Author Topic: OT: QRcode madness for total geeks  (Read 2476 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
OT: QRcode madness for total geeks
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »
Yesterday, I've found something on Instructables that fills the need for more geeky material!

Those who already know what these are, you're on your way. If you own something with one of these, you're definitely a geek (or you live in Japan where they're incredibly popular I read). I'm talking about QRcodes or, as some might know them, 2D barcodes.

They're those little squares with random looking patterns that are used on products more often. Well, you can make them yourself. You can even put them to whatever use you want!
If you have a camera phone, there are Java apps that allow you to take a picture and instantly have all the information contained at your fingertip. Perfect for Website promotion. I also found a program called the Psytec QRcode editor which allows the user to create and read back codes using a scanner or digicam. Only problem is it's in Japanese :( I managed to guess the menus but having a proper translation would help (I could permanently convert most of it with the Reshacker).

But anyways, I did take a few minutes to hack a little Filmwasters inspired promo thing. When scanned, it makes an automatic bookmark to the Filmwasters website :)

Hope it spikes your geek vibe as much as it did mine :)

Here's the image

Click and download.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 08:51:13 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: OT: QRcode madness for total geeks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:09:50 AM »
In Japan, you would be called an otaku. I bought a new keitai a few weeks ago, and have been meaning to add Filmwasters to my mobile bookmarks, but never took the time. One click, straight off the PC screen, and there it is (thanks!):

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:20:43 AM by Skorj »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »
This is the type of thing that has me totally puzzled.
No matter which way you frame it, it auto rotates the pattern (2 blocks on top and 2 on the left).
And even if it's relatively small in the picture (not exact framing), the code is still read...
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:47:05 AM »
I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds very impressive.  keep it up Geek Boy
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:25:57 AM »
I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds very impressive.  keep it up Geek Boy

May I predict, one day in the not too distant future, you will have these yourself. We've used QR codes here for at least five years, so give it another few and you might get them there too. Next; music on little plastic disks - called `CDs`, you will love it!

(wikipedia-QR_Code. But what they are really used for is very simple; entry of a URL into a mobile telephone via the camera for browser and other in-phone use, without the need to key all those silly little keystrokes.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:30:45 AM by Skorj »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 12:23:30 PM »
yes, but in Japan, people also eat deadly-poisonous fish and fresh Eel's heart that are still beating - I'll never be doing that.

Before anyone starts crying Stereotyper, and ignorant johnny Foreigner  I am of course being ironic in a post-modern kind of way.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
If you have a bit of time on your hands, get the small program and try it. It's actually quite fun :)

From what I've figured out, first tab is for name , phones (2), e-mails(2) and a note
Second is for a message
Third is a website title and URL
Fourth is a simple message with possibility to encrypt it using a password.

And if you hold shift while opening a file, you'll see all the nitty gritty on the tag's content.

As with everything, it's only a matter of time before the world adopts something that started in Japan :)
Francois

traskblueribbon

• instant junkie
    • flickr stream
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 07:04:27 PM »
I like it. seems it would be a cool way to tag your gear or tag anything really...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »
Skorj was filling me in re QR tags when he visited the UK 3 years ago...all very cool. Francois, thanks for making a FW one.I'll grab it and stick it on the site somewhere more prominent when I get a sec.