Author Topic: I just started using Flickr: Any advice?  (Read 2713 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
I just started using Flickr: Any advice?
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:06:13 PM »
I just opened a Flicker account. Since it's Roid Week, I wanted to participate. And now I've posted my first 4 pictures to my account. I've already seen that I could easily get addicted, and eat up A LOT of time posting things there, but I'm wondering if it's really worth it. Is anyone here using it and making sales or conntacts through it?

Also, what size files do you post? Any tips? Should I join & post to every group that asks me? Is that how I become visible? Does being visible on Flickr matter? How do I make sure that it is know that my images are not to be taken without  permission?

Are there any advantages to opening a 'pro' account? How does one use Flickr to your advantage?

I know this is a lot of questions for so early in the morning. Thanks in advance!

BTW, my Flickr address is: http://www.flickr.com/gothamtomato  (of course!)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: I just started using Flickr: Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
the pro account allows unlimited photos. free account caps at 200.

flickr is what you make of it! it's good exposure for your stuff. what you do with groups and comments just depends on how involved you want to be with it.

i wouldn't post anything bigger than maybe 800-1200 pixels wide, just to make it tougher to print out high quality copies of your stuff. not much you can do to prevent theft besides disable multiple views, but that's kind of boring and pretentious to do so, i think. i usually pass over shots of i can't get a closer look at.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »
it all depends on what you want.  If it's exposure a pro account is advantageous for keyword searches. Non pro-accounts get downgraded in the results.  You can circumvent that by joining groups, making contacts, etc, etc.

But above all it's a place to spend a few minutes a week having fun. It is not career advancement by any means !

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »
Thanks.

I've also thought of using it for a Blurb book I'm working out. I was thinking I could post the photos in their own 'set' and ask friends & colleagues to help me edit (either tell me which images to take out or rearrange the order). Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but thought it might be a helpful use of it.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »
if you don't want your pictures to be viewed by everyone you can make them private and send guest passes to those you'd like to see them.

i've been on flickr for about 5 years, since i started taking pictures really, and i've mostly loved it.
there are some amazing inspirational people there and i've learnt huge amounts thanks to their kindness.
it's easy to ignore what you don't like and create a place that suits you.
to start it might be best to find a few people whose work you enjoy and look at their contacts and favourites and see the groups they post in, otherwise it can be overwhelming.

also i prevent "view all sizes" (sorry sean :) but only because it was a while before i realised i didn't want everyone to have access to the pictures at high res, and reposting hundreds of pics smaller was just not going to happen.....now i usually just add a link to a larger size.

i'll add you as a contact :)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:55:06 PM »
also i prevent "view all sizes" (sorry sean :) but only because it was a while before i realised i didn't want everyone to have access to the pictures at high res, and reposting hundreds of pics smaller was just not going to happen.....now i usually just add a link to a larger size.

i'll add you as a contact :)

Where do you find that 'view all sizes' thing to change it?

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »
go to your account (in the drop down menu on "you") go to "privacy and permissions" and change "who can download" to "you only".

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:09 PM »
I've used flickr since I went d****** a few years back. I post quite a lot onto the site as I use it to back up pics and so that family back in England to see what I'm up to. Also, when I look back through my photostream I can see how my photography has developed as my interest has grown.

Like Vicky, I enjoy the site and I also get a lot of inspiration browsing the site and the groups I've joined.

I too have disabled 'view all sizes' but have chosen to allow friends and family access
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:25:35 PM by Windy »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »
Just over a year ago we had a bit of a Flickr discussion here that may be of interest...you may even have seen it at the time? Worth a look anyway I'd say:

http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1559.0

p.s.
By way of an update my Flickr views are now at 223,306 (and I've posted almost nothing of artistic value there since last year).

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:24:13 AM »
HRD pron kittens harajuku asian schoolgirls D3x roberto

(Good luck.)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 08:43:47 AM »
I use and am part of the filmwasters group! I just load up images of about 100kb and let people look and take what ever they want since these are low res and generally rubbish work :-)