Author Topic: Getting started with Polaroid  (Read 1821 times)

Lori

Getting started with Polaroid
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:00:09 PM »
Hello Filmwasters

A photographer in our neighborhood used to take Polaroids of kids on Halloween. See http://www2.jsonline.com/news/site/slideshow.asp?slideshowid=543&SlideOrder=3
Click to the beginning of the slideshow to see a cool old camera (a 360?) in action!

I?m thinking it would be fun to revive this tradition, but I know nothing about the gear, expense, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good starter Polaroid camera and film? At this point I just want to take instant prints but in the future I might get into transfers. And I'd like to be able to plug in a cord (or use the hotshoe and a cord? or a Pocket Wizard-type trigger?) for an off-camera flash if that's possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Lori.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 07:17:20 PM by Lori »

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: Getting started with Polaroid
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:25:20 PM »
hello,

welcome!

great idea for a project,   easiest polaroid is the 600 series,  (the stuff readily available from shops) this is integral film and fits the new polaroid cameras 9which can be bought off ebay for a couple of pounds) this film isnt very versatile and cant be transferred.

for polaroid transfers you need to use pack film such as 690, 679 etc (confusingly -this isnt referred to as 600 series despite being numbers in the 600's )and for pack film you need either a colourpack 2 or the land cameras like the 240, 260, 340, 360 etc

a great resource is here
http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landdcam.htm

click on pack film for a full list!

or also Jim Skeltons page
http://polaroids.theskeltons.org/

either way great idea and good luck with it!   if you have any other questions fire away

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
should have mentioned that the old cameras can generally be picked up cheaply  -ebay being your best bet.

the film isnt so cheap!  in fact its quite expensive.   in the UK you can get the colour film, expired for maybe ?5 - ?10 a box,   any maybe ?7.50 - ?10 from some webshops,    new -its ?15 for 10 pictures.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:08:57 PM »
Plus! Right here, further info on a range of Polaroid systems can be found here:

Filmwasters Articles Section.

If you want to progress into image transfers, I would start with an auto pack-film camera. Maybe a hard case, as they are so cheap. But, a 360 would also be a good start because of the flash capability. Up market a bit more the 180/190/195 make a damn good machine too flash synching for conventional flash units, and taking all the pack films you can eat...

Feel free to ask specific questions! Skorj.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:49:36 AM by Skorj »

Lori

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 04:42:46 AM »
Great, thanks gents -- the links are inspiring.

This guy gave away the Polaroid prints as Halloween "treats" but that might get a bit expensive... especially considering how many kids came by our house this year!

I'll research this out and let you know how it goes.