the easiest camera to use, but based on my experience with other Voigtländers I have high hopes for both the camera and the massive 6x9 frames it produces.

Now I need to stock up on 120 film.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1397 on: January 20, 2015, 09:30:37 PM »
As usual, I only get the most expensive stuff available... in my dreams!
And then, I wake-up and go for the lowest cost on pretty much everything I buy.
This morning the postman brought me a nifty close-up adapter for my instax mini. It allows me to take shots closer than the minimal 60cm that is written on the camera. And it comes with a selfie mirror that shows you what's going to be in the frame when you press the shutter. And to my surprise it works very well!
Francois

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1398 on: January 21, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
My wife went to an auction and phoned me while she was there to say there was a camera there that looked in a good condition do I want it . I said  okay but don't bother going more than £45 so fitstly she got confused and bid on the wrong one so I got the arlette!1a and 11 boxes of flashbulbs and 1 pack of magic cubesand a fish eye lens, for £15 then she bid on the correct one and I got the mint condition Zenit TTL, 3 lenses (35mm/58 and a 135mm)  3 extension tubes and a Hanimex flash for £40 in the flight case. If anyone can make use of the flash bulb just pm me.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1399 on: January 21, 2015, 11:22:58 PM »
SCORE!!   
Flickr
Blogger