Author Topic: 220 film availability  (Read 4108 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
220 film availability
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:31:22 PM »
Irv_b recently started a thread about 220 film development which made me wonder about the availability of 220 films today. I've checked a number of web shops, but all I can find in the 220 format is Kodak Portra. For some reason it seems that you have to pay more per frame for 220 than 120! Has any of you seen other film types that are still in production in the 220 format?
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Re: 220 film availability
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »
I'm not sure that is still being made....
you can still find it on the auctions sites though.
IMHO, it's not worth going after.

Becky

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »
I've only spotted Portra (new) in the UK but I have some Velvia in the fridge and a few other bits and bobs (can't remember exactly).  I agree with Becky, the cost of it and the faff of trying to find somewhere that will process it isn't worth the benefit of having to re-load after 24 instead of 12.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
220 never was very popular since you needed a special back to use it...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »
I agree with Becky that buying outdated film on auctions is not worth the money. I still have a couple of Fuji Reala Ace 220 in the fridge, that has been a favourite. I have shot very little Portra, honestly I do not like it a lot. Maybe it's the way I expose it that's the problem. I will probably give it a go once more. Getting 220 colour negative film processed is not a problem here, but the last shop in this country that processed slide film has now stopped doing it. So the alternatives for slides is sending it abroad or doing it myself. In most situations using 120 film is ok, but sometimes your motif will be gone while you're busy changing film. As for film backs I'm lucky enough to have several cameras that will take 220.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:17:13 AM »
220 never was very popular since you needed a special back to use it...
Side note: The Yashica Mat 124G will shoot 120 and 220 with an adjustment of the pressure plate and the Bronica S2a standard back will shoot both formats with a flip of a switch.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 05:51:21 PM »
Adjustment of the pressure plate seems to have been the most common way of doing it. The Mamiya backs for Mamiya Press / Universal and Polaroid 600SE has this system. Then there is the Pentacon Six where you do not have to do anything except to press a release button when you have reached 12 exposures, then you can just continue shooting. The most advanced is the Contax 645 which has a vacuum film back that ensures that the film will be absolutely flat during exposure. But it will not work with 120 film because of the backing paper.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 06:47:20 PM »
Last time there was a fire sale on Portra 220, I bought 10 rolls and ended up cutting them in half and re-rolling onto 120 backing papers. I don't have the patience for 24 mf exposures.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »
As have been said 220 isn't in production anymore the only reason I bought it was because I have a 220 back for the Bronny and for the Koni. Mine is Porta (2008 expired)  from Mr Cad which Kodak found while clearing out a storeroom but it shoots well enough and I prefer having to change rolls less often to be honest.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
As have been said 220 isn't in production anymore

So, another set-back for film photography. :(
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki