Author Topic: [ON/OFF TOPIC]Instagram’s New Terms of Service  (Read 5620 times)

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
[ON/OFF TOPIC]Instagram’s New Terms of Service
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
Maybe it's interesting for all Instagram users here. There will be new terms of service (Januay, 16th)
They can sell your images without paying you.

“To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you.”
http://www.salon.com/2012/12/18/your_instagram_photos_might_be_in_ads_soon/

The only thing you can do is to delete your account before Jan, 16th.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:04:33 PM by Leon »

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
Re: Instagram’s New Terms of Service
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:05:15 PM »
I printed all my photos at Prinstabooks.com They will print all of your prints for $.50 a print, or $10 per album.

I also downloaded all my photos through Instaport.me It puts all your instagram photos into a zip file that you can download.

Once I have them saved, and they've been printed, I'm deleting my account.
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:09:29 PM »
Never used Instagram and to be honest I've no idea what it is.  I did read today that they now want to claim full rights to any images posted using their service.  I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »
Well... that's pretty low.
They're quickly becoming the Facebook of instant phonography.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:44:02 PM »
Well... that's pretty low.
They're quickly becoming the Facebook of instant phonography.

Strange that ... Now, I wonder who owns instagram?

PS - what is an instagram? Does it take film? If not, why the effing EFF are we discussing it here  ???  ;D  :o
L.

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »
I expect them to backpedal on this blunder. Here's an official response: http://blog.instagram.com/post/38252135408/thank-you-and-were-listening

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 12:41:44 AM »
I have an Instagram, no it does not take film and yes Leon, I was quietly wondering that myself.....
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:16 AM »
And look who's suspended their account...
https://twitter.com/nickbilton/status/281188124510527488/photo/1

Man... never felt so good owning a bunch of crap plastic cameras!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:31:28 AM by sapata »

mobilene

• 35mm
    • Down the Road
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 01:54:10 AM »
Heh. One of my favorite things to do on Instagram is to take my digitized film photos, upload them to my iPhone, and then crop and filter them on Instagram, just for fun.  You're now the only people who know!

Jim Grey
Indianapolis

http://blog.jimgrey.net

Aki

• 35mm
    • A Language All My Own
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 02:11:59 AM »
I was using Instagram, but I must say I get far better 'filter' effects from expired films when coupled with my sloppy exposure, focus and development techniques.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 03:06:08 AM »
I quit instagram as soon as i caught wind of facebook taking it over. It was only a matter of time before they would pull the same stunts that they did with facebook and their photo terms of use. No thanks.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 03:49:20 AM »
Reminds me of a line from a song I like:

"Though we might have precious little, it's still precious".

As far as I know, the photos (film and otherwise) I post on the web are worth precisely nothing until, of course, the point where someone decides that they want to use them to promote their goods and/or services; at which point they acquire a value, however nominal.

That said, they are my photos / images and no (anti)social website should be able to sneak me out of either copyright or claim that they can use them, at will, for their profit (financial or otherwise) without asking me for (and receiving) my (or my estate's) explicit permission beforehand. It's just simple, good manners and honourable business practice.

There's nothing I have posted anywhere on the web that I wouldn't delete in an instant if I thought some entity intended to take unreasonable liberties with it or fail to protect it as best they could against theft or use against my will or knowledge.

I know most of us pay precisely zero to post most of our stuff but that's up to the website. If they don't earn enough from advertising to cover expenses and they're not able to stand the cost themselves, then charge a fee. I'm sure many (if not most or all) would pay something reasonable if web hosts asked and could prove their value.

We live in dangerous times, folks, when our governments allow anyone to take what is ours, conceptually, intellectually or even physically, from under our noses by warrant of some weasel words imposed upon us without the necessity for us to agree or the ability to opt out.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 07:45:44 AM »
I have an Instagram, no it does not take film and yes Leon, I was quietly wondering that myself.....

Glad it wasn't only me.

Please try and keep it film related people. Its what we are all about.

There is a wider point to be made about ownership of IP and service agreement on the interwebs ... But I think its quite old now. We need to be savvy about what we use to share our pics, but i guess that any free service has to be too good to be true - a commercial enterprise will always want its pound of flesh.

This, of course, is why filmwasters is so great ... Free at the point of delivery, to coin a phrase (cough).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:33:29 AM by Leon »
L.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
Re: [OFF TOPIC]Instagram’s New Terms of Service
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »
Mines all pix of 100% unfiltered CATS. They're welcome to sell em. Its just an app, it aint film so I really don't give a monkeys.  8)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 10:31:26 AM »
I wonder about the resolution of these pictures posted with the instagram (or any other mobile phone app) and how these companies can use these pictures. I don't own a decent phone that can take good pictures but if I had and decided to use such app, I imagine I'd post my pictures in the same way as I post any other picture on the web: with a low resolution.

Now, my question is: Are pictures in low-res good enough for companies to make money? If so, all my pictures posted on the web are likely to be stolen in the same way aren't they?

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
RE: [OFF TOPIC]Instagram’s New Terms of Service
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »
I use it all the time and will continue to do so; despite badly researched Internet scare stories. I know when Chris Fraser gas made coffee, when Sean is working the night shift, when Ailsa's walking the dog and how Jack Johnson's daughter's black eye is doing. All vital stuff :-)....it's nit real photography though ;-)
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
RE: [OFF TOPIC]Instagram’s New Terms of Service
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
Wow! Posting from my phone certainly affects my spelling!

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
Re: RE: [OFF TOPIC]Instagram’s New Terms of Service
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
I use it all the time and will continue to do so; despite badly researched Internet scare stories. I know when Chris Fraser gas made coffee, when Sean is working the night shift, when Ailsa's walking the dog and how Jack Johnson's daughter's black eye is doing. All vital stuff :-)....it's nit real photography though ;-)

I know when Ed Wenn has baked a loaf of bread  ;D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
...ah of course, I also know that Suzi eats lots of nice food and likes dressing up her cats  ;)

For the record, people, it is ABSOLUTELY relevant to discuss Instagram on FW because it's a photo sharing site. A lot of people who I follow on Instagram post scans of film photos, photos of their film cameras, their film stashes....even digital photos of their negatives hanging up to dry etc.  Sure 99% of Instagram users post photos directly from their phones, but you can post anything you like and I see a lot of film on there.

It's as relevant to FW as a discussion about Flickr.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »
...ah of course, I also know that Suzi eats lots of nice food and likes dressing up her cats  ;)

For the record, people, it is ABSOLUTELY relevant to discuss Instagram on FW because it's a photo sharing site. A lot of people who I follow on Instagram post scans of film photos, photos of their film cameras, their film stashes....even digital photos of their negatives hanging up to dry etc.  Sure 99% of Instagram users post photos directly from their phones, but you can post anything you like and I see a lot of film on there.

It's as relevant to FW as a discussion about Flickr.

I only have 1 cat Ed, I know it seems like more but thats because he has a lot of outfits  8)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »
my apologies - I thought it was just people making fakographs using cameraphones.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that it isn't. 

either way, ignore mr grumpy-bollox over here. I'll restrain my contempt through gritted teeth.

L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
my apologies - I thought it was just people making fakographs using cameraphones.

Yep, 99% of the time it is.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that it isn't. 

99% of the time you'd be right.

either way, ignore mr grumpy-bollox over here. I'll restrain my contempt through gritted teeth.

Well, I do already....99% of the time.
 ;) :D ;D :-*

FWIW, Adam Goldberg is a good example of someone who posts a number of film photos and film-related digital photos via Instagram: http://instagram.com/theadamgoldberg/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:14:08 PM by Ed Wenn »

Alan

• Self-Coat
Re: [ON/OFF TOPIC]Instagram’s New Terms of Service
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
yea Ed he's on tumblr too . . . . i think.

i use to get really paranoid about others using my photos without permission, not any more.
if someone uses one of my images in australia, the chances of me knowing about it is
remote tbh.

the images i post are on average 150kb, useless for print but perfect for the web.

and they can be used perfectly well by the likes of instagran, bookface etc for their promotions ONLINE which is where they are going to do their marketing anyway.

i dont like it but i dont worry  >:(

what happens to MY images after I kick the bucket and leave this world?

Can I will them to my nephew?

for instance who has ownership of old photographs where the photographer has passed away?

.... hmm going off to research that now
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:31:13 PM by Alan »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »
what happens to MY images after I kick the bucket and leave this world?

Can I will them to my nephew?

for instance who has ownership of old photographs where the photographer has passed away?

.... hmm going off to research that now

As far as I'm aware, you can leave anything you want in a will - so the answer is "probably".

Ansel Adams' photos are ownd by the Ansel Adams Gallery. Probably soem form of "trust":

http://www.anseladams.com/
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
hmm - found this interesting bit of info . . .

http://copyrightaction.com/faq/how-long-does-copyright-last

70 years after the artists death.

sorry for the morbid chat  :'(

ok back to instagram  .....

Francois

• Self-Coat
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
I use (used) it for mainly phone photos, but, I have also started posting film stuff there too. They seem to be back-pedalling quite quickly, which is good.

I have never felt that any of my images are particularly safe out there and am kinda okay with that. I guess that is the price we pay, but, I won't leave them somewhere where the terms and conditions  state that they can do what they damn please whether I like it or not.

Like others have pointed out though, these companies aren't in it for fun - you don't buy something for a billion dollars unless there is something in for you.

François, thanks for the CNN link.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 07:10:57 PM »
I never really embraced Instafake anyway, I only had a grand total of 29 photos.

But I did have them printed at prinstabooks.com just for a hard copy, an I imported them all through instaport.me yesterday.  I did have at least one of my beloved pet that I lost back in July, so it was important for me to keep those.

However, I am proud to say that I have just deleted my instagram account, and the app. I'm not believing all the backtracking BS either. They made their bed, and the sheets are already in the wash.
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss